Altera

Altera Reviews in Toronto, ON

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Altera Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Daane

John P. Daane

Pros
  • Average work load and work life balance as a design engineer (in 28 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work on interesting, cutting edge technology (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Still you can not have work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Not much options for career advancement (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Altera Toronto Rocks!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe people are so smart here. The work is very interesting. There is a ton of career development and the managers & directors really care. Love the free Metropass and social events.

ConsDealing with the San Jose headquarters can be challenging at times- the time zone and cultural differences can be a big deal. We never seem to have much travel budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more effort on product planning - we seem to be behind in this area.

Altera is Awesome

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsVery friendly people. very helpful and awesome community.

ConsThe job is very demanding and the workplace is very fast paced. If you're a smart person it's for you.

Altera Toronto Tech Center

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsNice location, good facilities, good perks (free drinks, ping pong and foosball), very nice benefits packages and salary. Challenging work. Managers tries really hard to develop employees. Fun group to work with

ConsDemanding work. Very flat organizational structure, which means the chance of promotion to management is slim. Very competitive working environment. A lot of documentation, rules and procedures to follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to lower level staff as much as possible. They would like to know what the management are thinking. Instead of issuing a one sentence strategy statement, try to present it in a more meaningful way to individual contributor at different function.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great workplace, smart engineers

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosdowntown office, professional work environment

Conswork can be overwhelming at times

Interesting research-oriented problems to work on; Great group of engineers to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsExtremely talented group to work with. Great opportunity to challenge yourself with several research-oriented projects.

ConsProduct/segment roadmaps are unclear. Unsure of growth potential of company.

Great tech and opportunities with some annoyances

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAll of the problems we work on are cutting-edge, so there's always something new - so new that lots of people get to publish their work in journals.

There's always more work to do than there is time, which might seem bad but it means that if you automate your current job away, you have nothing to fear since there will always be another valuable project for you to work on.

There's a lot of room for creativity, and with some persistence you can get new projects going. People also move around frequently, with entire teams sometimes changing their mandate from one area to another. At least from a technical perspective, it's easy to get unstuck if you get bored. You can even switch from high-level software to next-generation hardware design - there aren't many places with that kind of flexibility.

ConsSoftware engineering hasn't always been valued as much as "getting things out the door," because we're ultimately about selling hardware, and the software has to be ready to do that come hell or high water. As a result, some of the code quality has suffered over the years. Similarly, our testing and building infrastructure is sub-par. Both of these appear to be improving but there's a way to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncouraging people to be more efficient is nice, but technical leadership and investment are needed as well.

Excellent learning experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsExcellent salary
    TTC pass
    Good location in downtown
    Free breakfast once every month

ConsWork can get boring if you don't like to deal with hardware.

Rewarding hardwork, company direction unknown

Intern (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Really intelligent people
    -Fun work environment
    -Good low level management

Cons-Senior management has no idea what the company direction is.
    -Keep changing goals.
    -Laid off people without reason

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what you want to do ... make up your minds.

Great execution, poor innovation

Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsYou learn a great deal of excellence in execution, good pay and benefit

ConsNot for someone whose passion is innovation

Ok for new graduates - Stay away if you value growth in your career

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe compensation in Toronto is good and new graduates get to do interesting work

ConsIf you value your career and are looking for a dynamic and creative place to grow, then you should definitely avoid this place.
    Advice to new graduates: Don't stay here longer than a year or two.

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!