Altisource

Updated November 24, 2014
2.6

Altisource CEO William B. Shepro
William B. Shepro

Pros
  • Very flexible and good work life balance with very good interaction between teams (in 15 reviews)

• good salary,good opportunities,decent environment and cooperative employer (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Working hours are sometimes very harsh on individuals and work life balance is lop-sided (in 18 reviews)

• There is no work/life balance; no balance at all (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Always in a mode of change

Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have gained valuable industry experience

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities

Develop internal opportunities for employees to grow.

Not about the employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is free coffee in the morning

Cons

Not worker centric
    very hard to get process improvement
    very little team dynamic

A billion dollar company managed by a buffoon

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The potential of this company is tremendous with great opportunities to change the way Real Estate is transacted in the United States

Cons

Micromanagement and an inability for executive management to look past daily escalations and think strategically. Even though this company is 8,000 people strong, all decisions are bottlenecked with one individual who likes to position himself as the company savior. There are companies run from a garage with more diversity and collaboration than Altisource.

Employees are called Human Resources for a reason, they are key to a company's success. Altisource has huge turnover because the executive management team treats other executives like children. Hire well (which Altisource does) and then allow your people to do their job. A senior executive's job is to provide support and clear roadblocks to make their business successful not brow beat business leaders and swoop in at the last minute to create percieved value at the expense of the larger project.

Incompetent Folks Galore - Horrible place. Really Bad Management team. Don't Join..

Current Employee - Asset Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Asset Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can very well put your title as a paycheck recipient. No one cares if you don't work, but you will have to ensure that you don't ask the right or tough questions to anyone, else you will get fired.. Immediately.. I have till now maintained my job as I have stopped asking questions..

Cons

No one can speak up.. As employees are treated with utter disrespect by the management team. The CAO is a dictator living in the 18th century - He is the primary reason for all the attrition and bad culture. Absolutely incompetent.
    The Facilities team is supremely bad.. We have the worst possible infrastructure in a Tech/Financial Services company. The Facilities head is a useless guy who has no sense of what and how the infrastructure should be built. You will see him setting up the stupidest of rules.. For e.g it becomes a huge issue if you do not take your cab to office if you have signed up for it. You will in fact lose your job for doing such things.. The only thing this whole company cares about is to keep squeezing the employees and make whatever small $ possible in the name of cost saving. They are not a tech company and possibly cannot create any tech product which can give them $s hence they try to make whatever is possible from the slave shop.

In short.. Horrible horrible place.. Stay away.

They need a new facility head and also a change in guard in the CAO role as he is the one who creates and enforces that employees be treated with no respect whatsoever in the name of stupid cost saving strategies.. Totally a sad place if you are an employee.. You will be constantly demotivated.

Company doesn't value employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary is about all that comes to mind. Of course this isn't a pro when you realize you will work 1.5 times as much as you would in another job, therefore they are underpaying employees. Additionally, the annual increase is like 1% so it won't take long for competitor pay to surpass Altisource pay.

Cons

You will work 70+ hours per week plus weekends and if you don't, they will find a reason to let you go.
    The culture is a non-trusting, non-empowering form of slave labor where senior management thinks every employee is out to rob the company.
    Global company with offices in 5 countries but they keep cutting travel budgets so you can't visit your staff or properly supervise overseas operations.
    Expense reports take months to approve and no company credit cards so its your money they are holding.
    You are told to take time off, but when you do they question your commitment and interupt your PTO with urgent calls and fire drills.
    Staff is crammed into cubes in every nook and cranny because company won't spend the money on adequate space.
    Company makes all decisions based on financials, not the impact to employees or customers.
    Employees must punch in and out, showing all the overtime you aren't getting paid for.
    There is no work-life balance, just work.

If you spent more resources and effort on taking care of your staff, you would come out ahead because you wouldn't be burning employees out and having to re-hire and re-train new employees every 6 to 12 months. Also, if employees keep leaving under certain managers and executives, maybe you should be looking at replacing that manager or executive. Finally, do a 360 now and again, you might get some valuable information.

Most petty company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Altisource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair salaries for the right skills
    Free coffee? (I'm reaching)

Cons

When people asked me why I resigned my position, I can’t really say it was one specific thing. Here are some of them:

• 10 hour work days are the norms, so they say. Why? No reason, just because. It was very job and manager specific though. Some people are paid by the hour, plus OT over 40 hours, plus do some of it from home, so they didn’t mind at all. I wasn’t a manager and there was no rush for my work so there was absolutely no reason for me to be working 10 hours a day, but I was made to just because my manager had to do it. He didn't seem to understand that he was a manager and I wasn't.

• A lot of the employees work in India and the Philippines which led to an endless amount of frustration when trying to do your job. It isn’t about saving money on salaries though. I made a point to ask why they had this very inefficient way of doing business. My manager told me they do this to avoid US corporate taxes. The company is registered in Luxembourg even though all of their business is in the USA. To be a foreign registered company, a certain percentage of your employees must be based outside the USA, so that was the reason why Indians were reviewing properties even though they had never been to the US nor knew anything about the real estate market. It was the strangest business model I have ever seen.

• They have a finger print reader that you have to sign in on every day. They claim it is to keep track of people’s time off, but that is a lie. If that were the case, you would just have to sign in using your employee ID, but they want to make sure you are there and signing in yourself, so they make you record your fingerprint. That would become a central theme in this company and other reviewers have pointed this out. If you take nothing else from these reviews on Altisource, remember this: Management doesn’t trust the employees. I’ve never seen anything like it.

• Two weeks before Christmas, they laid a bunch of people off in the St. Louis office and cut off their benefits immediately.

• In the Atlanta main office, they are pressed for space, so more than likely, you will be herded into a large cafeteria/call center type area with absolutely no privacy or ability to concentrate.

• Every day you will see a new person walking through the hallways to interview. Every single day. It’s not because they are expanding so much as the high turnover.

• Don’t count on remote access to work some of those long hours away at home. It requires an act of Congress to get it and even then, they won’t give you access to your email or the servers.

• Those that did get to work from home weren’t allowed to work on any screen greater than 15 inches. No dual monitors either. ????

• They also don’t like you to wear ear phones when you work and they will enforce that from time to time.

• You aren’t allowed to drink coffee without a lid on it at your desk . ???? I joked with my friends that I was going to bring my 4 year old niece's sippy cup in and drink out of that.

There is so much I could say, but I would like to remain somewhat anonymous. You should know that I ever never written a review about a company before, and I have worked for dozens. That should tell you something about this place.

I used to joke with my friends that I was working for Potter. If Potter from “It’s a Wonderful Life” had lived and formed a company in mortgage services, it would have been Ocwen/Altisource. I am so glad to be free of that place.

So my advice… if you get a job offer and you don’t have anything else on the table and have bills to pay, take it. You might end up in a better job with a better manager. If you are looking through the reviews, I would sort them by locations in the USA and ones in India. Some of those people in India are just happy to have any job.

In any event, you have to do what you have to do. However, if you have any skills whatsoever and you have another competing job offer, even if it pays less, even if the commute is a little longer, even if anything really, take the other job offer or stay at your current position. The grass is not always greener.

Stop working people to death so they don't jump ship the first offer they get. Don't focus on the trivial things. Trust your employees.

All over the place

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management wants to improve, there is a culture to go fast, the necessary investments are been made, there is change at a super rapid scale

Cons

Too fast, not enough time to fix the current problems and continue at current speed. The incredible fast growth has resulted in a company that is full of legacy processes that do not reflect the size of a company this size. The company wants to be a large company but still operates as a small company in multiple areas, this creates a negative and confusing environment for everyone.

Slow down and fix the current problems, prioritize.

The Environment Is Improving; The Technical Team Is Brilliant

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are two sides to Altisource - the servicing side and the technology side. I can only speak to the technology side - specifically Altisource Labs.

1) Altisource (and Ocwen) is sitting on a pile of cash and they are not afraid to invest. They actively hiring, and they hire only top talent.

2) The technology is leading edge.

3) The technical team is incredibly bright and very effective.

4) The management team recognizes the need for changes to improve the culture here, and they are actively working to make those changes.

5) There is a lot of upside here - both in terms of career growth and wealth generation. Altisource Labs is being set up as a well funded incubator company. It has many of the advantages of the start up with benefits of a long-term investor backing it.

Cons

1) Achieving work life balance is a challenge. It's doable, but starting out of the gate it will be pretty nuts.

2) When Altisource Labs opened an office in Boston almost a year ago, the execution of that decision and how it was communicated to the Atlanta office was handled very poorly. It was very sudden with no follow up, and it left the Atlanta-based team with the impression that they were going to be shut down. This led to a downward spiral in employee morale in Atlanta and an exodus of talent. This is the single greatest issue that has affected the perception of Altisource Labs in the Atlanta area.

3) Altisource Labs hired a bunch of people with experience that was exclusively from start ups, but Altisource Labs is not a pure start up. They are a large company with all of the standard bureaucracy when it comes to infrastructure. This - coupled with the fact that much of the IT support is based in India (making it harder to access), was very frustrating to the people with start up experience.

4) Historically, Altisource Labs has not handled interviews well - especially for technologists. The interviewee has to run a pretty serious gauntlet of tests coupled with a rigorous panel interview. After a significant investment of time and energy to jump through all of the hoops, the candidate may not get hired and is provided very little feedback.

Issue #4 has been acknowledged and is actively being addressed.

Be willing to celebrate the small victories. Culturally, from the very top, this doesn't happen much, but I see change happening at the next level down. Perfect execution is a great goal to target but an unrealistic standard to place on the organization in terms of expectations.

When a team hits a home run or even a double, they need to get high-fives from the executives instead having those wins being taken for granted as meeting expectations.

Claims to be a startup to attract talent - but startup culture not found

Former Employee - Technology in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technology in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary is average but the bonus is excellent.

The employees in the office are excellent. Use to be the best in the city, but with the high turnover only a few of the original are there.

This company, and it's original parent company (Ocwen) profited greatly from the housing crisis, so you don't have to worry about the company running out of money.

Free lunch on Fridays. Free dinner on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

If you don't have much outside obligation (i.e. family) and would like to jump start your career by working hard and working a lot, this is not a bad place to do it. Even after the mass exodus, you'll still be working with some bright people...but bonus season is around the corner, so don't know how many of them will be staying.

Cons

Bureaucracy of a large financial company. For example, it takes 3 weeks to get a virtual machine spun up in their data center. You need to take frequent compliance training. Paperwork gets lost and they've been known to not pay bills on time. It's common for people who have quit, to keep receiving a pay check (maybe that's a pro?)

There is a policy that you need to punch into work everyday (like McDonalds). It's a biometric clock and you use your finger print (so worst than McDonald). If miss a day you'll get hounded, and need to justify why you missed a day. If you could not punch in because you were working from home, you need to get that approved.

Work life balance dependent on project, but mostly not well balanced. Some employees sit there and do nothing, some have a position of a regular 9-5 job....a lot are slaving away. So depending on the roll of the dice, this may be a non-issue.

Altisource has one main customer (Ocwen) that calls all the shots, so if they ask that you bend over, you better bend over.

You earn your bonus during the calendar year, but do not get paid for it until March. If you leave before the March pay out date, you don't get the bonus that you have earned already.

Altisource's legacy products are developed and maintained in India. The US offices are developing the next generation product. If you need to deal with anyone there (which you probably will) you'll be pulling your hair out while on the phone trying to get something accomplished.

Upper management for technology is mostly in Boston, even though Atlanta is the original office. What, is there no talent in Atlanta?

It's been 8 months and still, the CTO position is still unfilled.

HR is understaffed and thus leads to mistakes. Have you ever heard of someone asking for a raise, but end up having his raise given to someone else, because they share the same first name? Ironically, they both ended up quitting.

Even though the compensation at face value is good, but if you end up on one of many projects that work long hours...when you consider you are working 50-60 hours a week you are probably underpaid.

Checkout the cons section.

Not a good working culture.

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast growing company with lots of potential.

Cons

Company is too focused on growth without making sure they can handle what they already have.