Altisource

Altisource Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Altisource CEO William B. Shepro

William B. Shepro

Pros
  • Very flexible and good work life balance with very good interaction between teams(in 17 reviews)

• Good salary, executive team is one of the best and does provide directions and mentoring(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Working hours are sometimes very harsh on individuals and work life balance is lop-sided(in 13 reviews)

• 2> Senior Management in United States, they are not aware of things happening in India(in 11 reviews)

Unprofessional, deceptive, and unethical. Worst company I have worked for.

Valuations Reviewer (Former Employee) Coppell, TX

ProsThe only Pro after Altisource acquired Power Valuation Services was the awesome people that worked there and the ones that were left after the December 9th Layoff (good timing).Two weeks before Christmas and it took over a month to get any severance and Cobra information.

ConsThe product (Hybrid) not an accurate tool for determining any reconciliation of value, the technology that we used to determine such a skewed value was over 20 years out dated. The treatment of middle management and the un realistic pressure to produce on a system that never works correctly. SR management, HR and SR management in India can be categorized as deceptive and heartless.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the very least follow the "Golden Rule" you all apparently forgot since Grade School. Also realize the product you are "pushing" on clients is about 20 years outdated and not very accurate. You had a Diamond (Power Valuation Service) and you exchanged it for cheep, knockoff costume jewelry. As far the bonus and work flow, ridiculous.The ICP was never attainable after July of 2013, the last 8 days on our production month schedule we mysteriously had no work but come the first of the month we were slammed with un realist goals, as are my former colleagues completely swamped now that the

All over the place

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsManagement wants to improve, there is a culture to go fast, the necessary investments are been made, there is change at a super rapid scale

ConsToo fast, not enough time to fix the current problems and continue at current speed. The incredible fast growth has resulted in a company that is full of legacy processes that do not reflect the size of a company this size. The company wants to be a large company but still operates as a small company in multiple areas, this creates a negative and confusing environment for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and fix the current problems, prioritize.

Dishonest, heartless, shady and lacking in compassion for employees

Residential Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosdecent PTO is about all I can say

ConsVery shady business practices. Bonuses are a dangling carrot. They control every aspect of the ICP structure. I still work here and they just completed a layoff of more than half our office 2 weeks before Christmas with an immediate cutoff of all benefits. Heartless. Trying to run the company with 90% of it's employees in India evaluating portfolios of property values in the USA. Makes no sense when most of them have never even been in this country. No offense to anyone in India but I certainly wouldn't feel justified in getting paid to place a value on property in their country.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a certain level\ of honesty and respect given to your employees. Way too much favoritism goes on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to Learn

Specialist Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsThere are quite a few opportunities for growth and one can receive considerable exposure. The work is good - varied and challenging. While I got a variety of projects, I got to spend adequate time on them as well. This helped me to understand these processes/ projects better - how they work and what I could do to improve them further.

Personally, I have always found the seniors very approachable and willing to share their guidance, feedback and support on request.

Overall, it has been a great learning experience.

ConsThere are not many opportunities to get external certifications.

Decent workplace

ProsPeople go in, do their work and then go home. Repeat.

ConsLong hours, no incentives, no culture, lack of interest.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease boost morale around the office?

The Environment Is Improving; The Technical Team Is Brilliant

Engineering Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere are two sides to Altisource - the servicing side and the technology side. I can only speak to the technology side - specifically Altisource Labs.

1) Altisource (and Ocwen) is sitting on a pile of cash and they are not afraid to invest. They actively hiring, and they hire only top talent.

2) The technology is leading edge.

3) The technical team is incredibly bright and very effective.

4) The management team recognizes the need for changes to improve the culture here, and they are actively working to make those changes.

5) There is a lot of upside here - both in terms of career growth and wealth generation. Altisource Labs is being set up as a well funded incubator company. It has many of the advantages of the start up with benefits of a long-term investor backing it.

Cons1) Achieving work life balance is a challenge. It's doable, but starting out of the gate it will be pretty nuts.

2) When Altisource Labs opened an office in Boston almost a year ago, the execution of that decision and how it was communicated to the Atlanta office was handled very poorly. It was very sudden with no follow up, and it left the Atlanta-based team with the impression that they were going to be shut down. This led to a downward spiral in employee morale in Atlanta and an exodus of talent. This is the single greatest issue that has affected the perception of Altisource Labs in the Atlanta area.

3) Altisource Labs hired a bunch of people with experience that was exclusively from start ups, but Altisource Labs is not a pure start up. They are a large company with all of the standard bureaucracy when it comes to infrastructure. This - coupled with the fact that much of the IT support is based in India (making it harder to access), was very frustrating to the people with start up experience.

4) Historically, Altisource Labs has not handled interviews well - especially for technologists. The interviewee has to run a pretty serious gauntlet of tests coupled with a rigorous panel interview. After a significant investment of time and energy to jump through all of the hoops, the candidate may not get hired and is provided very little feedback.

Issue #4 has been acknowledged and is actively being addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to celebrate the small victories. Culturally, from the very top, this doesn't happen much, but I see change happening at the next level down. Perfect execution is a great goal to target but an unrealistic standard to place on the organization in terms of expectations.

When a team hits a home run or even a double, they need to get high-fives from the executives instead having those wins being taken for granted as meeting expectations.

Claims to be a startup to attract talent - but startup culture not found

Technology (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe salary is average but the bonus is excellent.

The employees in the office are excellent. Use to be the best in the city, but with the high turnover only a few of the original are there.

This company, and it's original parent company (Ocwen) profited greatly from the housing crisis, so you don't have to worry about the company running out of money.

Free lunch on Fridays. Free dinner on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

If you don't have much outside obligation (i.e. family) and would like to jump start your career by working hard and working a lot, this is not a bad place to do it. Even after the mass exodus, you'll still be working with some bright people...but bonus season is around the corner, so don't know how many of them will be staying.

ConsBureaucracy of a large financial company. For example, it takes 3 weeks to get a virtual machine spun up in their data center. You need to take frequent compliance training. Paperwork gets lost and they've been known to not pay bills on time. It's common for people who have quit, to keep receiving a pay check (maybe that's a pro?)

There is a policy that you need to punch into work everyday (like McDonalds). It's a biometric clock and you use your finger print (so worst than McDonald). If miss a day you'll get hounded, and need to justify why you missed a day. If you could not punch in because you were working from home, you need to get that approved.

Work life balance dependent on project, but mostly not well balanced. Some employees sit there and do nothing, some have a position of a regular 9-5 job....a lot are slaving away. So depending on the roll of the dice, this may be a non-issue.

Altisource has one main customer (Ocwen) that calls all the shots, so if they ask that you bend over, you better bend over.

You earn your bonus during the calendar year, but do not get paid for it until March. If you leave before the March pay out date, you don't get the bonus that you have earned already.

Altisource's legacy products are developed and maintained in India. The US offices are developing the next generation product. If you need to deal with anyone there (which you probably will) you'll be pulling your hair out while on the phone trying to get something accomplished.

Upper management for technology is mostly in Boston, even though Atlanta is the original office. What, is there no talent in Atlanta?

It's been 8 months and still, the CTO position is still unfilled.

HR is understaffed and thus leads to mistakes. Have you ever heard of someone asking for a raise, but end up having his raise given to someone else, because they share the same first name? Ironically, they both ended up quitting.

Even though the compensation at face value is good, but if you end up on one of many projects that work long hours...when you consider you are working 50-60 hours a week you are probably underpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheckout the cons section.

Not a good working culture.

Director (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFast growing company with lots of potential.

ConsCompany is too focused on growth without making sure they can handle what they already have.

Strong potential

ProsVery smart and hardworking colleagues. Tremendous business platform.

ConsBehind the curve in tech adoption but getting better

Advice to Senior ManagementBenchmark against some leading tech companies...unleash your team

Sweat Shop

(Former Employee)

ProsThis is a good company for someone without much experience who seeks exposure to a variety of tangible projects and opportunities. Also, as the company feeds off bad mortgages and exploits the poor economy, rising interest rates and continued inflation coupled with a poor economic outlook for the economy, the future of this company bodes well.

ConsThe executive management provides little direction and seems pretty scattered on their approach, promoting an 'us' verses 'them' culture between the VP and C-level execs and the rest of the company. There is no collective sharing in problems or issues but rather an uneducated demand to oversimplify complex problems that the company created over years of time. Despite a large number of excellent people in India, the senior team views all Indian employees as 100% expendable 'doers' with no desire to see them as more than a means to an end. The corporate culture focuses on the number of hours one sits in the office rather than on the actual work and quality of work being contributed.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Worked for Altisource? Contribute to the Community!