Altisource

Updated December 8, 2014
2.6

Altisource CEO William B. Shepro
William B. Shepro

Pros
  • Very flexible and good work life balance with very good interaction between teams (in 15 reviews)

• good salary,good opportunities,decent environment and cooperative employer (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Working hours are sometimes very harsh on individuals and work life balance is lop-sided (in 18 reviews)

• There is no work/life balance; no balance at all (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Hands down the worst place I've ever worked.

I worked at Altisource full-time

Pros

Many talented, smart people work there.

Cons

Terrible, stodgy management. Lack of communication between teams. Lack of direction. Too many leaders, not enough team players.

Ready Fire Aim, leads to a rocky road

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are ok, with matching on 401K and good insurance. Pleasant office. Position was intellectually challenging with broad responsibility.

Cons

Strategic management poor, resulting in layoffs; but kept top heavy management. "Broad responsibility" also means you wear multiple hats, can be a problem in a highly regulated industry. Systems never seem to be able to support existing services, much less new ones. Heavy reliance on off-shore employees comes with unrealistic expectations of them. Poor management of internal services such as vendor management, expenses, information is always behind - weak HR, ZERO career guidance and from an internal view, average technology for a company billing themselves as having "integrated technologies and decision models". Always feel as though they'd ditch us if they could break our jobs down into small enough pieces for a much lower paid offshore analyst, so I don't get the warm fuzzies I like to feel from an employer.

See cons, above. Avoid them at all costs.

Incompetent Folks Galore - Horrible place. Really Bad Management team. Don't Join..

Current Employee - Asset Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Asset Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can very well put your title as a paycheck recipient. No one cares if you don't work, but you will have to ensure that you don't ask the right or tough questions to anyone, else you will get fired.. Immediately.. I have till now maintained my job as I have stopped asking questions..

Cons

No one can speak up.. As employees are treated with utter disrespect by the management team. The CAO is a dictator living in the 18th century - He is the primary reason for all the attrition and bad culture. Absolutely incompetent.
    The Facilities team is supremely bad.. We have the worst possible infrastructure in a Tech/Financial Services company. The Facilities head is a useless guy who has no sense of what and how the infrastructure should be built. You will see him setting up the stupidest of rules.. For e.g it becomes a huge issue if you do not take your cab to office if you have signed up for it. You will in fact lose your job for doing such things.. The only thing this whole company cares about is to keep squeezing the employees and make whatever small $ possible in the name of cost saving. They are not a tech company and possibly cannot create any tech product which can give them $s hence they try to make whatever is possible from the slave shop.

In short.. Horrible horrible place.. Stay away.

They need a new facility head and also a change in guard in the CAO role as he is the one who creates and enforces that employees be treated with no respect whatsoever in the name of stupid cost saving strategies.. Totally a sad place if you are an employee.. You will be constantly demotivated.

Let go shortly after starting

Former Employee - Senior Loan Processor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Processor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Altisource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Salary was comparable to previous employers. Opportunity seemed to be very good, with the possibility of upward movement.

Cons

Worked there for only 4 months before I was laid off! Upper management did not have their ducks in a row, for the NEW line of business I was brought on to help get up & running. The Legal Dept. delayed are start and as a result of many delays, we could not get the business needed to sustain the reason for all of the staff hired (5), and as a result 4 of 5 were laid off, with no real clear explanation.

Reduce the layers of management and you will be in a better position.

Excellent place to grow

I have been working at Altisource full-time

Pros

Tremendous opportunities to grow for people who want to work 24x7

Cons

Not an ideal place for people who need a work life balance

Keep up the good work

Company doesn't value employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary is about all that comes to mind. Of course this isn't a pro when you realize you will work 1.5 times as much as you would in another job, therefore they are underpaying employees. Additionally, the annual increase is like 1% so it won't take long for competitor pay to surpass Altisource pay.

Cons

You will work 70+ hours per week plus weekends and if you don't, they will find a reason to let you go.
    The culture is a non-trusting, non-empowering form of slave labor where senior management thinks every employee is out to rob the company.
    Global company with offices in 5 countries but they keep cutting travel budgets so you can't visit your staff or properly supervise overseas operations.
    Expense reports take months to approve and no company credit cards so its your money they are holding.
    You are told to take time off, but when you do they question your commitment and interupt your PTO with urgent calls and fire drills.
    Staff is crammed into cubes in every nook and cranny because company won't spend the money on adequate space.
    Company makes all decisions based on financials, not the impact to employees or customers.
    Employees must punch in and out, showing all the overtime you aren't getting paid for.
    There is no work-life balance, just work.

If you spent more resources and effort on taking care of your staff, you would come out ahead because you wouldn't be burning employees out and having to re-hire and re-train new employees every 6 to 12 months. Also, if employees keep leaving under certain managers and executives, maybe you should be looking at replacing that manager or executive. Finally, do a 360 now and again, you might get some valuable information.

The Culture is very quirky

I have been working at Altisource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The initial pay to get you in is decent

Cons

They are a small company that grew over the last few years but is still operating as mom and pop.

Be more family oriented. Don't make promises to employees that cannot be kept.

so so

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

having good work life balance

Cons

low tech support and ambiguous tasks

Great Boss = Great Job

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Altisource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working here because my boss really give me room to grow my skills. She is very encouraging and always helpful when I don't understand something.

I also really enjoy my work environment and the people in my office.

Cons

There aren't many cons in my role.

Learn how to encourage your employees to do well.. not scare them into getting results.

Leave you feeling empty. No thought for employees.

Former Employee - Residential Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Residential Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Altisource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What is a PRO? I guess they pay on time and checks never bounced. Oh yeah, we had a office birthday food day once a month.

Cons

Everyone is fake. Give your soul away. Your days are numbered. This whole thing is smoke and mirrors, hope you have a backup plan.

Grow a set.