Altisource Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Run as fast as you can from this place.

I worked at Altisource

Pros

There are no pros to this company.

Cons

The work environment is the worst I have ever been. Management does not care and will make life miserable. You can not trust management either. They will have record profits then lay off 10% of the staff. Everything about this company is bad. Not to mention no raises ever no matter what.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and give them support.

Toxic Environment

I have been working at Altisource

Pros

Free snacks coffee and tea. illegal unfair hiring process. discriminatory hiring process and a discriminatory environment

Cons

Toxic Environment Altisource is the most toxic environment one can work in, worse than a chemical factory. In a chemical factory your body gets affected and if you stop going there your body can get cleansed. But at Altisource your mind gets poisoned to a point where your self- confidence gets shaken up. You start doubting your own ability. They shut down their products and let go off a whole bunch of people. All the senior people are secretly looking for new jobs and their subordinates don’t know that they are looking for new jobs. There were so many negative comments on Glassdoor and then the Senior management and the whole recruiting team ran a program where they ”incentivized” their employees to write positive comments and the next thing there are a whole bunch of new positive comments on Glassdoor about Altisource. They hire South Americans, Chinese and Indians but the recognition/ promotions/ bonuses are not the same as other employees in the company. Also the salary structure is very discriminatory all across. I have seen 10 years experienced Chinese person make $30k less than a “non-Chinese” employee. They work only for one customer Ocwen and if that customer does not want or like something then the whole project can get scrapped off just like they shut down products right now. Extremely uncertain situation but the people are trained to promote the company as though it is better than Google or Amazon. Altisource hires a ton of egoistic people whose attitude is “my way or the highway” and hence every time there is a senior person hired the focus of that product changes and then everyone has to adapt to this new person’s vision. Multiple times they have hired people to run the show and then have hired someone as his boss and so everything that this first person has done gets wiped clean and then they start from scratch according to the new “senior” employee. Their hiring policies are discriminatory. They use AccessPI which evaluates a candidate’s behavioral characteristics and if they are not in line with what the company is looking for a candidate does not get the job even if he can do the job or has done the job for 10 years. Another discriminatory practice is the WPT. It is a practice done to “weed out” people. WPT has nothing to do with coding and yet it is a mandatory hiring step. Majority of the people fail the test. Both these steps are harder for people who are not born and raised in America. The English is American English. Hiring managers bring their own ex-colleagues at very high compensations and even if they fail the AccessPI and WPT. While other employees who actually pass the two steps are not compensated as much.

Advice to Management

Let people do their jobs.

Fair warning! Don't say we didn't tell you!

I have been working at Altisource

Pros

Good pay. Friendly coworkers who are in the same boat.

Cons

First of all, if you do interview ask for a cup of coffee and the tate of it will tell you everything you need to know about Altisource. Worst company I have ever worked for. They expect you to know everything right away and then yell at you if you dont. Then they expect you to work 70+ hr weeks. Do yourself and fail their stupid Wonderlic test during the interview. My boss is great don't get me wrong... it's the job and company that will destroy your soul. I've been here for 2 months and will resign as soon as I can get another job.

Advice to Management

Show some respect to your employees. Hire enough people to do the job.

My new low

I have been working at Altisource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is descent. There is free coffee in the break room. The building has plenty of restrooms and parking.

Cons

Extremely difficult to work for, low office morale, convoluted processes, no work life balance, poor outlook, unresponsive management, lack of supplies/equipment for daily work. Majority of employees are offshore and poorly trained. However, local co-workers generally know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Monthly award program is a joke. Try offering some incentive.

6. Crazy, committed, driven, experimental, with roots in India and old-school finance

I have been working at Altisource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What do you get when lawyers and accountants start a company that mixes old-school finance with technology, then invests in startup technologists and acquires several other companies? Altisource. This is a good place to work if you are focused on business results and your part in them, and can deal with the company working through its apparently stuffy past plus its recent huge growth. The place _is_ pragmatic and can be a strange mix of nice touches with cheap or odd limitations. That said, it has budget, it has vision, and it is eager to have people contribute. The second half of 2014 has included new management hires, executive decisions and improvements in internal approach that bode well for the future. The best part of working here is the smart, talented group of people. Everywhere I turn I find people who really know their business. We are all working to grow this business and, while there are some healthy discussions about how to do that best, the final decisions are usually solid and the appetite for new ideas is impressive.

Cons

As always, in life, your boss will make a huge difference in your satisfaction. There are some great ones here. There are others as well. There are apparently some people here who have had very bitter experiences, based on other reviews. Some of the culture is based in ancient perspectives on workplace restrictions. For example, some areas still ask everyone to dress in full business regalia at times, even if their jobs don't otherwise merit a suit (blazer and slacks are not business attire). If that is an issue for you, don't work in those divisions. On the other hand, other areas are very flexible and people wear t-shirts and flip flops and there is a beer tap (Harpoon) in one of the offices. I've seen some of the leadership in those areas are big personalities and there are more political dramas. No place is perfect.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate.

A company with huge potential but struggling to deliver on it.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I have ever worked with. Good pay and pretty good benefits. The potential to truly disrupt an industry is there.

Cons

Unfortunately most of the really smart people are not in management. The company is too top heavy and wastes too much time and effort with political wrangling.

Advice to Management

Focus on subject matter expertise. Quit hiring so many programmers to try to make things move fast and hire SME's to make things right.

Not about the employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is free coffee in the morning

Cons

Not worker centric very hard to get process improvement very little team dynamic

Company cares only about the shareholders...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a paycheck. If you are starving take this job, if not, you would be better off finding other employment.

Cons

If you are considering working for Altisource you should read this and other posts on here before you make up your mind. First, look at the posts on here that say something nice about the company. See how they are all grouped within days of one another or are all small one line promotions? October 21 - 22? Sept 28? Aug 19 - 20? Or that big group back in April? That is because the C level management made a bunch of people log into Glassdoor and say something good about the company. Before that the CEO had a 45 percent approval rating and the company had less than 2 stars. Now look at the reviews on here that are comprehensive, lengthy and spell out specific issues with Altisource. Those are the reviews you should pay attention to. The simple truth is Altisource is solely interested in making money for its C level employees and shareholders. Do some research and look at its public filings. It is making a huge profit - $130 million a year - and has also borrowed $200 million but at the same time is cutting staff, salaries, bonuses, travel and everything else for its employees and customers. Is it losing money? No. It has a 30 percent profit margin and wants more! Why? Is it to put back into the company through staff retention or revamping its 15 year-old technology? No! It is all being used to buy back stock so that the C level employees and the shareholders get more share value, at the expense of their employees and their customers and the long term prospects of the company. To date they have purchased over $200 million of their own stock just to drive the price up and increase dividends. This only helps the shareholders and C level employees who hold over 40 percent of the stock. They are pillaging the company profits and saddling the company with debt just to add to their pockets now. Every day I see how the C level does not care at all about their employees. They recently moved all of our office into small cubicles, even senior staff, HR employees, compliance staff, attorneys, accounting and others who need privacy. But of course the CEO, CAO, and Chairman have the only offices in the entire space and they aren't even based here and they rarely visit. This just furthers the divide between the C level and the staff. Amusingly, the move was acclaimed as team building and to encourage collaboration, but in reality we all know it was just to save money to add to the shareholders return at our expense. Not only that, but there are no more secrets. We are all in cubes and can hear everyone’s phone conversations. Here is the deal. If you are really starving and need a job to feed your family, take this one. It looks decent on a resume but that is about it. You will be miserable and treated horribly in a matter of days or weeks. You will actually have to punch in every day, no matter what level of employee you are. And if you think that is so they can pay you overtime, oh no, there is no overtime pay. You are expected to work 60 hours or more each week with no overtime and if you don’t put in the hours, they will let you go. It is some weird culture that comes from the Chairman and permeates through all of his companies. I imagine they think why pay for 10 employees when you can get the same work out of 6? Does this burn out employees? Of course. Do they care? No. There is no work-life balance. On top of that you won’t be allowed to travel to supervise your teams, but you will still be held responsible for their work. You will also be forced to make all new hires in India, where you can't properly supervise your employees but they cost 20 percent of what they cost in the US so you have to hire there. Oh yeah, if you do get permission to travel they will make you pay for your own travel expenses and they will take months to reimburse you. I hear the CAO actually blocks all travel and only sometimes finally approves it just 2 weeks from the travel date when it costs double to buy the tickets. If Altisource is recruiting you and you make close to what they are offering you and relying on the equity rights plan to make a difference, forget it as it is completely worthless. They claim to be a start-up with good equity but in reality they are simply a spin-off of Ocwen and continuation of that business model. The only people in the company who are vested with equity are the CEO, CAO, the Presidents of a few divisions, and a dozen or so other people. That’s it! 15-30 people out of 8,000 employees. There is no time vesting, just multiple financial hurdles that are quite impossible to meet. By all measures this company is a great financial success, but it won't share any of that with the staff who made them a success or put it back into the business. We actually heard about a division that recently increased its revenues from $1,000,000 per month to $15,000,000 per month - a miraculous 15 fold increase - and nobody on the team vested a single dime. Most employees come here with high hopes to make a difference and an impact but it is quickly beat out of them as they realize they are not valued or respected. Then it is just a matter of time before they find new jobs. I don’t know anyone in my group that isn't looking for a new position as we speak. The average life cycle of an Altisource employee is about 12 - 18 months. I am not a negative person, but there it is. This is what Altisource did to me, turning me into a negative and cynical employee. I hope candidates do their research and choose more wisely than I did. All of the information I provided can be found in their SEC filings and investor materials or other public records.

Advice to Management

Its time for some new blood in the C suite.

Surreal workplace

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deep pockets, lots of new technologies to play with (if you're lucky enough to work in the right department), great co-workers, lots of technical talent, semi-startup environment. If you ever wondered how it would be to work for an off-shore company, but were afraid to move to India, your wait is over. Apply for a job with Altisource in Boston and the experience will be yours to have. Place is full of cultural diversity. H-1 visa applicants are strongly encouraged to apply and well represented in the Altisource workforce. Great place to brush up on foreign accents.

Cons

- Lack of leadership. Example: competing projects lead to conflicts between already alienated locations (Atlanta vs. Boston). Poor understanding of target technologies by senior technical management leads to indecisive management style. - Lack of vision. If you build it they will come. Build something... anything... throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. Business requirements? Say what? Come up with your own feature set and run with it. - Poor communication skills. Low-level management lacks basic communication skills. A lot of can be attributed to cultural differences. - Pretend-startup look and feel. Smoke screen to entice college grads from ivy league schools to come onboard. Not too many publicly traded startups with Indian roots out there to compare against, so perhaps I am wrong about this one... - Antiquated development environment. Locked down and tightly controlled workstations. Low-end Windows laptops as cost saving measure. Never mind simple math: number of builds a day TIMES number of minutes spent waiting for slow build TIMES number of developers = REAL WASTE OF MONEY - Poor facilities. Lack of permanent office space. Constantly on the move from one location to another. - Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Advice to Management

Hire from within your personal circle of friends to cultivate already successful company culture. Clamp down more on development environment to encourage technological innovation. Hire at least one US citizen for every H-1 visa employee to introduce more cultural diversity.

Stifling environment.

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for just a paycheck, then this is a perfect place to be.

Cons

Employees are constantly reminded to not talk, how to dress, and that you can be recognized only if you make time to help other departments no matter how hard you work in your own department.

Advice to Management

EVERYONE NEEDS TRAINING...even managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed