Altium Limited

1 Rating

Challenging and great teamwork

Current Contractor - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good people and great teamwork in helping each other succeed. Sense of camaraderie and management was fairly supportive and provided necessary guidance to help you succeed. First job I had where employer provided breakfast and lunch for employees.

Cons

Internal policies not well established and direction for personal and career growth not defined. Human Resources was lacking in resources and professionalism .

Regional Account Manager

Former Employee - Regional Sales in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Altium Limited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Management and growth minded

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say about my 5 years experience with the company. I left because I had no further growth in my career path but that's because no one ever left.

Continue doing your great job

Greatest PCB design and embedded tools, well-managed at the top but need better inbetween.

Current Employee - Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Corporate focus on the customer and excellence of the product
    -Good benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, daily lunch catered onsite)
    -The people generally are fun to work with
    -Marketing management team is great
    -The company (at least until now) has valued employees who go the extra mile

Cons

-There's always more to do than there is time. We are always stretched thin on staff.
    -Publicly traded on ASX means sometimes decisions might get too market-focused.
    -Sales management often makes short sighted decisions to close deals
    -US regional HR has been very unstable in the past few years.
    -Previously there was a lack of clear communication between regional sales/support and R&D and corporate headquarters.
    - New re-seller network is uncontrollable.
    - Re-sellers have taken to employing AEs who were previously let go from Altium - it's working out okay, but it is risky.

- Communicate more with front-line staff.
    - Provide additional incentives (stock, compensation, career training, and budget responsibility) to front-line managers.
    - Make re-seller network comply with certification program to ensure FAE / SE quality.
    - Ensure R&D has clear lead and acknowledges feedback from marketing and support teams.

Sales

I worked at Altium Limited full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Catered Lunch. Carlsbad is nice. There a a few hard working career minded people outside of Sr. managers that are currently there or stuck there.

Cons

Would give it zero stars if I could. Horrible ethics from the top down. Constantly messing with revenue recognition. Very poor morale and very immature work environment. Absolute worst company I have ever worked for.

Doesn't matter. It's cronyism at its best. Management doesn't listen to sound advice outside the "network" of yes-men/women and robots. Just try to figure out what book the CEO is currently reading.

A nice ride for diligent people

Current Employee - Tech Support in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, good food for breakfast and lunch, excellent and interesting product(s), and a dynamic industry make this a great company to work for.

Cons

There is a general distrust of HR, and sometimes things that should be done are not done and no obvious reasoning is given so it seems to be a political management issue. There is no central strong management in this office and the main directors live and work on the east coast, yet should be located in San Diego with the rest of the team they manage. Salaries are all over the place and generally lower than related industry positions. HR tends to grind workers to get the minimum salary possible.

Put a senior manager (VP) in place who's been in the company for more than 8 years. Provide more upward career and financial growth for existing employees to keep them motivated.

Misdirection from management, poor business decisions, and mistrust of HR run rampant.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited (more than a year)

Pros

Cool products. EDA Software with support for FPGA. Unified product allows for one software platform running many Electronic Design applications. Free lunch. Good co-workers.

Cons

Too much politics. Continual changes in direction make it difficult to accomplish job satisfaction. Steep learning curve unless you have worked with EDA tools in the past.

Fun work environment. Free lunch! But very lousy commission structure...

Former Employee - Account Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Altium Limited

Pros

I worked with some pretty cool people who were very encouraging when it came to closing deals. They were very helpful in learning the product and good ways of selling it. When lunch time came around, you could hear a bell ring and everyone would sort of bum-rush the kitchen for free lunch; usually pretty good food though often somewhat unhealthy. The office was located far enough away from places to eat to where this was a bit obligatory.

Cons

Commission. This is a sales job and you're not here to make $15-16/hr and be content staring at purchase orders for 10s of thousands of dollars expecting a commission of... 0.5% Free lunch is great and all but not to the tune of sacrificing tons of commission potential. To be fair, I worked here back in 2010 so hopefully things have changes a bit in this area.

Provide better financial incentives for your sales people to work hard and bring in more revenue.

Unhappy employees and a complete LACK of management talent

Current Employee - Sales in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Altium Limited

Pros

the free food and my coworkers

Cons

I agree with everything the other poster has said. The USA location of Altium has a complete lack of management talent. A salesperson is not given any of the tools they need to achieve. Most employees are very unhappy and the USA location has to bring in consultants just to figure out how to "improve their culture". Simply put, this place is a mess, you don't want to work here in a sales capacity. Look elsewhere.

- Lead by example (don't be complete hypocrites)
    - Have some respect for your employees. Treat them as people whom have families with responsibilities outside the workplace
    - Learn how to actually budget your accounts in order to make your goals for your sales reps attainable
    - Give concrete specific assistance on how to improve in the job rather than vague political terms

it's ok

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Altium Limited

Pros

it is a nice place

Cons

bad salary to new man

more aggressive