Altria

Altria Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Altria Chairman & CEO Martin J. Barrington

Martin J. Barrington

Pros
  • This position has great work-life balance and allows flexability(in 19 reviews)

• Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to maintain(in 24 reviews)

• There is no work life balance at this company(in 9 reviews)

Solid Experience

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and good people

ConsJob just wasn't for me

Excellent Company, Good pay, Great people

Senior IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsSince they take such good care of the employees, it is hard to find much wrong with Altria.

ConsThe only problem with working for such a large corporation, it is a huge bureaucracy. Getting things done or changed quickly is not so easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do to take care of your people

Not progressive IT management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocal employer in Richmond area

ConsVery narrow minded and not open to progressive suggestions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic company to work for!

Unit Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat work life balance and great people

ConsGreat company, no big complaints

Great company, great benefits, mediocre job

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, company car, great people, great company culture

ConsThe job can be overwhelming at a times, with the million initiatives and no time to get it done, yet at the same time the job can get monotonous because it's just executing a bunch of initiatives sent from headquarters. They don't understand the city environment and come up with plans for things that don't apply all over.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to TSMs and give us more time to do our own thing. We can execute our own game plan, our own plans for our territory.

My experience at Altria is nothing but positive. I worked with smart and talented people from day 1

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThis position has great work-life balance and allows flexability. This position also allows you to stand out for your work and be innovative

ConsTraining differs from one manager to the next and some people are hurt by this. Make sure to reach out to others in order to kickstart yourself and stay out of the shadows

Top-Notch (DC Office)

ProsHigh quality of work. Exceptional peers. Widely respected for their abilities (if not reviled for their products.)

ConsWork is siloed. Often unreasonable expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more junior level staff to alleviate strains on Managers.

Bureaucracy, Hypocrisy, Great Pay, and Contrived Reviews

Analyst (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

Pros- Salary is excellent because there is a pay premium for having to work in this reviled industry. Family, friends, and strangers will never let you forget the company you work for (dancing with the devil), however you earn BIG BUCKS to ignore their criticisms.
    - Free products if you smoke or chew or spit
    - Lots and lots of training on nontechnical topics

Cons- Smoke-filled work environment. Turning the other way when employees complain.
    - Inconsistencies in company policies, a good old boys culture that is not approving of women, African Americans and older employees.
    - The company is instructing current employees to write positive reviews on this website.
    - There have been several rounds of layoffs in the past 7 years.
    - LOTS of politics in the headquarters office.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce the company "values" and policies CONSISTENTLY throughout the organization. There are very dubious characters in leadership positions. Since feedback is supposedly a gift, stop putting employees up to writing false reviews. Get to know your employees. They are people. Respect everyone.

One of the best career options out there

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSalary and Bonus, people with great values, perks, employee centered focus. No better place to grow and develop you abilities as management interacts in daily development for advancement. Middle manager's have direct access to VP's consistently. Relocation benefits are the best around (who else promises your purchase price on a home when you move?)

ConsTravel and because of it's large size there is some bureaucracy, but isn't that true every where?

Great company culture

ProsFun atmosphere, people are great

ConsTobacco Industry, receive a lot of negative feedback

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!