Altria

Altria Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Altria Chairman & CEO Martin J. Barrington

Martin J. Barrington

Pros
  • This position has great work-life balance and allows flexability(in 19 reviews)

• Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to maintain(in 24 reviews)

• There is no work life balance at this company(in 9 reviews)

University Recruiters Interview Process

Territorial Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey have an amazing mentor-ship program where they really invest in building you up as a person.

ConsIf you are very sensitive about working for the alcohol and tobacco company then do not work here

Brand management internship. Very comprehensive internship that introduced me to the realm of marketing.

Brand Management (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsPaid internship, great experience, opened my eyes to the "real" world of marketing, advertising, and strategy outside of a college classroom. Gain insight into a heavily regulated industry and learn how the system works from legal to creative.

ConsVery corporate feeling and bureaucratic. You need to be able to be passionate about tobacco-related products, which can be difficult since it is very controversial.

Overall, great company but limited on career opportunities unless you get in with the right people. If your manager

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat benefits, and team friendly environment

ConsLimited opportunity for upper mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your talent pool, and maximize your resources

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Territory Sales Manager Internship

Intern (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsLearning how to implement strategy helps a lot in an interview.

ConsYou work for a cancer stick company. Intern's opinions are not valued highly

Advice to Senior ManagementHave different internships for the same company (finance, investment, trading, etc.)

Great learning experience

Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsExcellent salary and very good benefits,

ConsNo life balance. Work is overwhelming and just when you think that you've completed a task, upper management hands you a dozen new one's.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management wants to make territory managers force retailers to order in abundance. This should not be the case to push more tobacco. Retailers such as 7-11 and other chains no what needs to be order through the retailer's own ordering system, Altria and it's subsidiary's want to over sell it's products and make retailers keep inventory that they do not need. This is WRONG! Take for example what's happened at CVS. CVS will no longer sell tobacco as of October 2014. Hopefully, one day, we will be a tobacco free society

TSM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company, benefits, company car

ConsRepetitive, political, not very challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell new recruits that they will be promoted within a year

Overall good but a lot of changes

Senior Auditor (Current Employee) Rye Brook, NY

ProsSmart management, spun off business that are worth double what the original company was 10 years ago. Decent culture. Fairly big organization so you have the ability to move around and get promoted. They encourage education. Not a hyper stressful fortune 500. They have decent benefits.

ConsCigarettes are on their way out, which is good for the health of the nation but bad for business. There is little growth left in Altria as it is now, basically a domestic tobacco company. That is why when the spun off PM international the Altria CEO went there. You could get stuck in the same position for a while, but that depends where you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBranch out from tobacco, use your cash to move into other businesses.

Long Hours- No work life balance!

ProsGreat benefits, Company Car, Some Freedom

ConsLong Hours. lots of emails.

Great company to work for.

Sales (Current Employee) Vineland, NJ

ProsYou can really build your career at Altria, pending you are relocatable.

ConsIf you are not able to relocate, you will be stuck in your position for years and years.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your promotion process.

Excellent work-life balance.

ProsSkill-specific sales training, excellent benefits package.

ConsLocation mobility largely dictates your ability to be promoted.

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!