Altria Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.7

Altria Chairman & CEO Martin J. Barrington
Martin J. Barrington

Pros
  • This position has great work-life balance and allows flexability (in 19 reviews)

• Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to maintain (in 24 reviews)

• There is no work life balance at this company (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid internship, was given a lot of responsibility for an intern.

I worked at Altria

Pros

High pay, close contact with upper management. Lots of autonomy within the job. I can see someone loving this job if they are into the lifestyle.

Cons

Selling cigarettes to people that can't afford to be smoking them. You spend all your time in convenience stores. I was so ready to not see another 7-eleven for the rest of my life.

Great company to work for, with many opportunities to grow as a professional.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that work at Altria are some of the best that I have worked for, helping me grow professionally. The work/life balance is very easy to manage once I understood all of the aspects of the job.

Cons

I represent four operating companies out at retail, making it difficult sometimes to prioritize what is going to have the biggest impact. Also, the company is not too keen on taking risks, which it typically doesn't need to given it's number one position in the industry.

Great company with great financial and personal rewards

Current Employee - Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay for a reasonable workload

Cons

Politics that drive decisions and promotions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Altria is a GREAT place to work

Current Employee - Unit Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay and benefits are really good. They focus on your development and ensure you have the tips to succeed. Mission and values driven

Cons

You usually need to relocate to get promoted. There can be red tape to getting things done and politics can be pervasive in some parts of the country

Add flexibility to the promotion track

Not what I expected, not an entirely positive experience.

Current Employee - PRINCIPAL ANALYST TECHNOLOGY  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - PRINCIPAL ANALYST TECHNOLOGY in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Executive management is very engaging and accessible. Depending on what you want out of your career there is a lot of opportunity.

Cons

Director and middle management filters too much from executive leaders. What I consider innovation is not on par with what management believes. Way too much traditional mind set, "this is the way we've always done it and it's successful", when in reality the financial burn is staggering. Analysts and Architects are asked to be firefighters more than they are strategists. Very difficult to bring a fresh perspectives from the outside and translate those into solutions unless conversations can be had with other executive leaders from other companies that have "been here done that, and have been successful".

TRUST in those you have hired, listen to the people you manage, we all want to be successful. You can't have one methodology to manage all people, managers need to be diverse in order to manage a diverse staff.

Easy Money

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Medford, OR

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have some really nice benefits, such as company car and gas paid for, 401k, Tuition paid for in full for your advanced degrees, and ability to manage your work time the way you want too.

Cons

Promotion process is becoming more politically, if you don't have the right manager above you it can make it difficult to advance. The position is really a Merchandiser. You do little to no real sales, as in convincing someone they need your products or using features and benefits to sell your products. You do work a lot on what would be considered to be normally your personal time.

Find a way to have a better work/life balance. Employees are starting to not feel like an indispensable asset but rather a tool to be used and replaced.

Awesome,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leadership, salary, training, network, opportunities

Cons

Product, hours, and the lack of simplification

TSM

Current Employee - TSM  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - TSM in Boston, MA

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Benefits are very good, pay, vacation and medical. Company car is nice. Training is good and available to those who want it.

Cons

Usually Have to move to get promoted. It can be a tough industry to work in at times as tobacco isn't accepted social. Communication isn't always good.

Be more realistic on promotions, not everyone wants to move. We have lost good employees because of this.

good, but could be better

Current Employee - Unit Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people, they care. good benefits and pay. reliable job and predictable work. good balance. good training and time to develop skills

Cons

can be overly slow and beuracratic, limited ability to over achieve. cumbersome administration. burdened by legal nad compliance. can stifle creaticity at times

open it up more for high performers to do it their way and build their own career track

Really can't beat the experience

I have been working at Altria

Pros

People are amazing, company treats employees like gold. Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits.

Cons

Lots of hard work, but worth it. Can be overwhelming at times. Hard to explain to others why I love the company since it is a tobacco manufacturer

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!