Altria Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
3.7

Altria Chairman & CEO Martin J. Barrington
Martin J. Barrington

Pros
  • The work life balance cannot be better than what you will have at this company (in 21 reviews)

• Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to maintain (in 25 reviews)

• As a general rule there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever, even as management constantly reminds you that there is (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Learned a ton, company really invests in their employees, good company culture

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Altria as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great compensation and company car. Flexible schedule and the management and training is great. Company allows you to quickly move up in the company.

Cons

Very high expectations which requires you to do a lot of work at home. If you want to move up in the company, you have to be wiling to move.

Great summer internship, didn't quite fit

Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    As an intern you are exposed to important relevant work
    Travel at least once over the summer as an intern
    Interns have lots of fun stuff planned for them.
    Lots of emphasis placed on career development

Cons

Working in the tobacco industry
    Depending on your project, there is only so much freedom you have in terms of creativity.
    Tough to get constructive feedback

Choose intern managers with some care, managers can be the reason someone shines or flops.

Well run company

Current Employee - Unit Manager
    Current Employee - Unit Manager

I have been working at Altria full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable
    Opportunity for growth if you are willing to move

Cons

Mature and declining industry
    Compensation not differentiated enough between top performers and bottom/ average

Territory sales manger

I have been working at Altria full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay. Amazing benefits. Close contact with upper management. Lots of autonomy.

Cons

Constantly changing environment makes difficult for planning, working in all weather conditions suck, constantly give more work to do and no work is every taken away

Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the people, perks, Profit Sharing, salary is in the 75 percentile but they will start you low if coming in at an entry level position

Cons

Limited upward mobility unless you are an intern to full-time hire, old school management, too many cliques in HR which leads to a lot of group thinking, takes forever to get anything approved, very legalistic, play the game or be prepared to stay in your position forever....

Start looking at the people who actually do the work. Management is clueless as to what does on at HQ and needs to take a look at who is directing the people who are doing to work and how qualified they are to do the job and how they are getting the work done.

Internship

Former Employee - Procurement Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Procurement Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company is very supportive of your growth and giving you exposure to multiple functions. They really invest in their employees and take care of them. The culture is starting to evolve to be more collaborative, innovative, and flexible. They let you take control of your own project and take initiative. They took the interns on several trips to farms, warehouses, refineries, manufacturing center, final goods DC to understand the business and supply chain.

Cons

The procurement department has a huge age gap. They also don't really take the intern's time very seriously, and people move or cancel your meeting requests all the time. The work is very project based, rather than actual job roles, and some projects are much more important than others; it's luck of the draw who gets a relevant project. They also get upset if you speak to certain people in the organization without clearing it with all of your supervisors first. Directors are too busy to actually get to know any of the interns beyond few impressions. The company culture is still very hierarchal, bureaucratic and rigid; they are slowly evolving. The procurement department environment is almost totally silent and stale, purely business. A lot of people smoke or have a dip in during meetings and around the campus; non-smokers must accept second hand smoke.

Please have projects prepared prior to interns arriving. My project was just something my manager was currently working on at the exact same time, and I had the impression that the department was not prepared to give me my own project. I received my project after half way through the internship.

Looking to Make Very Good Money for Very Little Work?

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Altria full-time (more than an year)

Pros

$60,000 plus $10,000 in profit sharing and another $7,500 in bonuses. A free car with personal gas nearly paid in full by the company. You manage your own schedule and work with your boss only 1X/month. Once you get a hold of how to do your job, you can literally finish work within 3 hours most day. This is a great job for someone looking to make good money with little effort. The work life balance cannot be better than what you will have at this company.

Cons

Do not take a job with this company unless you are happy with your location. It is nearly impossible to get promoted in this company. The people who stick around are those who are satisfied making good money and working very little. Also, this job requires going to gas stations all day. Expect to wear nasty clothes because retail stores are often dirty.

Stop placing advancement candidates in small towns. They eventually end up leaving.

Excellent Pay with Outstanding Benefits (if you are willing to give up your personal and/or family life)

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation and outstanding benefits with top notch facilities. The perks are simply out of this world from an in-house fully staff gym, to outstanding cafeterias and even am in-house doctor (that is not a typo) which you can use as your Primary Care Physician. The retirement and profit sharing plan too are simply out of this world and you would be hard pressed to find a company that still provides this level of rich benefits and compensation. Their Human Resources group is very competent and enjoys the support of "an army of lawyers". One can summarize how their HR group works as "constantly striving to do the right thing" while still remaining compliant with State and Federal laws.

You will achieve a level of proficiency on what you do that will serve you well once/if you leave the company. Altria provides its employees with the best resources available. I almost forgot; their severance in the event you are let go due to reduction in headcounts (see cons bellow).

Cons

The excellent compensation and benefits will probably be the two, if not the only, main reasons you will remain with the company. As a general rule there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever, even as management constantly reminds you that there is. With the exception of "Sales" and "Research and Development" departments it is unlikely you will ever reach the executive row unless you are a lawyer.

Most departments are obsessed with perfection which will be achieved at all costs and by all means necessary. Most employees have long tenures (25 to 30 years of employment is not at all uncommon) and not surprisingly many resist any type of change. Finding fault or "something wrong" in all of your work is somewhat of a sport practice by many of these tenured employees.

If you fall out of grace with management, even if it is completely unfair or uncalled for, they are experts at creating the documentation necessary to get you walk you out of the company. Restructuring occurs almost every year due to the nature of its declining business.

Continue to provide the outstanding resources employees receive in order to complete their jobs, whatever it may be. The "culture of compliance" was one of things I was most proud of when I worked there.

Work-Life balance, or lack there of, will continue to be a challenge for Altria. Every time there is a reduction in headcount the work that those individuals were doing fold over to those left behind and thus the workload continues to increase on a regular basis.

Pay close attention to what former employees have to say about why they left the company. I left due to "restructuring" which always present itself as a wonderful opportunity for managers to employees they may perceive as not meeting their standards. If after all these employees leave the company you are still essentially having the same problems, then perhaps the employees weren't the problem in the first place.

I was a summer intern at US Smokeless Tobacco and it was a great experience!

Former Employee - Logistics Summer Intern in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Logistics Summer Intern in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at Altria as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They really value their interns. I was given real projects and real responsibilities. The people are all very nice and helpful.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Solid internship, was given a lot of responsibility for an intern.

I worked at Altria

Pros

High pay, close contact with upper management. Lots of autonomy within the job. I can see someone loving this job if they are into the lifestyle.

Cons

Selling cigarettes to people that can't afford to be smoking them. You spend all your time in convenience stores. I was so ready to not see another 7-eleven for the rest of my life.

Altria Photos