Altria

Updated December 2, 2014
3.8

Altria Chairman & CEO Martin J. Barrington
Martin J. Barrington

Pros
  • The work life balance cannot be better than what you will have at this company (in 24 reviews)

• Strong Corporate Social Responsibility, great pay, great benefits (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to maintain (in 25 reviews)

• As a general rule there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever, even as management constantly reminds you that there is (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked as a Brand Management Intern in the Summer of 2014

Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Good benefits (treat their employees well)
    - Open dialogue with superiors to understand what you are doing well and poorly
    - Location: Cost of living is dirt cheap

Cons

- Industry is in decline
    - Some employees are arrogant
    - Location: Isn't that prime for young professionals

Field Sales Interview

I have been working at Altria

Pros

Overall, Altria seems like a great company to work for. It seems very accommodating and it's work environment and culture also seem to really care about a values and both its customers and employees.

Cons

If you were to work for Altria, one con might be that you might face negativity from others about the fact that you are working for a tobacco company.

Learned a ton, company really invests in their employees, good company culture

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Altria as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great compensation and company car. Flexible schedule and the management and training is great. Company allows you to quickly move up in the company.

Cons

Very high expectations which requires you to do a lot of work at home. If you want to move up in the company, you have to be wiling to move.

Well run company

Current Employee - Unit Manager
    Current Employee - Unit Manager

I have been working at Altria full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable
    Opportunity for growth if you are willing to move

Cons

Mature and declining industry
    Compensation not differentiated enough between top performers and bottom/ average

Territory sales manger

I have been working at Altria full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay. Amazing benefits. Close contact with upper management. Lots of autonomy.

Cons

Constantly changing environment makes difficult for planning, working in all weather conditions suck, constantly give more work to do and no work is every taken away

Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the people, perks, Profit Sharing, salary is in the 75 percentile but they will start you low if coming in at an entry level position

Cons

Limited upward mobility unless you are an intern to full-time hire, old school management, too many cliques in HR which leads to a lot of group thinking, takes forever to get anything approved, very legalistic, play the game or be prepared to stay in your position forever....

Start looking at the people who actually do the work. Management is clueless as to what does on at HQ and needs to take a look at who is directing the people who are doing to work and how qualified they are to do the job and how they are getting the work done.

Internship

Former Employee - Procurement Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Procurement Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company is very supportive of your growth and giving you exposure to multiple functions. They really invest in their employees and take care of them. The culture is starting to evolve to be more collaborative, innovative, and flexible. They let you take control of your own project and take initiative. They took the interns on several trips to farms, warehouses, refineries, manufacturing center, final goods DC to understand the business and supply chain.

Cons

The procurement department has a huge age gap. They also don't really take the intern's time very seriously, and people move or cancel your meeting requests all the time. The work is very project based, rather than actual job roles, and some projects are much more important than others; it's luck of the draw who gets a relevant project. They also get upset if you speak to certain people in the organization without clearing it with all of your supervisors first. Directors are too busy to actually get to know any of the interns beyond few impressions. The company culture is still very hierarchal, bureaucratic and rigid; they are slowly evolving. The procurement department environment is almost totally silent and stale, purely business. A lot of people smoke or have a dip in during meetings and around the campus; non-smokers must accept second hand smoke.

Please have projects prepared prior to interns arriving. My project was just something my manager was currently working on at the exact same time, and I had the impression that the department was not prepared to give me my own project. I received my project after half way through the internship.

I was a summer intern at US Smokeless Tobacco and it was a great experience!

Former Employee - Logistics Summer Intern in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Logistics Summer Intern in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at Altria as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They really value their interns. I was given real projects and real responsibilities. The people are all very nice and helpful.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Solid internship, was given a lot of responsibility for an intern.

I worked at Altria

Pros

High pay, close contact with upper management. Lots of autonomy within the job. I can see someone loving this job if they are into the lifestyle.

Cons

Selling cigarettes to people that can't afford to be smoking them. You spend all your time in convenience stores. I was so ready to not see another 7-eleven for the rest of my life.

Great company to work for, with many opportunities to grow as a professional.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Altria full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that work at Altria are some of the best that I have worked for, helping me grow professionally. The work/life balance is very easy to manage once I understood all of the aspects of the job.

Cons

I represent four operating companies out at retail, making it difficult sometimes to prioritize what is going to have the biggest impact. Also, the company is not too keen on taking risks, which it typically doesn't need to given it's number one position in the industry.

Altria Photos