Alutiiq Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
2.6

CEO

Lots of opps originally, but not so much now

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Alutiiq full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. central location in Charleston. There's some indication that senior management wishes to have more consistent communication with the employees, but they have a tough row to hoe.

Cons

Inefficient program/project management. Personnel are not engaged at a level higher than the tasks they are individually performing. Overall lack of regular, consistent information delivery and individual recognition of employee contribution, when warranted.

Adverse to much needed procedural change. Charleston office mgmt and regional management are disconnected with the workforce. Ops managers still acting as project/program managers are over tasked by their projects/programs, leaving serious operational issues unaddressed. If senior management is seeking new opportunities, it's not visible to the workforce, leaving employees with a feeling that the business is dwindling.

It's a job.

I have been working at Alutiiq full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing of working in my location is that I can take time off anytime I need to.

Cons

Absolutely no upwards mobility. Unless you work in Anchorage or Huntsville. No educational benefits or real training available to move up.

Give employees a light at the end of the tunnel, if they have the ability to move up you will see employees work harder.

North Charleston Office Lacks direction and Corporate support.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Alutiiq full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good if you can keep steady work. Do not require a great deal of experience or education, Reasonable environment for independent hands on learners.

Cons

You will get no support out side of the person next to you. If you work remote you are probably on your own. No mobility out of this office and in constant threat of closing office at the end of every contract. The 10 people that work steady contracts are the only stable jobs.

Invest in this office or close it down.

Very confused situation to work with.

Current Employee - HVAC Tech in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - HVAC Tech in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Alutiiq as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

When the contract is run right it is a great job to work at. This is traveling all over the world working on Embassies. However it must be a well organized contract to work this way and this one is not.

Cons

Trying to figure what direction to go. Seems no one can give direct guidance

Get together and lay out a system

Interesting contracts, unethical labor/billing practices.

Current Employee - Program Analyst IV in Agana Heights, GU
    Current Employee - Program Analyst IV in Agana Heights, GU

I have been working at Alutiiq full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked on a few really interesting jobs as contracted through the company, and I was well paid for my work.

Cons

Really poor management, to the point that management mistakes get blamed on the contractors. Their practices for having employees record hours are extremely suspect and borderline unethical, either resulting in contractors being forced to work hours they're not paid for (to avoid being fired) or billing the client for more hours than we actually worked (which we couldn't mention to the client, again for fear of being fired by the company).

Change your labor and billing processes, and do a better job of selecting, training, and monitoring your management staff.

Do not support their employees.

Current Employee - Help Desk in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Help Desk in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Alutiiq full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros with this company.

Cons

No support of employees, its about the bottom dollar only, and company is more important than staff.

Get rid of the Buddy system.

Money is more important than personnel.

Current Employee - Server Administrator in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Server Administrator in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Cons

The bottom line is the most important item to this company. They are in no way concerned about their people or what they put them through on contract negotiations. I have been moved 3 times in the past 5 months because they have unstable contracts. There are no job opportunities.

Listen to your employees.

Good pay and decent benefits, however no room for growth.

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Patuxent River, MD
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at Alutiiq full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great- standard 40 hr work week supporting government customers. The benefits are decent, considering employees get fringe benefits which pay for insurance (i.e. benefit pay does not come out of check).

Cons

A happy employee is one who feels their company has their back-- however Alutiiq does not provide this feeling. There are no opportunities to further education, and employees must request a cost of living adjustment each year which is not guarenteed. Employees are located in government offices and essentially forgotten. Definitely not a good feeling for someone who has conveyed they with to grow within the company.

Offer education benefits. If the company does not feel it can offer growth to their employees, at least provide the employee the opportunity to grow themselves.

Great people! Great Company!

Former Employee - Supply Specialist in Aiea, HI
    Former Employee - Supply Specialist in Aiea, HI

I worked at Alutiiq full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing for me was that it was day shift work. The company treated everyone with respect and tried to accommodate everyone's needs. I was in Hawaii and the staff there were awesome!

Cons

The worst thing for me was that this was contract positions. I would have continued this position until retirement. But even after position ended, I was ready for another but there were none.

I was an employee back in 2008 in Hawaii and loved working there but when the contract was over so was my employment. I am a Navy Veteran, had a lot of experience in Logistics as well as Clerical and Manufacturing and they could never seem to find me more work. I always felt it was because I wasn't from Hawaii, ( even though I was considered local after living there for 9 years ) all the others I worked with were born or raised there. The local people take care of their own, their friends and family got the open positions. I think that management should base filling open positions on skills and experience not who they know.

Alutiiq

I worked at Alutiiq

Pros

Products and technologies are interesting (Charleston S.C.)

Cons

Poor communication from management. Regular threats of "we will have to send you home if this or that contract is lost". Worforce lives in fear of job loss and knows its happened often b/4. Inter office gossip and backbiting is consistent.

Figure out how to land some decent contracts, communicate w/ the workforce, and get rid of the office trouble makers.