Alvarez & Marsal Reviews

Reset
3.6
Alvarez & Marsal Co-Founders & Co-CEOs Tony Alvarez II & Bryan P. Marsal
Tony Alvarez II & Bryan P. Marsal

Pros
  • Expertise, work-life balance, cases are pretty interesting (in 6 reviews)

• Great compensation and smart people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a challenge at times (in 7 reviews)

• long hours, tight deadlines, demanding environment (in 6 reviews)

Depends who you work for

Former Contractor - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free soft drinks and snacks.

Cons

- Contract-to-perm is really just contract: I was told during interviews my position was new, only to find out I was replacing the previous contract person. At first I was given almost nothing to do for two months despite repeated requests to help or for projects. I wanted to tear my hair out, the days were so slow. Two months in, HR tried to recruit me via my personal email FOR THE SAME POSITION I WAS CURRENTLY IN. Whoops. Two days later I was told my contract would not be renewed, with no explanation for why. Then (without my having to ask) I was given plenty to do, and told I was doing a great job, until the end of my contract. - Although I faithfully and honestly recorded my hours the entire time I worked there, when I received my final check, it was inexplicably six hours shy of the actual time I worked the last half-week. If anybody felt I was being in any way dishonest with my timesheet, I wish we could have had a conversation about it before they changed my timesheet, because I worked every one of those hours. - They pay monthly, not bi-weekly, which is a real drag.

Advice to Management

Your "no #%@!" policy is a good one, now make it happen. I had the impression my colleagues were as miserable as I was there.

Miserable

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects Good exposure Lots of travel

Cons

Family fiefdom where Tony the Third rules and everyone obeys Poor corporate governance Poor ethics

3. ok not great

Current Employee - Corporate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate in New York, NY

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues and employee perks.

Cons

unreasonable hours, below average salaries for corporate staff, ridiculous work load, and no upward mobility

Advice to Management

Allow flexible schedules and telecommuting, you preach about work life balance but don’t provide any option other than vacation time .

Nepotism reigns

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good reputation in restructuring space - niche player in PRivate Equity and public sector

Cons

Old boys network if there ever was one. If you are either ex- Andersen or a family member with "Alvarez " or "Marsal" last name you will be fine.

Advice to Management

If you really want to grow then leverage the Private Equity foothold to develop some capabilities that can apply to Corporate America. hire some legitimate players from consulting firms that were not named Andersen and get them into leadership positions

Great Experience and $$, Bad Attitude and Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Compensation Smart co-workers and bosses Projects can be interesting Can learn a lot, be exposed to a lot Project teams vary, so you get to work with different people and styles Travel, if you like it

Cons

Hours can be unreasonable for long periods of time (depending on project & team) Work can be tedious and boring (depending on project & team) Travel, it gets old being away from home more days than not Management has an attitude, important to be part of the good old boys club As time goes on, there is more and more deceit - with the client, with the clients advisors and amongst ourselves, etc - it's tough to keep the story straight when working with people, and it makes for an uncomfortable environment Cut-throat atmosphere amongst peers, a culture where putting others down can help you get promoted The culture and values they say they believe in (family first, not pumping hours...) are not actually there in practice

7. Work in consulting, not in corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a consultant, you're probably working with bright, talented people who have come from all over to work with other bright, talented people.

Cons

The loyal and lazy are treated with impunity. The loyal and hard-working aren't rewarded as they should be. Getting buy-in for corporate projects can be a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Let the visionaries be visionary. Don't settle for mediocrity.

8. Arthur Andersen recreated?

Former Employee - Partner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Partner in New York, NY

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

well known player in restructuring and PE

Cons

insider and family dominated more than you would expect

Advice to Management

bring in more outsiders

Inconsistent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some smart people, and some interesting engagements. Lots of opportunity to work with former industry operators, some of whom are very good. Good work/life balance. Nice people for the most part.

Cons

Many senior resources are of very poor quality, lacking basic consulting skills. This can make projects very frustrating for those with a consulting background. I would advise undergrads and recent MBAs to go elsewhere, as you can't be guaranteed to learn a consulting skillset at A&M. There is a very heavy sales culture, which leads to overselling and often to underdelivery. There's a lot of talk about putting clients first, but management cares exclusively about the top line. . The senior-most leadership at A&M is extremely conservative. It is an old-boys club, and this seems to make meaningful career advancement difficult to impossible.

Advice to Management

Focus on client value, not sales. Cash-oriented compensation model based on restructuring legacy is illogical. Improve overall quality at SD/MD level, it can't just be about their rolodex. Revise career path model.

Great firm, but not easy to build a career

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time

Pros

Great brand in restructuring/turnaround/performance improvement

Cons

Poor resource management; many silos

11. Great business culture; suffering corporate culture...

Former Employee - Support Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very interesting and diverse people

Cons

Politics involved with the corporate department thus providing a higher than usual turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Start actively paying attention to the wants and complaints of your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed