Alvarez & Marsal Reviews

119 reviews filtered by
3.9
Alvarez & Marsal Co-Founders & Co-CEOs Tony Alvarez II & Bryan P. Marsal
Tony Alvarez II & Bryan P. Marsal

Pros
  • Expertise, work-life balance, cases are pretty interesting (in 6 reviews)

• Great compensation and smart people (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not great when you're on an an engagement (in 7 reviews)

• 100% travel and very long hours (defined clearly going in) - just takes a toll on family life (in 6 reviews)

1. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal full-time

Pros

Our culture is second to none. The people we work with make the job so much better day to day. It also provides opportunities for young employees to get exposure to top executives.

Cons

Dealing with clients is tough. It is common for them to throw the consultants under the bus. It is also a lot of pressure to live up to the demands that our high fees put on our work.

Advice to Management

Many things at A&M are great, but the partners aren't incentivized to make the "pie" bigger, just make sure their slice of the pie is big enough. As a result we sometimes get partners leading jobs that another partner is better suited for. This makes it harder on the non-partner employees.

2. Standout Employer

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant
    Former Contractor - Senior Consultant

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal as a contractor

Pros

One of the best companies I worked for. Great support system, ability to work independently without bureaucratic processes. Nimble practices, highly professional, ethical, collaborative with some outstanding experts. I was entirely impressed on how employees were supported. Outstanding focus on delivering the best for clients.

Cons

hard to say really - have to love the work as consulting involves travel and long hours.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and compete on excellence in services in focused areas. Create opportunities between senior consultant and partners.

3. Above-average compensation for my field, non-bureaucratic culture, very collaborative environment

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal

Pros

A&M has, as one CEO said, "a healthy disregard for bureacracy." This is woven into its culture, and it is a refreshing change from most corporate environments this size. Although there is a clear hierarchical structure, there is also, paradoxically, a "flat feeling" to it all - a shared ownership model that gives each employee respect and equitable relations with peers.

The company also offers solid compensation. In my department, the salaries are significantly higher than they are for similar positions in the same industry at other companies, in my experience.

A third positive is the level of collaboration. Our department is definitely an example of "the whole being greater than the sum of its parts." Innovation, entrepreneurial spirit, and friendly competition exist - but these are well balanced against a cooperative and collaborative ethos. Micromanagers and bureaucrats seem to have a tough time here.

Cons

Every plus can, when pushed too far, become a negative. That "healthy disregard for bureacracy" takes some getting used to, as one witnesses projects materialize in rather unorthodox, sometimes even whimsical, ways. This can be off-putting for someone who cannot function without process and protocol.

There is also a tacit expectation to always sort of be "on", plugged in. You are issued a Blackberry, and laptop on Day One. And there is sort of an unspoken expectation that you will check your emails and keep your phone powered up on weekends, personal days off and vacations. But this isn't super-strict, and the anti-bureaucratic culture serves as a check against this to a degree.

5. Smart people, hard working, solid comp.

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal

Pros

Given lots of responsibility, intelligent coworkers.

Cons

Can have periods of prolonged down time.

6. Bright and ambitious need not apply

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal

Pros

This is a review of the "PI/BC" group. Restructuring is completely different. For what it's worth, they are fairly flexible in terms of work environment. And the office was always trying to organize events for us, even if they were so cheaply done that I wondered sometimes why they even bothered.

Cons

Very insular culture. People who have burned out at real consulting firms come here to work on small projects for middle market clients, selling techniques that haven't been popular since the late 90s. All their good client references come from restructuring or when people were at different firms.
    They're so absurdly thrifty that they will spend $100 of someone's time to save $10. They make consultants keep boarding passes as part of the expense reimbursement process.

Advice to Management

You have no reason to change, really. As long as the CEOs own the company and the PI leader stays in power, sucking up to the old guard is all you can do. Just stop selling yourself as something you're not so that people you hire don't feel like you've pulled a bait and switch.

Complete Lack of Orientation

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Nice People in Other Division of the Company

Cons

People lack Proper Education and will set you up, discriminate against you such as "I prefer to work with men". " I prefer to work with people from the North". Some Directors will not allow you to eat meals. It is absurd!

Advice to Management

Find some good, educated healthcare talent in the Southern Region

8. A great place to work

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal

Pros

Smart people who work with really impressive clients. Compensate well and have great traveling benefits. People overall seem happy but always have their phones with them. As an intern you get a fair amount of work.

Cons

Some people are not friendly. The instructions can be vague. Supervisors oftentimes don't have time to talk to you and can be a little impatient. However, I think that happens in many firms.

9. Accounting intern

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal

Pros

Your coworkers are friendly and want you to do well.

Cons

Sometines very unstructured and you're left confused on what to do next.

10. Sr. Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal

Pros

Great Company to work for. Excellent Benefits. Great balance to one's professional and personal life.

Cons

Reviews does not determine bonus and increase in salary for the most part.

Advice to Management

Management should reward hard workers more than slackers

11. Great clients & people. Sometimes need to have better oversight of managers

Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal

Pros

A&M really cares about it's people. The work is usually interesting.

Cons

Because everyone is out on separate clients, reviews and oversight is heavily dependent on good feedback from managers on performance. If you get aligned out of the gate with someone you do not click with, it can put you at a disadvantage.

Advice to Management

Make it less taboo to change to a different performance manager.