Alzheimer's Association

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harry Johns

Pros
  • if you want to get your feet wet in the world of development this is a great place to learn the trade (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits are provided to the staff to compensate for overall low salaries (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • With such small chapters, chances are you will have no room for growth or professional development (in 5 reviews)

• As many non-profit organizations can be, it was a little bit disorganized (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Illinois Chapter great place to grow, risk tolerant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery supportive of staff with ideas - though not everyone steps up with ideas. When I presented my idea to senior management, they jumped on the idea and let me run with it. It went very well and I got a $ bonus for my success. Not all employers willing to do that. Good medical and dental benefits, 401K match, good PTO, life and disability insurance.

ConsThere are always whiners in every org - this one is no different. But if you can ignore them, you can excel.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what you are doing. Keep offering new opportunities as often as possible.

PR Assistant/Intern

PR Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsThe sense of community in the office is wonderful. Everyone for the most part feels as though they are working towards that greater purpose of support, finding a cure and overall education of the disease. It has the nice aspects of working for a small company, unlimited drinks, catered lunches on occassion, just about everyone knows each other by name. It's a very calm and motivated environment overall.

ConsThere can be a slight undertone of hierarchy within the office especially in Development. It's very obvious that team is drinking their own kool-aid if you catch my drift. The telethons are a little depressing too, you realize when its 8pm on a tuesday night and you're leaving your hundreth scripted cheerful voicemail for some sorority girl who begrudgingly agreed to sign up for the Walk to End ALZ, but has no clue what ALZ even is or that there is an actual difference between ALZ and dementia,... that you are simply chasing that money! If you really want to help out those family's who are affected with ALZ, volunteer at the events and listen. Unless you're in a higher up position, you don't always feel that you are making real impact. (**But I must stress that there is great opportunity to advance within the ranks as long as you keep a positive and solid work ethic!)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

From great to truly awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsImportant mission, good (albeit, expensive) benefits, and a handful of wonderful, dedicated individuals.

ConsThere is a culture of chronic self-delusion: The assn is the kind of place that allows problematic departments to conduct their own institutional "reviews" and report the results. Senior management has no idea what is going on in the trenches. It doesn't help that they're punitive and reactive when receiving requested feedback. Middle management perpetuates and compounds the dysfunction by feigning allegiance to upper management while complaining to staff about the daily realities. It puts staff in the untenable position of hand-holding/babysitting re. their managers: Staff who fulfill that role best hang on. Staff who focus on work and the mission, don't. Talented employees -- once they're aware of the intractable insanity of the situation -- leave. The outcome? Churn baby, churn.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom the top down, HR lacks discernment. They're inexperienced re. organizational management, psychology and liabilities. As a result, they are highly subject to influence by any bamboozling manager who cozies up to them. They are completely unaware of trends and history re. departments. A simple analysis of turnover, by manager, would speak volumes re. costly issues. Look at the performance reviews and resumes of persons leaving. Those simple actions would objectively answer questions that are otherwise explained away or poo-pooed by management itself. So many highly talented and productive people leave -- certain they never want to return.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Technology (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis is a laid back environment. The people here are friendly. The hours are very manageable and they don't work you into the ground

ConsCompensation is not where I would like it to be but that is a given being in the nonprofit business. Your budget is greatly impacted by fundraising and donations.

Good for recent grads

Education Specialist/Program Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat way to network and learn about various community resources that are available. Great benefits for single individuals, families/couples not so great benefits.

ConsNo real growth opportunities. Pay for an MSW was under $30k. Rewarding to work with caregivers and provide information to the community. Micromanagement and employee favoritism evident. Expect to work 40+ hours a week, time-off policies aren't great. Wouldn't reconsider going back to organization for a career. Expect to you stay in office for majority of the time, yet they also expect you to provide numerous programs in the community...conflict.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect your programs department to be able to provide services if you keep the staff in the office. Favoritism towards employees. Board members should be much more involved in organization's work. Keep all the staff in the loop on decisions made, the trickle down effect didn't trickle down whatsoever.

You can make a difference.

ProsWorking for the Alzheimer's Association is great because not only are you furthering your career but you are helping people struggling with Alzheimer's disease.

ConsThe benefits are okay and the pay is manageable, but not as much as I was making in a corporate position previously.

A truly odd organization.

Chief Executive Officer (Former Employee) Southwest, PA

ProsStaff is committed to their work and interacts with family members well and with respect. The 24-hour helpline is probably their best outreach into the Alzheimer's community.

ConsPathetic boards as a rule. Very immature and focused more on bringing accolades to themselves than on research, treatment, and energizing new researchers. Boards do not truly grasp the roles of advocacy and fundraising; they focus more on hearing and voting on reports, tweaking investments, and in some cases, micromanaging staff! When these actions are brought up, watch out - don't show them examples of high performing boards from Board Source, for example. Members focus on tactics, not strategy.

The present configuration of independent chapters and an overarching national org frequently causes trouble identifying the strategies for all in governance to follow. Allowing persons to serve on local and national boards may seem like a feather in the chapter's cap, but in reality can cause conflict where the local board wants to go with one direction vs. the national direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider doing what other national VHA's have done - using the national chapter as the primary focus with the chapters serving as community advisory and fundraising functions.

Great organization, but lack of good leadership prevents any foundation of development.

ProsGreat organization with lots of programs to help those dealing with Alzheimer's in the community.

ConsLack of good/consistent leadership, little room for growth. High turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet someone that has as strong background in fundraising and development and knows how to be a good manager. If nothing is done, then we will continue to lose good people in the organization and will make it difficult to make an impact.

Great CAUSE to work for!

Program Coordinator (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat CAUSE to work for!
    Good employee benefits!
    Able to work directly with Alzheimer's Patients & their families.

ConsPoor employee compensation
    Too top heavy with administration
    Poor funding to complete important duties

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a good effort in providing sufficient funding for employees to complete their good work in the field & limit/eliminate some administrative positions.

Cares about their employees and their mission

Public Relations (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule when things arise with your health/family; great culture; supportive staff; mission driven; great benefits and staff rewards when performing

ConsNot many opportunities to move up or develop career.

Worked for Alzheimer's Association? Contribute to the Community!