AmTrust Financial

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.0

Barry D. Zyskind

Pros
  • A GREAT place to freshen up old programming skills and build completely new ones (in 3 reviews)

• Very laid back environment, fairly stress free and comfortable (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately, hard work and drive don't account for anything if you're not in with upper management (in 4 reviews)

• The management is terrible, zero career opportunity, upper management is very selfish you are just a number to them (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced Entreprenuerial Organization from the top down.
    Visibility
    Opportunities to show value and make a difference
    Stock Performace, company Financials and outlook extremely stable.

Cons

Does not provide Tuition Reimbursement.

Keep up the good work. Do not lose the entreprenuerial culture.

The job is what you make it to be.

Current Employee - Entry Level Web Developer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Entry Level Web Developer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial

Pros

There are a lot of smart people working on my team from which I learn a lot everyday.
    While I read a lot of negative reviews about AmTrust - I feel that AmTrust is not much different than other places. It is a good place to start - it probably is a good place to come back to with a lot of experience and I've seen exceptional people advance from within.

Cons

I don't see many wrong things about this place - it is a place to work! I am glad Cleveland has a big insurer like AmTrust - God knows it needs more places like it.

none.

Underwriter

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security and benefits. Good pay.

Cons

Not much room for growth.

Unless you are unemployed and absolutely need a job, don't work here

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company phone, wifi, laptop
    Travel(which wasn't part of the job description when hired)
    Decent benefits
    Co-workers, for the most part, are great.
    Free coffee/Soda
    I guess another pro is they are willing to pay other people tons of money based on experience(i guess 14 years in a field is not enough), even if you are useless and don't do anything all day and have no work to do all day long every day.

Cons

It's been chaotic since day 1-constant worry if you are going to have your job because of company direction
    More and more responsibilities each year with no promotions or pay corrections after they change the salary range of your job 2 times after you were hired
    People hired after you in the same position make 20-25% more than you and and have 75% less work than you.
    Have had two senior Managers and 3 different Supervisors in 3.5 years
    Company would rather hire people from the outside than promote from within
    When other departments complain about the hours you work, your hours get changed, unless you are an AVP or Manager, then you can come in and go as you please
    Company is officially against working from home and no flex time, again, unless you are an AVP, Manager , etc...
    No career path
    No Tuition/Training reimbursement(even if it's related to your job)
    No career path
    They promise you are career path, but there is none.
    Did i mention there is no career path?
    You need be part of the good ole boys club to get anywhere

Balanced salary band for the same job title
    Better bonus and raises
    Adopt the work from home policy like every other company
    Allow for more carry over days that don't have to be used in the first quarter of the year.
    Vacation day Purchase option
    Tutition reimbursement, at lease for related field/industry(not just for the board members kids who work here)
    Employee Rewards Program

Work in progress

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I personally work for the best boss I've ever had, people in other areas certainly aren't. After reading other reviews, I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or the particular team I'm on is well rounded? In my area folks are pretty social and everyone helps each other out. Most people have sizable desks and a cabinet with two drawers.

We are starting to adapt modern technologies. This isn't company wide, it is dictated by the managers of particular teams. SASS, LESS, bootstrap, flat designs, mobile, knockout, git, but only certain teams!

Cons

My initial fear was it would be too quiet and boring. It kind of is if you compare it to "fun" companies. There are a lot of people there who hate fun. To the extent that the company sends them to Europe a few times to work with a company we own and they hate it. There are a lot of people who are gross and nerdy know it alls who check in bad code regularly. The type of person who when they were a kid thought people didn't like them because they were "smart", when really they are either anti social, super annoying or dirty like where they don't bath).

Downtown traffic is horrible. People can use traffic and parking as a reason why Cleveland is better than bigger cities but it's just as bad as Chicago, Miami, LA, at times. Bad enough that significant amounts of people go to the bar or gym for a an hour to let it die down.

You can get stuck on a project where people are building apps and websites like its 2002! We are still supporting IE7 for who knows what reason. This affects us devs, the users and the designers significantly negatively.

They had a holiday party that IT wasn't invited to at the Great Lakes science center. We are talking like a select hundred or two were invited only. Sure the people who hate fun wouldn't go anyways but the rest of us are feeling slighted and neglected. There is growing resentment that we don't matter.

Be more careful who you hire. Hiring someone green who will have the oversight to learn the right or better ways of doing things is fine, stop hiring people who think they are rockstars that just muck up everything who are horrible people.

Maybe do more things that are fun to get people excited about their lives, Cleveland corporate challenge and the Indians game was fun, but there should be more. Maybe have a holiday party that everyone is invited to. You have companies on all sides of us who do fun things for their employees. A company who brags about $3billion of revenue a quarter can afford it.

This company is a joke

I have been working at AmTrust Financial

Pros

Job security - but that in itself is a double sided sword.

Cons

Absolutely the worst place Iv'e ever worked for. The management here is more concerned about hiring their friends and family than hiring qualified people. Infrastructure is a complete joke. If you're not in the click don't expect a promotion anytime soon. Reviews and salary increases are a completely joke too and a slap in the face.

The management here have no clue what they are doing. You will be told to do one thing one minute then moments later instructions will change. You will get vague answers for questions you have or for instructions that you do get leaving you questioning how or what the end goal is.

Promotions? Forget about it unless you are related to someone or sleeping with someone. That's the only way you ever will get a promotion.

This company's main problem is they throw hordes of inexperienced people(we have TONS of developers) at a problem rather than getting qualified people to do it. Our developement team is horrible. We probably have over 200 devs "working" on pieces of code. And I use the term working very loosely. Most of the devs we hire are punk kids who think their poo don't stink and that they are God.

Speaking of people who think they are God the VPs here are the exact same way.VPs don't know what they are doing half the time. They will throw temper tantrums resulting in people getting special cases when it comes to supporting them or them getting equipment resulting in one off cases.

The service desk - where do I even begin with them? Untrained monkeys could do a better job at handling the front line of support. Most of them have zero experience in IT and it is run as more of a call center than a service desk(which falls on the VPs again not knowing what they are doing). They will provide you with zero support outside of "did you reboot?". They misassign tickets causing delays in techs getting to the problem. They will just copy and paste exactly what the end user emailed in when creating a ticket and call that troubleshooting.

Over all, if you are looking for a job opportunity here I would look elsewhere. Yes, this place will brag that business is good and that they are growing constantly - which is true. HOWEVER, the growth is because they will pretty much hire any bloke off the street, slap just about any job title on them and ignore the fact that they are sitting at their computer playing Doom all day long or watching Nascar videos on Youtube.

Learn to manage.

A work in progress.

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Goal oriented company; motivated to get things done.

Cons

Principally a workers comp company; not quite prepared to deliver in all areas. Systems need adaptation or change.

Slow down, seek input from your many resources. It does not hurt to be inclusive.

Great Job

I worked at AmTrust Financial (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work

Cons

The traffic downtown is horrible

Work somewhere else

Current Employee - Assigned Risk Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Assigned Risk Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There really isn't anything you can say that would be a positive. They can be flexible with time off. The benefits offered are decent.

Cons

If you are not in the right group you won't go far. It is a very backstabbing environment. NO personal growth. NO career path or training. The values seem to be, how much the employees can make us with the company giving back as little as they can to their employees. Which leads to being under paid, appreciated, valued or even given any respect.

To answer "Absolutely Awful" posted on 12/10/14. "You do not need 200 people to handle an influx of 10 bug tickets per day." The reason for that is a deal Amtrust has with the city to get breaks. They promised so many jobs over a certain period. I have had a co-worker tell me there are a lot of people sitting around looking for some work.
    As long as Amtrust is receiving their breaks from the city they do not care who is doing what. That is just the nature of the beast. Never believe the company has your best interest at heart.

Maybe send some of your managers to a proper Management Seminar. They lack leadership, innovation, maturity, and just basic skills.

Absolutely Awful. (IT/Software Engineer)

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mid-Level Pay for very little work required.

Cons

There is no leadership initiative. The hiring process infers you will work in C#, but you in reality work in an antiquated VB environment.
    Strict policies against fixing warnings or improving code, standing policy is "No changes without a ticket".
     Software Engineers are glorified Help-desk Technicians.
     Extremely toxic work environment. IT Management are young, fresh out of college and very volatile, to the point of threatening to terminate contracts for asking them questions.
    Very little actual work to be done, 80% of the average employees day is gossip and surfing the internet.
    Zero in the way of naming conventions or parity in code environment.
    Best Practices are entirely ignored in development environment. Spaghetti code everywhere.

Cull the herd. You do not need 200 people to handle an influx of 10 bug tickets per day.
    Replace mid-level management with experienced management professionals, not people who tell you what you want to hear.
    Convert to modern standards. (C#, Git, etc)