AmTrust Financial Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Barry D. Zyskind

Pros
  • A GREAT place to freshen up old programming skills and build completely new ones (in 3 reviews)

• Very laid back environment, fairly stress free and comfortable (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The beginning learning curve is steep, and the company does not have a formal training process (in 3 reviews)

• for get best practices, no practices is the way it goes here (in 2 reviews)

1. IT Business Analyst

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Developers and Supervisors are very helpful. Business partners are easy to work with.

Cons

I have not found many cons. We do have to be online late at night occasionally but we know when it is coming to plan appropriately.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to management. The company is well managed and the issues within a team depend completely on the department and supervisors/managers. My department is run efficiently and run well.

2. Worth it

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Very open teams and dynamic atmosphere. Liked it a lot will want to work again

Cons

The downtown traffic is the only problem. Is there room for advancement?

Developer

Current Employee - Developer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Developer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial (More than a year)

Pros

If you need to pay your bills and aren't really concerned growing professionally, this will be a great company. Code is primarily VB. Casual dress. You can put on your headphones and not talk to anyone all day. Growing Company: True enough. They always have new jobs

Cons

I haven't read a negative review on here that I don't agree with. Work and on boarding: No guidance, no mentorship. The code is very outdated. I realized shortly after starting that I had been largely lied to in the interview. They said mentorship was important but I would spend whole days having no idea what to do and unable to find someone to answer my questions. They also said they were transitioning from VB.NET to C#, this was not true. Apparently they told a friend of mine they were moving from VB.NET to Java, also not true. If you want to learn new, applicable and modern languages, this isn't the place. It's all VB. My biggest concern personally is that I took this job hoping to grow but feel like my only coding growth is what I work on at home. Also, there was definitely no on boarding process. Most of my first two weeks was spent trying to on-board myself, then the management seemed surprised that I was so adrift and confused. Others didn't even have a desk or a computer. Some were encouraged to "observe and learn" from other coders. This consisted of sitting next to another developer while they ignored the new person and did their work with no explanations. Environment: Super bright. I leave work with a migraine every day. Very cliquey and segmented workforce. They people who seem to fit in are the cranky, sarcastic or whiny people. After a few months of wondering what everyone else was working on, since I seemed to always be waiting for something to be available, I realized that most people have a small window on their screen with reddit, youtube videos, facebook or the like that they are useing, while the rest of their screens are filed with what looks like work. Mandatory overtime once you're salaried: That was a surprise. Personally, I don't consider it not working just because I'm at home. They touted a work life balance but that seems to be inaccurate.

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Don't be surprised when your employees are lost and confused after a month if you take no time to train them. Implement a standard training/onboarding process for new hires. Check in occasionally with employees to see how they're doing. Look out for the redundancies and wasted time.

5. Meh

Former Employee - Claims Examiner
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner

I worked at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and great colleagues. People always willing to help.

Cons

Management seems out of touch with the daily processes.

Advice to Management

Reward the loyal, hard working employees more frequently.

Claims

Pros

There are no pros.

Cons

Management plays employees against each other setting a very uncomfortable atmosphere.

Underwriter

Current Employee - Underwriter in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Concord, CA

Pros

I guess if you like working for a huge corporation this is the place.

Cons

No communication. Too many people handling one account.

Advice to Management

Proper training. Communication skills

8. Business Data Analyst

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture and people are very helpful and laid back, the pay is decent for an entry level position.

Cons

The dress code is way too casual for a professional company.

Great opportunity

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good job to have today

Cons

shorter work week something like 4/10

If you're not here via nepotism, you're gonna have a bad time

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get away with doing nothing all day because management is too busy doing the same.

Cons

Testers get paid more than developers do - it makes no sense at all. No upward mobility unless you know someone (Most of the management are either related to, screwing or friends with the CIO/COO). Pay is severely unbalanced based on who you know. Promotions take almost a year to go through with no back pay. Toxic management discuss personnel issues out in the open. Unfair treatment based on race by some management. Over-hiring people when there isn't as much work to go around.

Advice to Management

Relatives aren't going to make you look good - promote the hard workers.

Former Employee

Pros

Very little positives for low and mid level employees.

Cons

Management unresponsive and hostile to employees. Claim reserving practices in violation of most insurance department regulations. Employees instructed to stay silent on reserving practices. Mgt.

RSS Feed </> Embed