Amarr Garage Doors

Updated October 26, 2014
2.5

Jeff Mick

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have been working at Amarr Garage Doors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best things about working at Amarr is that the workers keep the environment lively and worth looking forward to on a daily basis. In addition to that the workers that have been there the longest are very welcoming & are more than happy to give you advice for you to be successful in the company. For a college student like myself the entry level payment that you receive is great.

Cons

Yes, the entry level payment is great but for the amount of labor that you do, which varies from department to department, it is not enough money to compensate for that. The company spends more time & money attempting to fix issues that will have little to no affect on the success of the company as oppose to taking better care of their employees & the critical issues that truly matter. Another major challenge is the point system which leaves employees with no wiggle room to enjoy life. At times you may feel like a slave to the company which isn't a feeling worth having. And finally management does not stick to their word because they sugar coat things until you actually begin working for them and find out the truth.

Take better care of the employees, stick true to your words, get a better point system, increase the pay for all positions especially the ones with the most labor, & make the work environment feel like it's not such slave ship.

Rampant discrimination, total boys club

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Amarr Garage Doors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people work there and genuinely care about their coworkers and customers.

Cons

Starting wage is very low. Money is clearly spent at corporate but not at the plant. Machinery and equipment are always down. The pick de-lite system in hardware has needed serious fixes and upgrades for years and the money is just not spent in the right areas. If you are a female or older than 45, forget being promoted to management no matter how hard you work. Women are either not promoted or actively demoted to create positions for the boys club. The young boys that run the company are clueless and spend more time primping in the mirror than actually learning their jobs and servicing the customer. Corporate maybe works 4 days a week in air conditioned offices with every Friday off. The plant works 6 days a week almost every week in a dirty dangerous hot environment. I received one day of training before put on the floor, no one showed me even how to read a run sheet.

Starting wage is too low. Invest in the plant. They need new computers on the shop floor and better tools and equipment. Invest in climate control systems to make the employees more comfortable. New hire training should go for a week, not just one day.

No home life possible, ever.

Former Employee - Any in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Any in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Amarr Garage Doors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I could not think on one single solitary one.

Cons

Way to many to list. The worst is way too much overtime, NEVER expect to get to have home time ALL overtime is MANDATORY. They tell you duing interview overtime is occasional, down playing the way it acctualy is. What they mean is overtime is every occasion possible.

Pull your heads out. We are people NOT robots.

hire more selectively

Former Employee - Press Operator in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Press Operator in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Amarr Garage Doors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you show up for work on time and work hard you will keep a job.

Cons

Too many mandatory hours, very disorganized, and leadership sucks.

management needs to actually do their jobs. treat people with respect and they will work harder for you. when Assa Abloy takes over your all gone anyway.

Amarr- it's where hope goes to die.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Amarr Garage Doors (less than an year)

Pros

As indicated by my title, I don't have many positive things to say. That said, there is a really good chance you'll lose weight working here. The working conditions are typical warm/very warm factory conditions, & most tasks involve a pretty fair amount of physical labor, so there's that. And within the small group I've been assigned to work with, I've met some great, super capable people. Sadly, they're overworked, underappreciated, & stressed out, but they don't take it out on others. In a weird way, it's almost like we're all hostages- we don't really like the situation, we wish we were someplace else, so we're just trying to make it out alive, you know?

Cons

Without a doubt, it's the mandatory overtime. Yes, you're getting paid, but due to the very physical nature of the work, you're tired, all the time, especially on that ONE day off. And it's even more frustrating because there is NO reason whatsoever that there should be so much overtime- I've never seen such a mis-managed business in my life, with an absolutely archaic computer system that hinders more than it helps. But mostly, I dislike the attitude of the company higher ups- I have been told multiple times that I should "be grateful to have a job" & that "working here is a privilege, not a right!" That kind of openly hostile & disrespectful attitude explains the remarkably high turnover rate they have, which is why they're always hiring.

First, change your attitude. You won't have a thing to sell as long as you keep looking down your noses at the people who actually BUILD what you sell. And make overtime voluntary- you'll still have plenty of people who choose to do it, but you won't have almost every knowledgeable long term employee out there looking for a new job (which is currently the case) due to extreme burnout. Life is short, & it is not meant to be wasted working 60-70 hours a week making garage doors. Repeat after me- they're...just...garage...doors. You're not curing cancer, for the love of God.

It is great

I have been working at Amarr Garage Doors

Pros

The people, the management as well as the way they let you ask questions and give suggestions

Cons

Long hours, Kind of a stressful atmosphere, Saturdays are required most of the time, and there are errors by other employees

Ha Ha What a joke this place is.

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Amarr Garage Doors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part the people are pretty friendly and somewhat considerate. A few of the jobs are laid back.

Cons

Pay is less than it should be for the type of work that it is. Management needs to pull its head out of its collective ass.

Listen to subordinates/ communicate with subordinates.