Amarr Garage Doors

Updated Apr 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Mick

Not the worst company you could work for.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt's not the worst place to work depending on your position

ConsLong hours, lean staffing leads to excessive OT, then seasonality of replacement and new construction leads to reduced work/hours. Not the most competitive compensation for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow as much concern for the employee as for the sale

No home life possible, ever.

Any (Former Employee)
    Lawrence, KS

ProsI could not think on one single solitary one.

ConsWay to many to list. The worst is way too much overtime, NEVER expect to get to have home time ALL overtime is MANDATORY. They tell you duing interview overtime is occasional, down playing the way it acctualy is. What they mean is overtime is every occasion possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull your heads out. We are people NOT robots.

hire more selectively

Press Operator (Former Employee)
    Lawrence, KS

ProsIf you show up for work on time and work hard you will keep a job.

ConsToo many mandatory hours, very disorganized, and leadership sucks.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement needs to actually do their jobs. treat people with respect and they will work harder for you. when Assa Abloy takes over your all gone anyway.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amarr- it's where hope goes to die.

Lawrence, KS

ProsAs indicated by my title, I don't have many positive things to say. That said, there is a really good chance you'll lose weight working here. The working conditions are typical warm/very warm factory conditions, & most tasks involve a pretty fair amount of physical labor, so there's that. And within the small group I've been assigned to work with, I've met some great, super capable people. Sadly, they're overworked, underappreciated, & stressed out, but they don't take it out on others. In a weird way, it's almost like we're all hostages- we don't really like the situation, we wish we were someplace else, so we're just trying to make it out alive, you know?

ConsWithout a doubt, it's the mandatory overtime. Yes, you're getting paid, but due to the very physical nature of the work, you're tired, all the time, especially on that ONE day off. And it's even more frustrating because there is NO reason whatsoever that there should be so much overtime- I've never seen such a mis-managed business in my life, with an absolutely archaic computer system that hinders more than it helps. But mostly, I dislike the attitude of the company higher ups- I have been told multiple times that I should "be grateful to have a job" & that "working here is a privilege, not a right!" That kind of openly hostile & disrespectful attitude explains the remarkably high turnover rate they have, which is why they're always hiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, change your attitude. You won't have a thing to sell as long as you keep looking down your noses at the people who actually BUILD what you sell. And make overtime voluntary- you'll still have plenty of people who choose to do it, but you won't have almost every knowledgeable long term employee out there looking for a new job (which is currently the case) due to extreme burnout. Life is short, & it is not meant to be wasted working 60-70 hours a week making garage doors. Repeat after me- they're...just...garage...doors. You're not curing cancer, for the love of God.

Lots of autonomy if you're good!

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay, good people, great company support. Work from a home office and cover a multi-state territory including several distribution centers.

ConsLong hours, heavy workload, extremely competitive market. Hard to diversify beyond residential sales due to manufacturing limitations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more of a breakdown in the sales team. Maybe have District Sales Managers with additional Sales Managers beneath them. This would cut the workload and increase the overall sales presence - resulting in more overall sales.

Great company with excellent leadership. Privately owned,

Manager (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsCaring culture towards employees and customers. Leader in the industry in design and excellent distrubution network. Consultative sales approach with above average customer retainage. Top performers are rewarded with qtrly and year end bonuses. VP of Sales/Marketing has been with company for 30 years.

ConsFilled with well qualified employees who all motivated to grow with company. Lots of internal competition when advancement opportunities are presented. Tend to rely more on assessments/interviews and outside consultants than actual work performance when making advancement decisions. Outside market conditions can unfairly influence qtrly and year end bonus rewards.

Ha Ha What a joke this place is.

Manufacturing (Current Employee)
    Lawrence, KS

ProsFor the most part the people are pretty friendly and somewhat considerate. A few of the jobs are laid back.

ConsPay is less than it should be for the type of work that it is. Management needs to pull its head out of its collective ass.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to subordinates/ communicate with subordinates.

It is great

Lawrence, KS

ProsThe people, the management as well as the way they let you ask questions and give suggestions

ConsLong hours, Kind of a stressful atmosphere, Saturdays are required most of the time, and there are errors by other employees

Reputable company with great products and dedicated employees

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsStable company, decent base salary, good benefits, thorough training

ConsPoor incentives (commissions, bonuses), heavy workload

Got Screwed

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNice corporate employees that will help you with all your needs. I was with the company for almost nine years and worked my way up from warehouse associate to the Operations Manager.

ConsI was let go by a District Manager that didn't do his homework. He's no longer with the company. I was planning on retiring with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your homework before you go blaming employees for breaking the ethics policies.

Worked for Amarr Garage Doors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amarr Garage Doors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amarr Garage Doors CEO Jeff Mick. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Amarr Garage Doors employees.