Amazon Lab126

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Jeff Bezos

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

No culture, good pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsCompensation is very competitive. They generously offered me more than 20% of what I said I would work for, plus a large but standard bonus and RSU's. They provide limited shuttle to SF, East and South bay and you get fruit on Tuesdays, but get there early to get it.

Some great innovative project ideas and lots of money behind them bring them to life. Exciting to work on projects where nothing in the market exists to compare it to. Other projects are 'me too'

Some employees are very dedicated, extremely intelligent and hard working. There are some gems here.

ConsThere is literally no culture or much in the way of perks. Work life balance can be pretty bad. There's all the policy and corporate structure of Amazon with lesser engineering staff than Amazon (on some teams). The bar can get lowered when teams are desperate for staff and I've seen good people quit because they're tired of low quality talent getting hired.

The offer is back-loaded but otherwise fairly standard. My particular offer was 50% of the bonus on the day I started, owing the pro rated portion back if I leave before the year is up. Then the remaining 50% of the bonus amortized over year 1-2. RSU's sit in a holding tank and you don't receive any until years 2-3, with the majority of them being over year 3-4. When there's no culture, heavy workload and high stress: that four years is going to feel like an eternity.

For projects that haven't launched there is a lot of auditing and hoops to jump through to adhere to Amazon standards.

Lots of blame, occasional employee backstabbing and spending energy to be 'defensive' against other groups and protect yourself from blame. Some bad employees poison entire groups yet the bad employees remain.

Many of the hires are people that have families or obligations that require the high pay and only do it for the paycheck, showing very little passion in their work. Or H1-B type hires that take weeks or months to finally join your team.

High levels of attrition across the board. I worked on multiple teams and saw that most people don't stay more than 2 years.

Jeff doesn't want to provide perks like free food because they believe in a culture where there are people who are builders and are dedicated to working just to work, and not essentially 'moochers' that show up for perks. What they don't understand is that there is a balance between those two and not everyone who enjoys free food is a moocher.

During launches they might cater free food but often it's dinner with the expectation that you'll work 10+ hour days. Sometimes this just means pizza. Rarely is lunch provided, but it really depends on the team.

Expect less than 1% raises for an average employee annual performance review. All your compensation better be negotiated up front because it's pretty static once you're on the team.

Often people who get promotions won't get recognized for it because there is a culture where they don't want to make other employees jealous. Lots of management get shuffled around and shoved back down the totem pole when under performing.

It can just feel like a sad place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your culture and don't lower the bar. You need to create better culture before people will stop leaving so quickly. The high pay isn't enough to keep people happy.

Challenging but positive place to work

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsAmazon will challenge your capabilities but provide enormous growth. The company invests heavily so there are plenty of exciting projects to be involved in. It is an opportunity to learn and grow at the largest e-commerce company in the world. All points of view matter and you are encouraged to speak up and take action. It s a unique culture and a great group of bright and motivated people throughout. Lots of passionate debate which leads to great decisions.

Conscan be hard to close on directions and get the org moving in one direction. It can be consensus driving which make it difficult to get decisions made.

What a mess

Operations Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsGood base pay, good hiring bonus

ConsLousy health benefits, big company trying to operate in start up mode with no sense of direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your house in order. You shouldn't have to send 30 people to China for every product build.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst place I've worked over the past 2 decades

Hardware Development Engineer (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsHonestly, I can not think of one single pro about working here; any pro comes with a con. For example, any bonus is tied to a 1 year commitment of employment, any 401K match is tied to a 3 year commitment of employment, RSU vesting structure is such that only 20% of your shares vest after 2 years of employment and after 2 years you will likely be miserable working here. It could be an okay place to work for an internship or new grad, but you will be doing yourself a huge disservice working at Lab126 if you want to advance your career or grow intellectually.

ConsI could write a book. My advice is to not ignore the negative reviews on Glassdoor because they are all valid. Lab126 is a politically charged, lack of vision, lack of leadership, follow the competition and copy the reference design house. The amount of money wasted churning on "me too" products and flying out large teams of people every time somebody overseas farts is ridiculous. Ideas touted as innovate inside the company are typically absurd and are only value as a marketing gimmick. Any truly revolutionary ideas will be slapped down because they have no confidence on executing new concepts or creating new market segments. But the best part of it all is that if you bring these great ideas of yours to the table you will be chastised for not cowering in the corner like the rest of the good little mice. There are some good people here and some truly worthless people here, but who stays and who goes is based off pure brown nosing and strategic politic alignment. There are some high profile people working here I would not hire to mow my lawn. The benefits are poor for a company this size, but then again, there is no benefit in working here. I would give zero stars if I could. If I have saved one person from accepting a job at Lab126 then typing this was time well spent.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere will always be buses to throw people under.

Incredible experience

Product Development Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsThe company atmosphere is unparalleled. The pay is amazing and the company really helps the individual to grow and progress.

ConsThe company is not looking for entry level positions at this point in time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some entry level positions and really instill the company idea in them so that they can one day help lead it.

Backloaded stock units, try to lock you into 4 years of misery

Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsThere are lots of good places to eat in Cupertino but now they are moving to a wasteland near Moffet and Highway 101. Good play for n00b college kids that don't know any better.

ConsMost people quit within one year of employment.. The RSUs are back-loaded to 80% of the vesting in years 3 and 4. Nobody can actually last that long in this turd company so they just find a better job and quit. Agree with other comments here about politics, toxic culture and poor benefits. I will take the next job out of here as will many others.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd give you some advice but you would not listen to any of it.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsYou get to have Amazon on your resume

ConsTerrible benefits
    Excessive and pointless travel
    Company thrives on POLITICS
    POLITICS more important than product development
    Dysfunctional product development cycle, many resets
    Waste huge amounts of money on me too products which get sold at a loss
    There is nothing innovative about this place, who are they trying to fool?
    Toxic culture

Advice to Senior ManagementSit around collect your RSUs, what do you care?

Great Company

Software Development Engineer III (Current Employee)

Pros1. Exciting Projects
    2. Great potential to grow
    3. Good work-life balance

ConsBeing a smaller organization, sometimes the processes are not in place making it difficult at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan streamline processes within specific groups - that tailor to the group's requirements

Mixed blessing with no work/life balance

Hardware Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsGreat people to work with, some of the smartest in the industry. Cool products to work on. Casual dress code. Work hours are flexible. Pay is very good. Cupertino location is also great.

ConsNo work/life balance, most people are married to their jobs and neglect their families. Expected to travel to China approximately every two months, very poor working conditions there. Employees aren't appreciated or rewarded well for extra time put in. Career path is up to you...which means they provide no guidance. Bezos wants to be Steve Jobs but doesn't understand HW development.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your employees, stop putting the absolute minimum people on a project.

Challenging but lots of politics

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsLots of experience and ownership for younger engineers. Exciting new projects and smart coworkers. Work is challenging and satisfying but the road ahead is long.

ConsLots of politics be prepared to get back-stabbed by other groups. Watch what you say and write. Company is extremely frugal everything needs permissions before you can do anything. This slows down engineers. Don't expect raises negotiate your starting salary as high as possible. Lots of cronyism too be careful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your engineers with more respect and autonomy.

Worked for Amazon Lab126? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon Lab126 Videos

Amazon Lab126 – Why Work for Us?

Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile devices like the Kindle family of products. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Since then, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon Lab126 reviews and ratings in Cupertino, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon Lab126 CEO Jeff Bezos. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Amazon Lab126 employees.