Amazon Lab126 Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
126 reviews filtered by
3.1
Jeff Bezos

Pros
  • Compared to Apple, work-life balance is much better (in 4 reviews)

• The people are the best I've worked with and we've seen great products result from our combined efforts (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, most people are married to their jobs and neglect their families (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours - especially if one is on someone's list (in a position of power's bad side) (in 5 reviews)

1. Good company. Nice environment. People are willing to help you. A great start for a career.

Former Employee - Hardware Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126

Pros

Interesting. Sufficient fund. Challenging. You can change your group based on your interest.

Cons

Sometimes long working time. Less work/life balance.

Regrouping to deliver some promising new products

Current Employee - Principal Operations Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Operations Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- (Mostly) transparent management, open door policy, less politics than some other companies
    - Room to take initiative, fill in gaps where you see them
    - Hotels in China are first rate, if you need to travel there
    - New products in the works are interesting
    - Recent introduction of audio cloud computing product is evidence that Lab126 is not done innovating
    - Can take pride in working for a high profile customer-focused company
    - Sometimes when people decide to depart, it creates opportunity for those who stay

Cons

- Decision making process is unclear
    - It's taken a while to regroup after the Fire phone flop
    - Growth has slowed or even stopped, in contrast to expansion over past 3-4 years
    - Need new products in a new category to spur new grow
    - Economy class travel to China

Even though I worked my tail off on the Fire phone, and then had to witness a market failure, I thoroughly enjoyed my team and we delivered the HW product Jeff Bezos asked for. It was the most satisfying project of my career.

Morale has taken a hit, and I advise management to take action(s) which will make employees feel valued. Keep employees informed on the state of the business.

Allow employees who travel frequently to China to fly business class. A compromise might be after 2 or 3 overseas flights in a 12 month period, allow business class. I have found I spend more time working when I'm comfortable. In economy class, I can't even open my laptop all the way.

Encourage more collaboration with Amazon business leaders in Seattle, solicit and follow up on the best product ideas suggested by the many whip smart employees. Find ways to spur innovation.

Working at Lab126

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work hard, play hard, good benefits

Cons

nominal opportunity for growth, no place to eat nearby, cafeteria food is bad.

yearly bonus, opportunity for promotion for women

5. Software Tools Engineer II

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126

Pros

Light minded, fun and smart people to work with
    flexible schedules

Cons

poor Compensation & Benefits
    long hours with no rewards

Crazy amount of great stuffs to do here. But getting more political everyday

Current Employee - SDM in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SDM in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126

Pros

A lot of great projects, a lot of great people. A lot of things to learn and be excellent yourself. Good people here really know what they are doing.

Cons

Too many projects, too many Chefs. Too many conflicting priorities and good people get burn out. Benefits and Comp is Ok, but no Google/Facebook/Apple.

Look around on people's badge,, the big ship is running largely on new people who does not know the ins and outs yet. A lot of turnover and the rest are fighting fire constantly.

7. Overall I would say my intern project was fun nd my team was great.

I worked at Amazon Lab126

Pros

You get cool projects to work and your work is noticed.

Cons

Not much interactive teams and a very stringent environment

8. It's a job, learn to like it!

I have been working at Amazon Lab126

Pros

Name recognitions: Amazon. Retail synergy.

Cons

Flailing management that never learns from constantly repeating mistakes. Even HR complains (privately) about the lack of attention to keeping people. Such poor planning, like people trying to learn arithmetic from a textbook written in a language they do not read. Many arms have been sprained or broken from violent self-back-patting about how wonderfully "innovative" this joint is, when in reality products fall into just these sad categories, one - copying the competition, two - cost down version 2, three - really REALLY bad ideas like the Fire phone, obviously doomed from the start, four - a tiny qty of accidental good ideas. Has anyone noticed how many "innovation" initiatives like camps, workshops, contests, wikis, etc everything but mudwrestling have been launched in the last 4 months? Anyone think, management is desperate for a good ideas and has no clue where to find one?

Retire, leave town, or just start feeding "top secret" product plans to competitors as this can only help Lab.

Once was great...

Current Employee - Hardware Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We had great people. Fun and rewarding projects. Great pay.

Cons

Recent reorgs in hardware engineering. Some genius put the upper management team that failed for 3 years developing our flop of a phone, in charge of the successful kindle team. Now kindle is trash, much of the talented engineers have gone to our competition and the rest of the kindle teams are scrambling to leave this horrible management trio. You know politics are bad when you can be responsible for the company's biggest failure and still be allowed to take over and tank the successful product line.

Look into the impact this new management has made on the company. Both in good personnel leaving in groups and also the product failures they're responsible for. Fix this before they take down all of Lab with them.

Process intense, political and lots of travel

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126

Pros

Nice people to work with. Nice gym.

Cons

Too much politics. Too many projects without clear objective.

Epitome of Terrible. You will regret accepting the offer.

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126

Pros

- opportunity to work with interesting technologies
    - easy to stay abreast of the latest technologies as you are always being courted by suppliers
    - for a new grad, it can possibly be a great stepping stone for future jobs.
    - only a good company if you're director level or above
    - the brand name

Cons

- directors and upper management are the aristocrats and carry themselves accordingly.
    - management is very fickle and are inept at making decisions. What this means to you (if you're not fortunate to be an aristocrat) is that you will be jerked around constantly, under high stress a vast majority of the time, and at the beck and call of the company. your personal life will suck. Its funny how colleagues joke around about "having no life" as a good thing.
    - Company and management dont give a rats behind about you. They only care about one thing - shipping your product on time. What it takes to get there is meaningless and it is shown in their paltry raises (about 1% for doing a good job)
    - Performance review is constructed to keep your salary and # of RSUs as low as possible - at least theyre not lying and adhering to the company core value of FRUGALITY.
    - Kiss each Feb to Sept good bye. Your personal life will slowly erode from under your feet because youre always working (due to constant changes in project direction) or always going to china.
    - RSU stocks are a joke because they are designed such that you will never get them. Why? because no one can ever last there long enough to receive them. You get 80% in years 3-4. Trust me it , 1 or 2 years is a long time there. You will see.
    - signing bonus is the sirens song to lure you in. You have to pay all or some of the bonus back if you leave before year 2. Another ploy to keep base salary as low as possible.
    - All "innovative" products are all apple copies or wanna be's
    - No down time to recoup or rest. Just when one project ends another one starts (and its just as stressful)
    - The only one getting a piece of the pie are directors, executives, and J.Bezos. If youre not one of them, you are throwing away several years of your life.
    - This company will not hesitate to fire you. That way they dont need to give you a package. Frugality in action.
    - No HR department. Does that give you any clue as to the culture?

Amazon Lab126 Photos