Amazon Lab126 Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014

Jeff Bezos

Pros
  • The people are the best I've worked with and we've seen great products result from our combined efforts (in 5 reviews)

• Great people on my team, some of the guys in Engineering are top notch (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, most people are married to their jobs and neglect their families (in 12 reviews)

• Company culture is not diversified, Executive and Upper Management is predominantly male (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with a solid future!

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team and a tech savy manager who is understanding and pragmatic.
    We work on the latest tech and customer challenging issues.There are no boundaries to learning out here.
    The folks you would interact with are the best in this industry.This company has a flat hierarchy so everyone including the management is extremely technology oriented and hands on.

Prior to joining,I read a lot of reviews on this site which indicated that this place would be a slaveshop and that this was not a family friendly company.

I would like to reiterate this is NOT TRUE!!! You would put in around the same hours as you would
    in any other bay area company.

Cons

Health benefits are average(definitely needs improvement) and the cafe really needs significant improvement.

Provide more visibility in the company's future roadmap.

Great company!

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a really great experience here.
    Very nice people, and although people are working hard, there's a sense of building something cool, and also great mentorship. Management is very professional.

Cons

It's a big company. And if you want to run fast and change the world - it's not the right place for you.

Build small entrepreneurial teams, and let them run forward with great new ideas.

Feels like a softer version of a startup. If you are young and wish to learn and grow, you will love the place.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The systems engineering group has a lot of diverse experience. As an intern or fresh graduate, you will be able to soak in the approaches and knowledge while working on your project. The meetings and teams are well-structured, so that you get exposure to your "clients" within the company, and only few people will be required to attend those, so that they are well involved. The team is supportive and you won't feel much pressure for the deadlines. While the environment is not posh, it is enough to be productive, and there is a strong culture about sports and healthy habits.

Cons

The tasks will be open and not trivial. Although you don't need to work over hours much, the crunch time is not unusual. If at the interview you say you don't care much about what task you will be given, this is what you will get. You'll have to stand your ground on various issues. There are no massage cabinets in the office, and no beanbags ;)

Don't know what the hell they're doing

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Thought it would be exciting to be a part of history in the making - benefits are good. I found the pay to be better but some co-workers say they pay low. Work like balance is good because I'm bored.

Cons

Leadership is not leading. People are in it for themselves. There is NO communication from the top down when making Org changes. Must be Bezo's way of pushing along natural attrition. I can't wait to get out of here.

Great. Get to work on top notch technology. Ability to solve cool tech problems that be good for the career,

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with some of the smart folks in tech market.
    work on challenging problems
    reasonably sane work hours

Cons

Frugality
    No benefits compared to other silicon valley companies.

Less re-org and focus on employees to like customers.

Strangest Place I've Ever Worked

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some very smart and capable people working here and the new products can be fun to work on.

Cons

Every week a large amount of time is spent running from fire to fire. Releases are not managed well, dates mean nothing and there is a lot of glossing over of issues in order to make an appearance.

Too much emphasis is put on networking within the company and not enough on the quality of work. If you can get 25 people to give generic feedback on your review and not seven people with honest, quality feedback, you're more likely to get a raise. Raises are small - usually 1% or in the form of RSUs which can't be collected for two years.

Hiring process purely depends on the manager of the group - Indian managers surround themselves with Indian employees, often brought in from India and on H1B. Asian managers do the same but not to such an extreme.

There are a lot of politics - especially when it comes to management and the relationships between the groups in India, Seattle and California. India does what they want, when they want and usually cuts communication when questioned. Seattle only wants to hear the good, not the truth and is slowly moving projects to either Seattle or India.

Definitely the strangest place I've ever worked - the large number of people leaving is pretty concerning.

Do some serious house cleaning and hire people who are honest and not into playing office politics.

Lab126 or Lab-Inhumane. What an unprofessional sweatshop with no innovation in product development.

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tried to look for something positive for this section, but found nothing. Wait, the only good thing was to have an opportunity to earn bread and butter to make ends meet for a while. The bread earning experience also caused me subsequent heart problems due to the stress caused by managements.

Cons

A very inhumane company. The managers in Lab126 also came from other companies around the valley. They will bad mouth about you during reference check if you are unfortunate enough to apply for another company whose hiring manager knows your current manager at Lab126. You will find out quickly after making through the phone screen and moving to the in-person interview stage at the new company, which never happens because of apparent reasons. If Lab126 management hates you, you may as well go and jump off the Golden Gate bridge because your career is pretty much ruined. The Human Resources department at Lab126 is not there to ensure a harmonious working environment where everybody plays by the rules. They are there to protect the managers only. So, try to work there and you'll see what I mean.

Look at Alibaba. It's only the matter of time before Amazon will pull the plug on you.

Great place to wrok

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of new technologies, great management team

Cons

Very Frugal, could provide better comp

ESPP

Could be the best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Operations in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open, transparent work environment.
    Fast pace, never a dull moment.
    Consumer electronic products are very cool.
    Great people on my team, some of the guys in Engineering are top notch.
    Operations has a big say in decisions, not just Engineering; company has a more balanced approach.
    Amazon has a culture where it feels "safe" to try new things.
    At a certain leadership level in the company, everybody spends a day at customer service call center and 3 days at an Amazon fulfillment center; it reinforces the company wide obsession with customers and with the origin of the company selling books on the internet out of Jeff Bezos' garage.
    Company is growing fast and opportunities for leadership abound.
    The hiring process is very well organized and structured. It seems to work well based on the quality of people here.
    On the other hand, Lab126 doesn't have a whole lot of business processes, so you have a certain degree of freedom in how you choose to go about your work.

Cons

Company is a bit too frugal in some areas; my pet peeve is reimbursement for my China phone pre-pay SIM card; they will NOT reimburse for this even though it's practically a necessity to have your own Chinese phone number when you are there 90 days a year so people can get hold of you.
    Even though we have frequent travel to China, Amazon pays for Economy tickets only.
    I like to travel, but at certain points in the year, it could be 40% depending on you you measure it. Average per year for me is 25%. Not for everyone.
    Long hours. Company has flexibility, but you also have to be flexible, especially with travel to China since we do our manufacturing over there.

Keep the work place open and transparent. Do not allow people to have "hidden agendas", in contrast to many other place I've worked in the past.
    Reconsider the travel policy. If someone is traveling to Asia more than 2-3 times/year put them in Business class.
    Calling a China pre-pay SIM card expense "International Roaming" and not reimbursing is ridiculous. We are talking about $32 USD for a two-week trip to China. If it was $1000 USD, I would understand, but let's be reasonable.

Glad I am an ex-employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting compensation package.

Cons

There is little chance of advancement and almost now possibility of getting a raise after you join the company. Management by anger and intimidation is the rule. They like to keep you in a constant state of stress. They promise you lots when you're hired but almost none is ever delivered. Teams are reorged almost constantly and within a few months you'll be doing a very different job from what you were hired for.

not really worth the effort as they don't listen to the staff they have.

Amazon Lab126 Photos

Hardware Engineer in our Cupertino Office
Packaging Engineers
Nerf gun fun in the office
Quality Assurance Engineers Melissa and Jammie in our Sunnyvale office