Amazon Lab126 Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014

Jeff Bezos

Pros
  • The people are the best I've worked with and we've seen great products result from our combined efforts (in 5 reviews)

• Great people on my team, some of the guys in Engineering are top notch (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, most people are married to their jobs and neglect their families (in 12 reviews)

• Company culture is not diversified, Executive and Upper Management is predominantly male (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with a solid future!

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team and a tech savy manager who is understanding and pragmatic.
    We work on the latest tech and customer challenging issues.There are no boundaries to learning out here.
    The folks you would interact with are the best in this industry.This company has a flat hierarchy so everyone including the management is extremely technology oriented and hands on.

Prior to joining,I read a lot of reviews on this site which indicated that this place would be a slaveshop and that this was not a family friendly company.

I would like to reiterate this is NOT TRUE!!! You would put in around the same hours as you would
    in any other bay area company.

Cons

Health benefits are average(definitely needs improvement) and the cafe really needs significant improvement.

Provide more visibility in the company's future roadmap.

Great company!

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer

I worked at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a really great experience here.
    Very nice people, and although people are working hard, there's a sense of building something cool, and also great mentorship. Management is very professional.

Cons

It's a big company. And if you want to run fast and change the world - it's not the right place for you.

Build small entrepreneurial teams, and let them run forward with great new ideas.

Could be the best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Operations in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open, transparent work environment.
    Fast pace, never a dull moment.
    Consumer electronic products are very cool.
    Great people on my team, some of the guys in Engineering are top notch.
    Operations has a big say in decisions, not just Engineering; company has a more balanced approach.
    Amazon has a culture where it feels "safe" to try new things.
    At a certain leadership level in the company, everybody spends a day at customer service call center and 3 days at an Amazon fulfillment center; it reinforces the company wide obsession with customers and with the origin of the company selling books on the internet out of Jeff Bezos' garage.
    Company is growing fast and opportunities for leadership abound.
    The hiring process is very well organized and structured. It seems to work well based on the quality of people here.
    On the other hand, Lab126 doesn't have a whole lot of business processes, so you have a certain degree of freedom in how you choose to go about your work.

Cons

Company is a bit too frugal in some areas; my pet peeve is reimbursement for my China phone pre-pay SIM card; they will NOT reimburse for this even though it's practically a necessity to have your own Chinese phone number when you are there 90 days a year so people can get hold of you.
    Even though we have frequent travel to China, Amazon pays for Economy tickets only.
    I like to travel, but at certain points in the year, it could be 40% depending on you you measure it. Average per year for me is 25%. Not for everyone.
    Long hours. Company has flexibility, but you also have to be flexible, especially with travel to China since we do our manufacturing over there.

Keep the work place open and transparent. Do not allow people to have "hidden agendas", in contrast to many other place I've worked in the past.
    Reconsider the travel policy. If someone is traveling to Asia more than 2-3 times/year put them in Business class.
    Calling a China pre-pay SIM card expense "International Roaming" and not reimbursing is ridiculous. We are talking about $32 USD for a two-week trip to China. If it was $1000 USD, I would understand, but let's be reasonable.

Intern Engineer, Great job

I have been working at Amazon Lab126

Pros

Fantastic Pay, fun people, travel, real work

Cons

Convoluted roles because it is a relatively new company. Basically a lot of people arguing whether or not a certain task is there job or someone elses.

Incredible experience

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer Intern in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer Intern in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company atmosphere is unparalleled. The pay is amazing and the company really helps the individual to grow and progress.

Cons

The company is not looking for entry level positions at this point in time.

Hire some entry level positions and really instill the company idea in them so that they can one day help lead it.

Lab126 - Great Managers, Purposeful Work, Awesome Environment

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The thing that obviously stands out the most was that, throughout the summer, I was involved in a project of my own which was actually quite important to my team. And more than that, directors and engineering from other departments expressed their eagerness and excitement for seeing my results when the project was complete. As an intern, this was an unexpected and exhilarating experience.

The office culture was very much to my liking: Never a need to "clock in or out", never a manager looking over my shoulder, and never a scenario where the full timers looked down on us. In fact, they were often quite jealous of our sweet swag. On the contrary to the above, I had a great mentor who introduced me to the work I carried out, and was very available to help guide the project. My manager was straight forward, but supportive and encouraging of the efforts I put in.

The intern culture is also really good. With the interns in my building, 6-10 of us met every day to catch lunch together, and we got together most weekends to do whatever in Mountain View or go bowling in Cupertino. This was a huge plus, and I'll likely stay in touch with a lot of them for hopefully years to come.

The compensation at Lab is also very, very good - and they organized very neat intern activities throughout the summer, including a Giants game, "Nerd-olympics", and a few others that I won't disclose since I think these are some of their own gems.

In all, a very cool experience, and I've been hiring back for the following summer now, at increased pay.

Cons

The building I worked in in 2013 was quite old, but that has been remedied now since the entire company s moving into a shiny new high-rise tower in the Moffett Towers. So, that'll be neat.

One downside to my job was that I spent more time than ever before in front of a computer screen. This was exhausting at first, and wouldn't be how I'd want to spend my career (I'm not a programer, clearly). However, this also gave me an opportunity to gain a great deal of facility with a series of different software programs.

There are waves of crunches within the company, and in those spans you'll be pushed hard and the help will be slightly less available.

Also - not that this is associated with Lab126 - but be prepared that 1/3 of your salary goes to taxes. Yeah, it's never been as apparent as when you're actually making money, and ten that money gets taken away by the gov't... I get it now.

I can't say much more that wasn't great about it. The housing was good, the area is pretty sweet. Yeah, not many downsides. Also, there's room to grow into the company - another big plus.

Make sure to show your interns the paths that they can take to get to the jobs they ultimately want to have. Whether that's senior programming engineer, or management, or whatever - I would love to have had a better knowledge, from the inside, of what it will take to reach the top.

Also, not all managers were as solid as mine, but let me say: I worked harder, cared more, and contributed a few of my weekends to my project because I felt that my project was values, and that I as an intern was part of my team. My manager - M.S. - did this very well, and if//when I become a manager, these elements and experiences will be part of how I interact with my own staff.

Amazing

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, Bleeding edge tech

Cons

Work life balance leaves a lot to be desired for people with young kids.

Stay Hungry but stay sane

great company for an engineer

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time

Pros

- an opportunity to define the cutting-edge of technology
    - small teams, complete ownership of large parts of a project
    - solid accountability at all levels
    - the best part - helpful and kind people

Cons

I wish there was free food - a la Google or Facebook.
    Also, if the shuttle service could extend to people in an around the Bay Area/Peninsula (not just San Franciso and Morgan Hill) it would resolve most of the parking woes at the Cupertino offices.

Please give Lab126 merchandise to your employees (at least sometimes), so that they can wear it with pride

Internship in Sunnyvale

Current Employee - Product Manager Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- very exciting project
    - very caring manager that did not only look after me because she/he wanted me to finish the project but he/she also wanted me to get to know different departments/people so I get a better understanding of how Amazon works.
    - very helpful and friendly employees
    - a big extra program to choose from (not only intern program(which is very good) but also companywide trainings
    - good location, gym and pool provided

Cons

- not the biggest startup atmosphere any more

Fantastic

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work atmosphere, challenging projects.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Amazon Lab126 Photos

Hardware Engineer in our Cupertino Office
Packaging Engineers
Nerf gun fun in the office
Quality Assurance Engineers Melissa and Jammie in our Sunnyvale office