Amazon.com Reviews

• Arizona
Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,960 Ratings

Top rated customer service comes with few rewards, hard work, long hours, and horrible pay.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home, referral bonuses, quick turnaround from applying for a job to being hired. Some flexibility in choosing the best course of action to provide adequate customer service. Adequate benefits.

Cons

Long hours with mandatory overtime. Inadequate performance metrics where positive customer escalations have no bearing. Seasonal promotions end in after season demotions in job title and salary. Poor communication between management and their virtual call center agents. No shadowing between training and production. Customer support software has many bugs that affect agents performance with little hope for improvement. If the Fair Minimum Wage Act passes, Amazon will be in a world of hurt.

Stop the HMD survey, it is subjective, luck of the draw and leaves your best customer service agents looking for a company that can appreciate their skills in handling difficult customer scenarios. Provide an easy way for virtual call center agents to "talk" to their managers, ask questions and get answers. Listen to employee suggestions and give employees time to make suggestions.

2. Discouraging, to say the least.

Current Employee - Outbound Order Picker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Outbound Order Picker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of great exercise, all the time.

Cons

Management is quick to promise and slow to deliver.

Don't make promises you have no intention of keeping. That right is reserved to politicians.

3. Enjoy working with a lot of people

Current Employee - Amazon Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Different challenges everyday. Once you've gained enough knowledge and respect, the process becomes a lot easier and moving up is obviously easier as well.

Cons

Dog Eat Dog World. Each level is stack ranked against everyone else, therefore be prepared for the back-stabbing to occur. HR is like the principles office for associates, they will take the associates word over yours' more often than not. Not very structured in processes, a lot of grey area.

Acknowledge successes when they occur. We take things for granted and expect success to just happen.

5. Great experience! Very physically rewarding, kept me on my toes!

Former Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

I enjoyed working in a fast paced, loud, gigantic space. I enjoyed working in groups as a team. I enjoyed how we had team meeting every morning to help motivate and encourage us to reach our goals.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working for Amazon was mandatory overtime. The job can be very physically demanding but you do get used to it and you will get in shape.

I have no advice for management. I felt that we had a great management team.

6. Working for Amazon.com

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Amazon is a great place and company to work for as long as you work under certain AREA MANAGERS. Great pay but you do have to work for it because again it's not an easy job and anyone can tell you that. We get a monthly bonus(vcp) which is based off attendance and performance. We get a discount at 10% which is better than nothing. They offer a career program were they will pay for a certification or degree up to $3,000 for 2 years which again is better than nothing. I love working for Amazon overall because the benefits, pay and monthly vcp we receive.

Cons

The worst thing about working here is there's too much favoritism in the company. the dust control is really horrible in the warehouses and the break times aren't enough to even get to break sit down and back to work. If we are 1 second late we're penalized and maybe even written up. There is very slim chances for advancement within the company unless you have degree even though most of the employees have a lot of knowledge of the job. They sometimes have mandatory overtime in which we can not decline on or we can be disciplined or penalized as well.

Good for a few years

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great company to get experience in a fast paced operational environment. Quickly growing company with tons of opportunities for getting promoted.

Cons

Horrible work life balance during the Holidays. Expect to work atleast 55-60 hours through November and December. Very political company with stack ranking type of review. Difficult to find mentors with your best interest in mind. You can get lost in the company if you are not a manager favorite. Depending what building you go to, it can be a nightmare to manage the associates. Most are miserable working for the company and take it out on their manager. Managers are constantly getting in trouble for associates complaining about them, you have to watch your every move. Area Managers do not get offices or any place to put their stuff. They are forced to stand at desks on the operational floor for 12 hours a day. Not a company that you stay with for very long because they burn out their managers so quickly.

8. Tier I associate

Former Employee - Tier I Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Tier I Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative business model, exciting and enthusiastic managers. Opportunity for promotion (for the right people). Strong returns for 401k investment, stock sharing program

Cons

Long hours of physically demanding work. Managers always demanding more production. FC where I worked specific details: Production over safety, quality allowed to suffer for the sake of production. Tier III associates set-up for failure, leading to write-ups and dismissal. Department-to-department transfers for Tier I and Tier III associates extremely rare.

You know who your all-stars are. Promote them instead of mediocre associates. Take a lesson in ethics, and apply what you learn.

9. Unrealistic Pick Rates expected

Former Employee - Picker in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Picker in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Very nice people and management. Very nice facilities offered for the employees. Big break room loaded with TV's and microwaves and fridges to store your lunch.

Cons

You are on your feet for 10 hours. Your breaks include the time it takes to walk to the break room and get through security. By the time you get there your break is over.

Reduce the pick rates and expectations for new employees. The warehouse is huge and it takes time to find your way around there.

Amazon's Failure Staffing Solutions

Current Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The actual employees at Amazon are AWESOME, and that's where the pros stop.

Cons

Amazon uses Ingerity Staffing Solutions to hire it's employees, unfortunately it's a rude company riddled with lies and confusion. They work you like a mule, only to belittle you in front of a floor full of other employees. They hire over 1000 employees at once and dangle carrots that promise full time employment in front of you to get you to work hard, and the. Pull the rug out from under you just as the holiday season ends. Integrity is also involved with many lawsuit, even people from last years seasonal employment are back in hopes of full time employment, most are in their third attempt, however those people were still given 11.00 instead of 11.75 that was promised. Seems really suspicious that they wouldn't give their returning employees the full amount since they already know the job.

Hire your own employees and be honest before someone calls the EOE...

What I see while working at Amazon,com

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Their are many job opportunities within Amazon.com and areas for development in a fast paced highly innovative environment.. Getting it can be difficult.

Cons

Can be difficult to move up without moving out of state. If you work there while going to school, it can be difficult to move into management. They Don't like to promote from within.

More communication and development is needed from management.Most of the management is green from college and do not know how to develop associates.