Amazon.com Reviews

Reset
3.3
Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Pros
  • You will learn a lot that will help with the rest of your career (in 118 reviews)

• The company is full of very smart people (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best at work-life balance (in 636 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance (in 145 reviews)

1. IT support Technician

Current Employee - IT Tech Support in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - IT Tech Support in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment where the majority of the associates are happy with their jobs and enjoy the work they do.

Cons

In-house promotions are not very common due to few positions and their tendency to hire fresh college graduates.

Advice to Management

Look to more of the in-house associates for promotion. There are many people that work in the various FCs that are dedicated to their communities. The majority of the managers, at my FC at least, are hired straight out of college from different states and transfer away after a few months. This does not build trust in the workforce and makes the associates bitter at their inexperienced managers.

Amazon/Integrity Staffing Solutions

Former Employee - Packing Operator, Shipping in Charleston, TN
    Former Employee - Packing Operator, Shipping in Charleston, TN

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The starting pay rate was excellent and they approved overtime very frequently. There were numerous entry-level positions available, which allowed new hires to select from different areas of the warehouse. In addition, Amazon offered paid training and orientations alongside those hired through the outside firm were paid weekly instead of other variations. If you worked in outbound shipping and packaged customer's orders then every two hours employees would rotate with co-workers, which permitted individuals to do something else altogether.

Cons

From my experience, first, second, and third shifts were grouped together in two blocks as first/second or second/third instead of offering traditional hours. Furthermore, if someone wanted second shift hours, those being interviewed would select the night option instead of day since this workday was from 6:30 PM to 3:00 AM, but during mandatory overtime, it could be extended to 4-6 AM. However, receiving hours was not a problem, but could easily throw off anyone's regular sleeping schedule. In other words, this reviewer was more familiar with 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM or 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM and/or 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM or 4:00 PM to 12:00 AM.

Advice to Management

A few full-time temporary/seasonal employees acted as if they were a manager or supervisor because they had been there a month or two longer and this could easily confuse new staff members hired through an employment agency. In my opinion, watch out for existing crew who are entry-level doing this to other personnel. Simply put, distinction should easily be made between front-line workers and management. Additionally, the actions of a few were not helping new associates and addressing the establishment's hierarchy would be appreciated. Likewise, the author of this review was a team-player and frequently went above-and-beyond to help others during their shift so no misunderstanding should be made in the following comments overall.

3. Picker

Current Employee - Transporter in Cleveland, TN
    Current Employee - Transporter in Cleveland, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great for a family.

Cons

Very faced pace and crowded at times.

Advice to Management

Work hard

5. picker in warehouse

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kept busy. Not a very social position. Actively accomplishing goals. Competition with yourself and others to complete the tasks given were fun to look forward to. They gave overtime. Had ten hour shifts. Really got into shape.

Cons

There wasn't anything working at Amazon that was a con, except some of the other employees were a bit too... Well let's just say they had boundary issues.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be .... More break time treats. Yes, when I was there I liked when during breaks we would get candy bars, nuts, sometimes chocolate. That is all. Thank you for this opportunity.

Good place to work for short term period!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

good place yo work temporarily while you`re in school, just graduating or going back to school. Also if you have no good work experience you will definitely get it here, learning various jobs and putting them to use ten hours a day. Also you have to work honestly hard in the first couple of months to be converted to a blue badge. Once you`re a blue badge they start you off with 40 hours PTO, 60 hours UPT, 20-30 vacation . Like I said hard work pays off you also get stock in the company one hired on and after your first year they pay 95% of you to go to school. Pretty cool huh!!!!!

Cons

managers are constantly changing just like the work and it takes a long time for them to be replaced with someone that qualifies........ That sucks cause everybody is not a leader

Advice to Management

learn how to predict accurately when it comes to having enough labor to get the job done!!!

7. Order Picker

Former Employee - Order Picker in Charleston, TN
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Charleston, TN

I worked at Amazon.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting pay and great hours.

Cons

No likeliness of full time employment status.

Advice to Management

Keep the individuals that work and wanna work and let the slackers go. If there were days ppl could volunteer to go home they always sent the same ones home.

Inbound dock/ warehouse associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ringgold, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ringgold, GA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, great people to work with, fast paced, rewarding, fun sometimes lots of time off. Great set schedule

Cons

Overlooked, not much opportunity to move up, top out pay, dollar is the bottom line, at times overwhelmingly ignorant people.

Advice to Management

Start caring about us a little more, stop short handing us, appreciate us, understand where we are coming from and help us more.

9. Lazy need not apply...

Current Employee - Stow in Dunlap, TN
    Current Employee - Stow in Dunlap, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

4 day work week, benefits aren't bad.

Cons

Very physical job, if you can't bring it every single day, this job is not for you.

Advice to Management

Take care of those of us who meet or exceed your high expectations every single day, without fail. Turnover is a huge issue, with an easy solution...if you want to retain the best employees, simply recognize and reward them, and pay them what their worth, instead of only focusing on those employees who can't handle the job. The more you focus on the ones who keep you at the top, the less time you'll spend wasted on turnover. A lot of talented, hard working, and very dedicated people come in and out those doors daily, giving you all they've got for 10 hours...so retaining the right ones should be your top priority.

it'll do for now

Current Employee - Picker in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Picker in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

pay 95% of approved associates degrees

Cons

fast paced walking for approx 80 miles/wk

Advice to Management

fix pick paths

11. A good place to work?

Current Employee - Cha1 Tier III Non-inventory Procurement in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Cha1 Tier III Non-inventory Procurement in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in every process in the building. Some jobs you walk a lot and some you're standing in spot .But overall it is a decide place to work.

Cons

Communication of shifts changes and overtime needs to improve. The "leadership " turn over is nuts! Pay was OK when the building opened, but now the local job market is 20 times better.

Advice to Management

A pay scale increase for all Associates from Tier I to Tier III's. If not I fear this building is going to fail.

Showing 65 of 5,559 reviews