Amazon.com

3.3 3,265 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,279 ratings)

Pros
  • You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career(in 98 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 302 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 535 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 123 reviews)

3,265 Employee Reviews

Good experience with many opportunities to excel

Senior Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Proswork culture, senior management, opportunity

Consbenefits, compensation tied heavily to stock performance

Good Learning Experience, But can be hectic

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros- Great compensation
    - Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development
    - looks good on resume

Cons- Depending on the team, work-life balance can be virtually non-existent. This is highly dependent on the manager
    - No perks such as free food, drinks, etc in majority of Amazon (In the palo alto office, we do get free snacks and drinks)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so dam frugal, improve the perks to match other tech giants.

Challenging, but worth it

ProsInteresting work, great people, lots of autonomy and flexibility

ConsHigh performance bar, little to no support, work life balance can be a challenge

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work that pays off

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Hebron, KY

Proshours, pay, time off, competitive benefits package, free stock

ConsManagement doesn't communicate, morale runs low, improper use of time, facilities sometimes poorly managed

Advice to Senior Managementspeak to your lower level employees about the processes that are being implemented

Best Internship!

Operations Leadership Intern (Current Employee)

ProsI learned a lot during my time there. They were very focused on the development of managers and the associates. I had great support from senior staff and they were always willing to help me when I needed it. I was challenged every day and was given opportunities to work on projects with other departments. Was treated as a manager not an intern. I worked the same hours as my manager and never worked over 55 hours a week (non peak weeks). Once you are in the company there are a thousand opportunities to either change location at will or change positions all together.

ConsWork life balance can be hard but is manageable.

Amazing experience with brilliant people, but upward mobility is challenging due to many layers of middle management.

Account Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIt's good to be the king. AWS is the market leader, but engineering doesn't act like it. Extremely innovative and fast paced. If you appreciate the technology it never gets boring to sell it. The people are amazing, and because the hiring process is so daunting odds are most of your peers are solid contributors. Great opportunity to make money if you are hungry and resourceful.

ConsThere are many layers of middle management that came from far less innovative companies and it shows in the increasing amounts of bureaucracy and politics. The hiring process is arduous and sometimes freezes out good candidates. Upward mobility is really hard, especially with many layers of middle management almost all of which were hired externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of management seems to focus on what makes them look good as opposed to what makes their team look good (which has the same result).

Customers First at the Expense of Employees

Instock Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSmart Coworkers
    At Amazon you’re going to work with some really bright individuals. Everyone I work with is very intelligent and very hard working. That’s evident by the clock ticking down to 6:00 and seeing all your coworkers typing still at their door desks.

Interesting Work
    The work you do at Amazon is already quite fun. On the retail side it’s like running your own business. There’s so much to do and you’re never bored with the work. It’s neat to see how everything you do impacts your business and improves it.

Casual Work Environment
    It's also quite nice that you can go to work in jeans and a t-shirt. Bringing your dog to work is great also, but really it's just a wait to keep you there longer.

ConsBefore I go into the cons I’m going to say that this is based upon my personal experience during my 3 positions on the retail side of the company.

No Work Life Balance
    60 hour work weeks are normal. Meetings at 5:00 happen and people regularly work past 7:00. It feels like I go to work, get home, work some more, go to sleep, and repeat. On the weekends I get a bit of a break, but I still am required to work as I have certain reports and other tasks that have not yet been automated to complete. Amazon work kills all hope I have of an outside life.

Always on call
    Even being on vacation doesn’t matter as you’ll receive high priority emails management wants answered right away. Holidays are no exceptions. I was called once at 6:00 AM on a holiday because of a promotion running at a competitor I had to match. I finished all tasks associated with the promotion at about 8:00 PM. I didn’t have a holiday as a result, but customers were able to get a good deal on the retail products I was in charge of.

Single People Preferred
    Do not expect to see your kids or significant other regularly. If you mention you have to leave early, like 5:00 (which is a normal 8 to 5 day) to pick up your kids or go to a dinner date, expect to be mocked by your boss after you’re gone. I’m regularly late now to almost all after work events because of work that is given and required to be completed after 5:00.

Too Much Work
    This is great as you’re never bored, but it also means you’ll constantly be working. Lunch normally doesn’t happen as you’re in a meeting during that time, completing something for later deadline, or rushing for a fire drill. It’s basically survival of the fittest here. You will need to automate your tasks or risk drowning in a pile of endless work. There are a lot of improvements needed to be made at Amazon and management wants them done now.

High Bars
    Once you’ve automated your work and reached your goals, you’ll be asked to surpass that the next year. Eventually your goals will become impossible to achieve. I’ve mentioned this to management and their answers are normally along the lines of “I’m not sure how you’ll be able to improve, but you need to.”

Small Raises
    I’ve been lucky that I’ve achieved high ratings on my reviews and so my raises have been just above inflation. Even so, they’re laughable. Raises occur only on your base pay and your base pay is relatively a small portion of your compensation.

Golden-handcuffs
    Amazon entices you with a bonus your first two years and stock every year afterwards. If you leave the company before the end of the year in which you received a bonus you’ll have to pay it back. If you leave during one of the years in which your stock vest it’s like you worked for nothing. My stock is almost equal to my base pay for example. This keeps you working for the company.

Low Base Pay
    Living off your base pay is also terrible as the cost of living here in Seattle is rising. You’re income on paper will look like you make a decent amount of money, but only because of your stock/bonuses. If you choose not to cash out of it when it vests you’ll be living by meager means as most of your pay will go to rent and other expenses. Having a low base pay also puts you in a different bracket for loans as they don’t consider your grants and bonuses reliable income.

Frugality
    Only the bus pass is free. Parking is not and parking is expensive. Amazon will reimburse up $160 worth of parking, but at over $25.00 a day it doesn’t go very far. If you can get monthly parking you’ll pay less, but there’s a long wait list. On the bright side most people leave after 2 years so you may get a spot if you stay long enough. There are also no employee perks that I’m aware of, except free coffee and tea in the kitchen.

Performance Improvement Plans
    PIP is very real at Amazon. A certain number of people in your department every year will be put on it. Essentially the weakest link will be eliminated. If you don’t perform better than someone else you’ll be let go. Politics are very real and active as well. Consider it similar to Game of Thrones. Make sure someone owes you a favor and preferably that’s someone at a higher level.

Promotions
    Lateral moves are common, promotions are not. Most people rotate after 1-1/2 years. Getting promoted requires laterally moving to a high job level. Once in that level you will need to perform the job better than coworkers doing the same job at the level you’re trying to get promoted to. This accounts to doing a much harder job with more work at a lower wage than everyone else until you’ve proven yourself. You’re also competing with other coworkers at your level and job for the promotion. This works great for the company, but makes you feel like you’re way underpaid for the job you’re doing.

Turnover
    I’m not sure the exact numbers as Amazon is constantly hiring new people, but it seems high. I’ve seen lots of people leave Amazon that I’ve worked with. The average stay seems to be about 2 years. After that people leave for better opportunities. Consider this place a stepping stone to the next job. Also expect your workload to increase each time someone leaves until they fill that position. You may be moving on before that happens though as Amazon has a really high bar for hiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmazon could be a great place to work. I actually enjoyed working for the company for the first 1-1/2 years. After that I realized things were not going to get better. My work days did not get shorter, only longer. I now feel like all I do is work and am starting to burn out as a result. I could probably deal with most of the other flaws, but I work to live not live to work. I’m counting down the days until my next stock grant and then I’m heading for the door.

I’m not the only one either that thinks like this. Most people will not speak the truth; even if you ask me to my face I’ll lie and say I’m not going anywhere. I’d lie because I know the politics of the place would stab me in the back if I told the truth. Working at Amazon is a job, not a career.

If the stock ever crashes you can also expect a mass exodus of workers as our base pay isn’t comparable to other offers out there.

My advice is to look at my list of cons and figure out a way to fix them. We do the same thing to improve the experience of the customer, why don’t we improve the work life of our employees? How many good people have to leave before Amazon upper management figures this out?

Very labor intensive.

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) San Bernardino, CA

ProsDecent pay, could be better.

ConsApply directly through Amazon. Do Not go through a staffing agency, it takes forever to get converted.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to delegate and stop flexing up every single shift, it is really uncool to have a scheduled shift where you may have to work an hour more or less everyday. Most sane people like to go home when their shift is scheduled to end.

Never a boring day

Picker (Former Employee) Charleston, TN

ProsThe days go by fast and never boring. The pay is great and the people are very nice. They care about their people and will help you succeed in everything you do.

ConsWay to many people in one place. You loose track of time and miss your break time, they need clocks or send a message to everyone on the scanner when it's time for breaks.

Good place to work.

Deal Quality Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Amenities, buildings, location
    - Pay, the people you work with

ConsDepends on the department
    Long Hours
    Working all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementValue work/life balance a little more

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!