Amazon.com

3.3 3,257 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,275 ratings)

Pros
  • You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career(in 98 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 302 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 535 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 123 reviews)

3,257 Employee Reviews

we all don't work in Seattle

Area Manager (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

Prossalary is much higher then in most companies

ConsWork life balance
    expectations are very high
    lots of politics if you want to move up

Advice to Senior Managementpractice what you preach

Amazon is the future

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsProduct breadth, opportunity to develop and learn is huge. You can work in whatever you are interested in. There is a great website. Then there are high performance/scale services which are core part of business. Then there is AWS, hardware, kindle and the list goes on.
    It's generally easy to switch teams and moving to other roles is encouraged.
    Mostly smart people around.
    Compensation is competitive and great potential of stock is a silver-lining on the top of that.
    Just loving the company and work.

ConsSometimes work could be hectic but that's ok. Some managers are political & bad but many are good. Again few teams do not do great work but just operations or maintenance so be choosy.
    Don't expect great facilities as it's very frugal company but essential benefits are comparable to other good companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementJeff Bezos is a true visionary & genius. One thing that differentiates him is he is constantly watchful. He is making the company innovate. Customers are loving it and most products are generally more successful then other companies.

Sales

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsNice environment but insensitive people

ConsPoor management and lack of responsibility permeates the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring it up the game

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have enjoyed my time with Amazon.

Facilities Area Manager (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsWorking with leaders from all over the world.

ConsExpectations are very high, and the work life balance can get out of hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold all managers accountable for their work practices. Not just the low level area managers.

I love this company!

Process Assistant (Current Employee) Plainfield, IN

ProsPay, Company values, benefits, associates get a lot of time off, customer centricity

ConsDifficult to move up, Tough work-life balance, older warehouses work with equipment that has a tendency to fail and fixed with "band-aids."

Advice to Senior ManagementStart looking to hire from within more than hiring college students without leadership experience.

Great place to work

Cloud Support Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSo many pros, I'll do this bullet point style so this doesn't get too long:
    - Ability to work from home
    - Flexible schedules, ability to work 4 10 hour shifts and that means a lot of time off (3 days off every week is awesome!)
    - Great work life balance (I know a lot of people say Amazon doesn't have this, however I think this is highly dependent on what team you work in and the manager you have, i'm fortunate enough to have both a great team and manager)
    - Pretty good compensation (amazon believes in total compensation, I will go into further details in cons)
    - Learn a ton on the job and have access to the latest and greatest in Cloud Computing
    - Occasional free food including free breakfast cereals most of the month
    - Lots of very smart people to learn from and collaborate with
    - Opportunity to advance, after working one year you are free to apply for any job in the company...you are really only limited by your own ambition and hard work at Amazon.
    - Helping fix customer problems makes me happy, but I might be weird
    - You are always empowered to fight for and help the customer, which makes it easy to do your job

Cons- "Frugality" can sometimes go too far, employee perks don't match up with the Googles and Facebooks of the world. This is across the board. They are decent with perks, but not great.
    - Total compensation means that you will always be paid in both stock and salary, and while its nice to own stock in a good company, it can also be used against you because the RSUs take 2 years to vest, and you can run into situations where because you were previously given a vest, you will not get another one even though it might be warranted (raise, promotion, etc). the continual 2 year vests can also seem like golden handcuffs.
    - Working in Premium Support at times can feel like a call center; you have set times when you need to be available for phones and chats and that can sometimes be aggravating.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways make sure to hire and staff a SURPLUS of support engineers to be available to handle all the calls/chats/email cases. It is crucial to continually hire and develop the best candidates in order to stay ahead of customer demand and ensure a positive and well functioning org. With how fast AWS is growing (and specifically support), Less is definitely not More in this situation.

Great company to work for - everyone is super friendly.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Cork (Ireland)

ProsReally good training provided. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Regular work nights out and themed days. Team Leaders are really helpful and friendly, and the support system for new staff is great.

ConsThe pay isn't great for entry-level jobs, and the hours can be a bit nuts. There can be a lot of shift work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement are pretty good in my opinion - never had any issues.

Fast Paced warehouse environment

Area Manager (Current Employee) Patterson, CA

ProsMove anywhere in the country

ConsWork life balance.
    Small fish in a big pond

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget who pays the bills

I love working for Amazon

Software Development Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros* Bottom-up culture. As a manager, I have full autonomy to get things done and drive my short and long term vision, hire fantastic people, and take large risks

Cons* No Paternity leave
    * Healthcare benefits have much higher premiums and deductibles each year
    * Stock grant policy can limit options at times

Advice to Senior ManagementMeetings can be too serious--make it fun!

Nimble, smart and easily the best work culture

ProsGreat company. Smart people. Total independence. Agile and nimble development life cycles. great compensation

Consnone so far. not for people who can not move fast !

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!