Amazon.com

3.3 3,257 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,275 ratings)

Pros
  • You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career(in 98 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 302 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 535 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 123 reviews)

3,257 Employee Reviews

Depends on the team, and that can change fast

Senior Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou get to work with really smart people. You get to make a significant difference for millions of customers. As long as the stock keeps going up, total compensation is above market.

ConsSome areas put a lot of pressure on their employees. Some areas have horrific work/life balance. The constant raising of the bar and the push to top-grade makes it hard to maintain consistency and allow really smart people to fail and stay with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile raising the bar is good in theory, the way it is implemented forced me to get rid of good people.

Good experience with many opportunities to excel

Senior Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Proswork culture, senior management, opportunity

Consbenefits, compensation tied heavily to stock performance

Customers first, Employees fifth

Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) Petersburg, VA

ProsIf you work as a picker or stower, this job can give you a great workout. The people are mostly very friendly and approachable and it is customary to engage in a little chit-chat in order to maintain sanity. Full-time permanent employees get lots of chances to take time off including paid time and the dress code is very liberal.

ConsWhile some days can be worse than others, the work is generally extremely monotonous. Burnout is inevitable. The atmosphere on the floor and get lonely and at times depressing as it seems that no one really wants to be here. The rules tend to be hypocritical (you can actually be stopped for moving too fast) and only emphasize how dumb and devoid of intellect this job is.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like robots. Music should be played more often to ease the monotony.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

the overall experience was very good and looking forward to build my career in Amazon.

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

Prosthe best thing about amazon is flexibility to work and obviously the perks.

Consyou should be keep on learning and develop your self to compete inside company.

Advice to Senior Managementthe important things are maintain a good and highly professional environment inside company.there should be enough opportunity inside company for growth for high performance employee.

Good for initial days of career but too time demanding yet no productivity

Senior Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1. Brilliant People
    2. Get to work on projects/product with large scale impact
    3. The brand name in industry is good

Cons1. No work-life balance. People who are single and are workaholic would enjoy it in initial few years.
    2. You might end up having a boss who is far less qualified than you.
    3. Operations are on the head of developers so new product development is always hampered.
    4. Employees are more or less a disposable commodity for the company

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus on innovation driven approach instead of Dictator driven.

Great experience

Associate (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsPlenty of opportunities to obtain leadership experience Great people around. I have found my personal growth to be immensely satisfying. Senior management is very helpful in terms of mentoring.

ConsWork pressure is high. Compensation and benefits are not that great considering the amount of time spent in working. OT is rarely paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't be diplomatic.

Good Learning Experience, But can be hectic

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros- Great compensation
    - Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development
    - looks good on resume

Cons- Depending on the team, work-life balance can be virtually non-existent. This is highly dependent on the manager
    - No perks such as free food, drinks, etc in majority of Amazon (In the palo alto office, we do get free snacks and drinks)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so dam frugal, improve the perks to match other tech giants.

Employees are a commodity

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPay is competitive with other tech companies.

ConsFrugality will drive you up the wall (takes an act of congress to get a 2nd monitor, no perks to speak of). Tools are complicated, frustrating, and slow. 4-year refresh cycle on already underpowered laptops. Lots of people constantly stressed to the limit with oncall duty and unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow that you value your employees by placing value on their time. Spend some money to make employees more productive, and the investment will pay for itself quickly.

We work hard to be the best in customer service. Rewarding, but challenging.

Tier II Digital Specialist (Current Employee) Winchester, KY

ProsNice starting pay. You can earn bonuses. They do have 401 K and stock bonuses as well. I can work from home, but not everyone gets that option.

ConsVery high expectations for customer service. If you do it right you probably will be mentally tired at the end of the day. These are not necessarily cons by any means. I could not ask for a better company to work for.

Challenging, but worth it

ProsInteresting work, great people, lots of autonomy and flexibility

ConsHigh performance bar, little to no support, work life balance can be a challenge

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!