Amazon.com

3.3 3,266 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,279 ratings)

Pros
  • You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career(in 98 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 302 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 535 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 123 reviews)

3,266 Employee Reviews

Operation leadership intern

Operation (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent work, with daily different supply chain problem. People at amazon are tremendously smart

ConsIf you eant to work you must love the company because you put a lot hours more than the 40 weekly between 60 and 55

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are the best

Work hard and have fun

Translator (Former Employee) Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

ProsRelaxed atmosphere; no dress code
    Generous benefits (stock plan, private health insurance, private pension, public transport reimbursement...)
    Very easy to take holidays with almost no notice; good work-life balance
    Good management structure with weekly one-on-one manager-employee meetings
    Good opportunities to move roles within Amazon and to gain new skills in areas that were previously completely foreign to you
    Permanently growing business going from strength to strength and regular excellent innovations

ConsOverzealous security policy - it's an office, not an airport
    Over-obsession with numbers and undervaluing of soft skills - you have to account for all the time you work down to the nearest 15 minutes and justify everything you're doing with statistics
    They encourage and condone risk-taking even when it's reckless
    The religious idolization of Jeff Bezos is similar in language to the Kims in North Korea

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could be more communicative with lower-level employees.

Great place to work

Database Administrator II (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsScale and lots of opportunities for growth. Smartest people you will ever work with. Never a dull moment.

ConsWork-life balance can be tricky. If you're ready to work long hours that are adrenalin filled, this is the place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hectic yet rewarding career

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsMoney, career development, learning, growing potential, opportunities, stability, brand, recognition, very smart people around this will stretch you to limits you never thought about.

ConsWork - life balance...due to the business model it is hard to meet life and work balance. AMZN won't stop moving forward or fast, you must be willing to put 60-70 hours of work/week, if not this is not the place for you. Q1 and Q3 could be an awful experience if you are not an Amazonian at heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen more.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

working in amazon.com is amazing

Device Associate (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

Prosno dress code , good benefits , free cab , no work pressure .

Consno concerns so far for now

Great company, good culture, wonderful mates!

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

ProsYour mates are very excellent. You can learn a lot from them.
    Open. Most of the information are open to all developer inside company.

ConsYou need to maintain your code yourself which means you may need to wake up to solve problem in midnight.

Great place to work hard, learn a lot, and make your mark.

Senior Manager, Software Development (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsHigh hiring bar so you work with really smart people. Bezos and (most of) the rest of the senior management team takes the long view, so you really are empowered to do the right thing. Customer-focused culture is pretty cool.

ConsPeople work very hard and the tolerance for people who are perceived to not be contributing enough is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep taking the long view!

Excellent environment to grow and build relationships!

ProsThere are no lack of growth opportunities or learning opportunities. Change is constant to continuously improve the processes and business. The leaders are very well educated and professional.

ConsToo much change causes negative feelings for some, especially if the change was already attempted previously. There are always new managers coming and going.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love working at Amazon!

great place

Prosinnovative company, great team, fantastic career opportunities

ConsPrimarily Seattle-based but getting more decentralized

Come with a thick skin or don't make the trip!

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI met and worked with some really good leaders in this company. Overall compensation is very competitive. Promotions can come quickly if you are willing to work hard and if you are good at what you do.

ConsFulfillment is often shift work for a lot of managers. If you are not good with "change", Amazon is not the place for you. Leadership development is very much on the individual, it will not be handed to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I only left for my spouse's job opportunity and I will be back with the company if they open a facility nearby.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!