Amazon.com

Updated Mar 2, 2014

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Learned a lot, but burnout and turnover rate is high.

Area Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Amazing company, with strong innovative CEO.
2. Company is positioned for long-term growth and uses stock options to help you have ownership with the company
3. Leadership opportunities are available everywhere and you will be surrounded by talented people
4. Advancement opportunities are also based entirely on merit so office politics is very downplayed

Cons1. In operations where I was, work-life balance is not a priority. Night and weekend shifts certainly don't help and there seems to be no set formula in determining if you get the desirable or undesirable shifts
2. During peak season you will work in excess of 80+ a week which is very challenging, but the hardest part is working on holidays which will inevitable impact personal and social life
3. Training and retention is not the biggest priority currently with the company: There is almost 0 technical training for the job before you start working and many people seem to burnout due to the lack of structure

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better work-life balance to managers by having total transparency when assigning them to undesirable shits. Promote more talent from within instead of trying to fill positions as quickly as possible with external hires. Invest more resources in comprehensive training that will allow for a more reasonable learning curve.

Good job. Hard work.

Cleient Relations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsSteady job, good people & your free to make your own choices.

ConsBenefits & pay were sub-par. Worked long hours that weren't necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot really much to say but keep up the hard work.

Great place to work, unless you are a woman.

Process Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will learn a lot in a short amount of time. Amazon offers a school accommodation which allows you to drop below full time to complete your degree.

ConsWomen are treated poorly. An assertive woman gets constant criticism of being "too confrontational". An unassertive woman gets nothing. Meetings start and end with fantasy football, a topic in which I find it difficult to feign interest. Work assignments appear to mirror the progress of fantasy football. There is no work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am dissatisfied because of the disparate treatment. I will not even wait until the ink is dry on my Bachelor's before I am out of there! If you want to hire and retain women, send your male manager's to training to learn how to treat us.

Great resume builder for your next role

Area Manager (Former Employee)
Hebron, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros- great experience, kind of a sink or swim environment so being proactive and taking the initiave and quick learners are a huge plus. Either way, you are going to put in situations outside of you comfort zone.
- Nice signing bonus, mediocre salary
- great resume builder, especially for any candiates that came straight from college like me
- Lots of responibilites so the work is more rewarding

Cons- Long hours, I had to open the building at 6:30am (my shift was 7am-5pm), didn't end up leaving til 6pm every nite
- Even longer hours during "peak" season, I'm talking about ridiculous long hours like 6 days a week/12hr days for a couple months is normal during holiday peak season
- The environment, between the managers, it is very competitive for your department to hit rates, this creates an environment where any manager will talk behind you back at your expense to make themselves look better
- Yes you have vacation hours but using them is very unlikely, hard to take time off. You can count on not making it to you family thanksgiving/christmas events.

Advice to Senior Management- More involved in daily operations, as in periodic visits to the floor, just so the area managers feels more involved with senior management

Highly political and cut throat People that do the least are the ones most recognized as model employees.

Facitilies Tech II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Prosto be employed and not on unemployment

ConsUnless you know someone higher up to watch your back you will not go anywhere with the company.

Advice to Senior Managementwhat management. Everyone is busy trying to build their own little empire

Warehouse employees are REQUIRED to work to the bone! Beware it is tuff work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Hebron, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazon offers great benefits like stock shares when you are full- time. Always busy so hours aren't and issue and competitive pay raises**! You receive a raise every six months then they are given annually. Quick and easy to make money with a seasonal position.

ConsSeasonal is comparable to sweatshop work! Very tuff physical labor and expect a mandatory schedule of 60 hours.- full time positions have been rumored ( and lived up to) unemployment after " maxing out on their payroll scales... Warehouse workers will make about $14 hourly and they find ways to fire people ( not my experience) after they have been maxed at the $14** hr mark.... You max out after about 4 years, right when employees are comfortable with their position and relying on the income... Amazon hubs do not seem to value their employees and do not tell a whole lot about their company in whole upon highering... Let alone your position and what your position means to the company.

Work is dreadfully boring, but pays extremely well

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

ProsPalletizing, stacking totes; so easy a monkey could do it; for the most part, you won't lift more than about 30 lbs...not that heavy.
As long as you make rate, you are left alone for the most part.
Most employees are very nice and respectful.
The job pays extremely good money for such easy work---especially night shift
4 nights a week (off-peak)

ConsThe job procedures are a bit nitpicky (EX: above 4 pallets, get a partner, which ain't always possible especially when there are few people on the EOL line and you get weighed down with so many totes)

Some associates like to boss you around as if they are your supervisors...annoying

The job is extremely boring and tiresome; you do the same thing over and over and over for weeks and weeks before being given another assignment

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the job more exciting by switching up assignments every other day.

returns specialist

Warehouse Associate Tier I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Prosamazonis always changing oppurtunity does rise and fall

Consstructure is a little unsound and the turn over rate is high due to managment

Advice to Senior Managementhire more experienced managers!

Worked myself sick for long hours, and they don't seem to care.

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
Hebron, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay is decent, and there do seem to be plenty of opportunities for advancement if you're looking to stay in this line of work.

Cons(Full disclosure: technically, I work for SMX|Staffing Management, within Amazon's CVG3 warehouse - "building 3"). The 10-hour-long shifts are dreadful when you're spending the entirety of them hauling heavy carts or pallets loaded down with product back and forth across an enormous warehouse over and over again, all day long. I was assigned to this and similar tasks every day for over three weeks, in spite of supposed rules in place to prevent this, and I developed blisters, back pain, and bronchitis rather quickly (oh, boy!). They won't excuse an absence due to illness without penalizing you in their ridiculous attendance "point" system. They wouldn't exempt me from mandatory overtime for an important appointment that was scheduled weeks before said overtime was even mentioned, nor would they give an exemption for something as personally significant as attending my brother's wedding! They just said, "oh, you'll have to take a hit on your attendance." Gosh, thanks! I guess they don't expect associates to have a life outside of the warehouse when they schedule 60-hour work weeks with no exceptions, saying, "come in to work, or else," and then inexplicably send about a third of the workforce home early because there's not enough for them to do! Sometimes it seems like the place is run by a mob of imbeciles, and I'm literally and figuratively sick of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp your associate training schemes so everyone is actually on the same page as far as procedures and policies, and be a little more open to the notion that your employees are human beings with lives that don't always revolve around rates and TAKT times!

This is a very dynamic company: it should your goal to hier in permanently

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee)
Hebron, KY

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIt is rarely boring. You'll do something different each day. Always a mini-peak season i e college sessions, holidays. You'll get in shape by walking, lifting , & prolonged standing. You will gain physical flexibility when you participate in group stretching exercises. Meet some interesting new coworkers; and maybe a few with whom you're already acquainted.

ConsMight be a lot of long hours during peak time. Production quotas may be difficult to meet.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Empathize. Be forthcoming, especially with potentially bad news.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings in Hebron, KY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.