Amazon.com

Amazon.com Reviews in Herndon, VA

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

Pros
  • You will learn a lot while working at Amazon that will be useful for the rest of your career(in 98 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here(in 302 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel(in 535 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company(in 123 reviews)

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazon and AWS - smart people, fun projects, great work environment

Software Development Engineer II (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsSmart people who take ownership. Managers who don't get in the way and are above average. In general, you'll learn quite a bit.

ConsGrowing so fast has it's challenges, it can seem somewhat wild, wild west at times. Dealing with and learning the Amazon specific infrastructure can be daunting and feel somewhat tedious. It's still mostly a Java shop.

Fun and different, however, it is like a call center, even though they say its not.

Technical Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThe perks, benefits, games/food in kitchen.

ConsCall center life, very uncomfortable and boring daily routine. Managers show favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo favoritism.

Success dependent on one's direct manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

Pros- Work with smart, driven colleagues
    - Laid back dress code
    - Company name

Cons- Spotty management - Due to rapid growth many have been promoted to management without management experience
    - Lack of internal training on processes, policies, culture
    - Very political. One's success is not about performance - it's playing the game

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to address the dysfunctional culture that exists within the data center groups (commonly referred to as the trailer trash of Amazon). Many unprofessional behaviors exist that violate the company Leadership Principles and Code of Conduct. Sooner or later the bottom line is going to be impacted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting workplace for top talent

Software Developer (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsAmazon is one of the few companies in the United States where a software development engineer can create products (e.g., EC2, S3, EBS) that customers are rapidly adopting all over the world. And you can be sure that the engineers you'll be working with will be very talented and productive too.

ConsNo major cons at Amazon.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!