Amazon.com

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Tiring

Associate (Former Employee)
    Lewisberry, PA

ProsIt seemed easy to get the job. The work, while physically demanding, wasn't difficult once I got in shape.

Cons50 hour weeks were more common than 40s. Certain managers held particularly demeaning attitudes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a change in management while I was there, and it seemed to be an improvement.

Good Company

Pack Line Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Company to work for. High Energy and very helpful to new employees

ConsDon't screw up or make rate after probational 3 weeks because I saw many firings after the probational weeks. I cut my finger by accident and was on the chopping block, luckily I was leaving that week anyways because it was just a summer job.

Becoming an Amazon Warrior

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
    Lewisberry, PA

ProsThe benefits are decent, personal time, vacation time, and gloves and box cutters are provided. The dress code is reasonable, the most they tell you to do is wear a good pair of sneakers to work. They also train employees on heavy lifting equipment.

Cons-The hours can get crazy! They have made employees work 50 hour weeks for about a month at a time and gave little insight as to why this keeps happening, other than people aren't working fast enough.
    -Temp to Hire - A person would have to become a temp before they are hired on. I feel like most of the temps don't hold a lot of hope in getting hired on, so they don't put a lot of effort into their work. I feel like most of the temps feel lost in the shuffle of things at work, and don't feel like the company puts very much investment it them.
    -Short breaks - We get a half hour for lunch and 2 fifteen minute breaks. It's tough to really take a break in that short amount of time.
    - Permanent employees that set a bad example - Some of the Amazonians really don't put a lot of effort into their work and set a poor example for the new people comming in. I really don't feel like management takes these things seriously and adds this chain of events up as to why work doesn't get done.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to come up with a better plan for hiring and training new warehouse associates. I understand that they are doing the whole direct conversion plan, but I'm not so sure that that would be the answer to the problem. I worry that this plan might rely on interviews, which places that put a lot of stock in interviews tend to hire people that talk more than they can do. We also need to maintain the work ethic of current Amazon employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

no respect

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
    Lewisberry, PA

Prosthe pay is ok, but you are treated like crap. there is favoritism no matter what.

Consfavoritism.
    leadership is not positive.
    reviews are not done properly
    you get told youre going to get written up for behavioral issues for using personal time in the morning, rather than in the evening.
    they dont actually know how hard you bust your ass, and their computers dont calculate rates correctly.
    you get treated like a child, and that you are their pet.
    they threaten you with your job in different situations

Advice to Senior Managementbecome more employee eccentric as well. talk to employees like they are on the same level as you and get off your high horse.

Unhealthy Culture in Distribution Centers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReputation as "cool" employer
    Associate discount

ConsLong hours
    Extremely unhealthy culure - a tremendous amount of backstabbing and finger pointing. Everyone seems so afraid to make a mistake that blame is shifted continuously.
    Very high management turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lack of infrastructure on the distribution side was disconcerting. Very fly-by-the seat of your pants. Everything was a fire drill, even minor issues.

Temp position at an Amazon warehouse

Picker/Packer (Current Employee)
    Lewisberry, PA

ProsThe money is great for a temporary job! The job is good excercise, and employees have the potential to be trained on heavy lifting equipment. Plus they provide work gloves, box cutters and they don't have a restricting dress code. Facial piercings are allowed!

ConsThe hours are long and the breaks are extremely short. The breaks are so short that going out to lunch is not a possibility. They have strict safety rules, and it gets kind of ridiculious how they are with injury reports. If a person gets a paper cut they have to fill out 4 pages of paper work. They are really strict about line and picking rates. Just because a person gets hired on as a permanent employee doesn't mean that they are excempt from making rates. If you are hired late in the season you will have less likely of a chance to be made permanent, so if you are serious about the job start applying early.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn extra 5 to 10 minutes added to breaks would be a nice reward for employees. It would also be nice if they had part time shifts for people who are great workers and want to try out Amazon, but are too afraid to quit their full time jobs that they currently have.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings in Lewisberry, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.