Amazon.com Reviews in Lexington-Fayette, KY

3,561 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,478 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A nice experience

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

They work with your school schedule if you are a student, summer activities with family members, and it is a very nice/friendly environment to be in. Oh and the pay is wonderful, as well as the benefits (health insurance etc.).

Cons

Long hours, and work can be hard on your body at times.

Good Company - Good Benefits

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many schedules to work from. Good benfits in monthly profit sharing.

Cons

High turnover - managemnt is always in reactive mode. Burn -n- churn management

Horrible

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job keep you moving and pay well.

Cons

Management was horrible. Time off not approved for deaths.

Understand your employees views and wishes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very bad, no real upward mobility, purposely have very high turnover rate, backbreaking work

Former Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay per hour is relatively high in comparison to other readily available jobs in local areas.
    If you are full-time and permanent, your total hours a week is average around 38+ hours a week
    Your health insurance bi-weekly premium is cheap.
    You can take your personal time off without much hassle because it is consider pretty much considered pre-approved.
    After you been there over one year, you can quickly accumulate vacation time on monthly basis.

Cons

You have begin working through temp agency which means you can be fired anytime for bogus reasons.
    They purposely have high turnover rate among both temp and full-time workers to keep wages low.
    When checking for transfer opportunities, you are stuck in area where you work currently, in other words, if you work in warehouse, then you can not really transfer to computer tech or office clerk because they made requirements very difficult to meet.
    They stated clearly that they are not willing to train employees if they transfer to completely different jobs.
    Top managers including its CEO had stated publicly that employees are not important because there are many people looking for jobs so employees are easily replaceable.
    They disregard employees' long term consequence of severely straining physical body of employees by requiring to meet outrageous very high numbers for processing products/items per minute.
    They are not getting any inputs from medical doctors when they determine various work requirements.

You need to consult inputs from medical doctors on determining various requirements.
    You also need to be willing to transfer employees to completely different departments.
    When employees transfer into completely new departments, you need to be able to train them on-the-job trainings for several weeks or months.

I have enjoyed my time with Amazon.

Current Employee - Facilities Area Manager  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Facilities Area Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with leaders from all over the world.

Cons

Expectations are very high, and the work life balance can get out of hand.

Hold all managers accountable for their work practices. Not just the low level area managers.

You can't work here forever.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay. 11.50 per hour at night and a dollar less during the day. You do have opportunity for advancement but it gets harder without a degree. Also, annual pay raises and after 2 years you receive annual stock which you can sell for decent cash. Also decent health insurance and the best dental I've ever seen.

Cons

The grunt work is really hard. You stand for 10-12 hours or walk up to 25 miles a shift. Scanners and scanning causes wrist issues. If you're not liked, you're not going anywhere. After about 5 years you're either burnt out or they're looking for a reason to fire you.

The company's expectations of you managers are really really high. Most managers are overstressed and looking at getting fired during Christmas, the busiest time of the year.

Decent pay, but inconsistent hours.

Current Employee - Stower  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Stower in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good exercise because I was working as a stower in one of the warehouses, putting books and dads on shelves. The rates increase over periods of time and it is very hard to make rate without cheating. This is because the rate is based on average rate of stowing so the more people cheat, the higher the rate goes up because you can put more books on shelves.

Cons

Stressful physically and mentally. Terrible radio playing the entire day every day. Get ready for Katy Perry 24/7.

Consider letting some people use headphones at work. Since there is not any team cooperation as a stower, I was alone all day and some of my own music would really help.

I enjoyed the job, but could not continue due to being unable to adjust to night shift at the time.

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you need a job, seasonal work at Amazon is a viable option. Although people tend to poorly review Amazon, I believe the reason people dislike Amazon is because of the demanding pace and vast amount of walking. Buy some comfortable shoes, eat healthy foods, and drink lots of water, and Amazon is not so hard. I personally enjoy challenging work and breaking a sweat, and Amazon is a great place for those with work ethic.

Cons

Some of the computer systems seemed aged, the machinery is loud, and the pace is not comfortable. However it is not the nightmare job that those of lesser work ethic claim it is.

Keep up the good work. The positive reinforcement, safety tips, and stretching exercises make the experience much safer and more productive. My advice to management is to proceed as they have.

Amazon is a great company.

Current Employee - Process Assistant  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like the fast pace work environment and casual work place setting. Amazon also provides everyone with an opportunity to have an impact on process improvement by submitting ideas and participating in JDI's, PDCAs, and kaizens.

Cons

One opportunity that amazon can improve on is the communication of holidays. It would give associates a better opportunity to plan for a better work/life balance with family members.

Horrible Place

Current Employee - Associate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health insurance is pretty good and the pay is decent but not really if you compare it to other places

Cons

Low pay the management is horrible they never know what hand is doing what they make the rules up as they go. They cant stand the thought of you talking about a union they work you like a dog and no fun so I am not sure were there motto plays a role cause I have yet to have fun there. I along feel like a slave or prisoner being watched all the time having to go through two sets of security is crazy. They treat employees like crap they think of them as a number not a human. So if you don't make the number then they don't want you. I just wish that the customers would see how they treat their people and they wouldn't support them either. Just another reason why corporate America stinks because these big companies want to kill there employees. The 5 min breaks are nice as well but keep in mind they are suppose to be 15 min and lunch 30 but you know its company policy to cut that short don't matter what the federal law says when your amazon. Oh yeah and they don't that if it comes a snow storm they want you risk your life to come to work and no matter what unless that is you are on dayshift then you can close for the day and not count against you. Kind of strange how that works. So if you want to work your life away with no time with family this is great place but I don't I love my family and they are more important to me then Amazon and if you want to move up then you better know somebody or be ready to bend over and take cause that your only way to the top. I cant wait to be out of there and find a career that has values and morals that I stand for and to work at a place where you matter your not a number or a dollar sign.

Quit worrying about flying a drone or whatever and focus on the people that make your company which is the people that come in everyday and give up their life and try to keep their heads above water while you all drive around in your 100,000 dollar vehicles and live in your million dollar homes and don't care about the people. Its time you either stand behind your motto or step out of the way a let a real company that cares about its people take over somebody like Costco, Sams club,Overstock.com a these are all true companies. To Jeff bezzo quit trying to get to space and invest that money into your workers families and support them.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!