Amazon.com

4,150 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,780 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very intense, good learning environment, but rough personnel methods

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Lexington, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not in a huge city
    Interesting work
    Chance to make an impact

Cons

Senior management and district/corporate management treat everyone at FCs like dirt. It's like the real amazon is in Seattle and the FCs are dirty skeletons in the closet that the "real" amazonians hate. The way salaried managers have to deal with hourly employees kind of ruins the whole thing.

Get amazon on one of those best places to work lists by LISTENING and VALUING YOUR PEOPLE!

Short shelf life

Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Warehouse Picker in Lexington, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good chance for an entry level job which pays well while it lasts.

Cons

Short term holiday employment. Well over 90% of the holiday temps will be let go after New Year's Day.

Fast growth leads to growing pains in fulfillment network

Former Employee - Pathways Operations Intern in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Pathways Operations Intern in Lexington, KY

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smart people; fast-paced environment; strong performance; constant effort to improve operations
    Everyone I met was energetic and eager to improve operations in the warehouse. They are quant hounds who know how to use data to make decisions so this is a great place to test your analytical skills.

Cons

Burn out in staff at fulfillment centers leads to chronic short-staffing and unhappy hourly workers; Christmas peak season is a crazy time and not for the faint of heart! Having grown at 30% CAGR for years, the strains are really felt on the ground in delivering to customers.

Improve your hiring practices to reduce staff stress

A very dynamic place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Tremendous ability to make changes. Increasing use of lean production principles creates a great laboratory to master LEAN. Work with the smartest group of people imaginable and move at breakneck speed. Make an impact bigger than yourself.

Cons

Managers are servants and garner much less respect than the hourly employee, a good thing up to a point that is often surpassed. Meanwhile the hours can be quite long and there is tremendous ambiguity matched with a high degree of accountability.

Appreciate your managers, trust their judgement, and assume they intend to do the right things.

I have enjoyed working for Amazon and continue to learn daily

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Always new challenges and things to learn
    A company you can be proud of the way they treat their customers
    A company growing is alway more fun

Cons

Work life balance becomes an issue. At Amazon you get the job done period and that can come a cost to your family balance. You have to love working here. You will either love it or hate it.

Decent, nothing special

Current Employee - Associate, Ambassador in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Associate, Ambassador in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

I wrote a review exactly one year ago, so I felt it was time to write another one. The pros are pretty much the same; good salary considering you don't need a college education, and it is easy to get hired here, so if you want to work and you work hard, then you will be hired. The insurance is really good and you have a 401K. Amazon really is customer centric,to a fault. My FC got AC for the summer!

Cons

Working hard is a Pro and a Con. The bad side is the harder you work, the more they expect. They take everything you have and you do not get a whole lot back. Sometimes your reward for working hard is mandatory overtime. Over the last year, our perks have changed for the worse. We used to get $10 and $20 Amazon gift cards, and last peak that turned into $5 gas cards. When I found this out it was pretty discouraging. As much as this company makes you would think that the perks would be getting better, not worse! We just had a rate increase for my department, which is no big deal, but there was no compensation for it. As far as work/life balance, that is still pretty bad. For associates it's not near as bad as managers, as Amazon will suck your life away. As I said in the Pros, Amazon is customer centric to a fault. The company needs to compensate for the hard work of the employees. I believe that if they did this, then the attitude of alot of the employees would change for the better, as there is quite a bit of behavioral problems and negativity. As I mentioned in the Pros, my FC got AC for the summer, so at the least we dont feel like we are working in a sweat shop.

My advice would be, reward your employees. Make them feel like the work they do is worth it. Being customer centric is fine, but when the employees suffer so much for it, it is going too far. People who enjoy working in an area should be allowed to work there, instead of constantly putting people in areas they do not like. This is one of the major complaints in my FC. People who enjoy what they are doing will be more productive.

I learned a lot but wouldn't make a career out of it.

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

A lot of room for growth so you can make a large impact on the company even when a lower level position.

Cons

Communication is essentially nonexistent between upper management and associates. Many problems have been overlooked because of such explosize growth and many foundation pieces have been thrown together hastily. There is a lot of room for improvement, but a lot of upper management is unwilling to make the necessary changes to strengthen the foundation of the business because they don't want to scare off FBA sellers and customers.

They need to start communicating long term goals with associates and make some changes to strengthen the foundation. Growth needs to be scaled a little better.

It is fast- paced, challenging and rewarding all at the same time.

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Its Amazon a wonderful company

Cons

Long hours work over 55 hour weeks
    Management is dissorganized

Be there for your employees and be more understanding.

Great if you like warehousing work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Good Pay & Benefits
    Management treats employees with respect

Cons

Monotonous work
    Too many hours during holiday season.

Hire more people during holiday season so employees don't have to work 60 hour work weeks.

It was an up and down ride.

Former Employee - Ship Clerk in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Ship Clerk in Lexington, KY

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Great benefits, 401k, stocks each year. All the work is very easy to learn and perform. This may be important to some, but background checks are irrelevant there.

Cons

Very child-like atmosphere. Lots of rules created every day that prevent you from doing your job. Very little chance of being promoted. When it comes to be a manager, you have to have a 4 year degree in business and must have military experience, There is lots of favoritism when it comes to promotions. The salary surveys are compared to irrelevant companies in the local area.

More communication. Look to promote more from within than going outside of the company. Treat employees like adults and stop with the childish safety rules every day.