Amazon.com Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

3,563 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,479 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opportunity like nowhere else

Current Employee - Software Development Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to get things done and grow your resume. You are working with really smart people and have access to a lot of enablers. The culture here enshrines "bias for action" which is your license to cut through the red tape when it gets in the way.

Cons

Low titles, lack of performance pay. The appearance of frugality is valued beyond its business benefit. This can make you feel less valued regardless of your salary. Stack ranking encourages people to play the system rather than do the right thing. Negotiate hard before you arrive.

The first few performance reviews here are tougher than they should be and lead to attrition. Managers have to play the system to give promotions and money where they can. Because overall Amazon has been so successful, upper management has failed to recognize the cost of this attrition and how much better performance could be without this problem. We are using up our talent pool and our competitors are skilled at playing up the negative aspects of the culture here.

Good Learning Experience, But can be hectic

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Great compensation
    - Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development
    - looks good on resume

Cons

- Depending on the team, work-life balance can be virtually non-existent. This is highly dependent on the manager
    - No perks such as free food, drinks, etc in majority of Amazon (In the palo alto office, we do get free snacks and drinks)

Stop being so dam frugal, improve the perks to match other tech giants.

Cutting edge technology

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging tasks.
    Sharp people to work with.
    You will always be on your toes.

Cons

On calls might be sometimes little hectic.

Need more employee feedback

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazon isn't all it's cracked up to be, unless you're an engineer you probably won't be happy

Current Employee - Sales Director  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

It looks good on a resume. The visibility of the company may allow you to catch the eye of recruiters in the future.

Cons

The management is arrogant and unprofessional, the seem unqualified. There is such a strong emphasis put on the engineering side of the business, and none on the biz dev side. They do not understand what a sales person needs to be successful, if you are interviewing for a "sales" what they really want is a telemarketer.

Take a management course! Where you went to college shouldn't matter when you are 40+ years old! Take the time to learn how to run your department, understand that engineering isn't the only component in a interactive advertising department/business.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!