Amazon.com Reviews

3.4
Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
3,148 Ratings

Pros
  • You will learn a lot that will help with the rest of your career (in 118 reviews)

• The company is full of very smart people (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best at work-life balance (in 636 reviews)

• Absolutely no work life balance (in 145 reviews)

5,073 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Fantastic for me, but depends on the work group

Current Employee - Program Manager I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Small teams Interesting, innovative projects Very smart people Doesn't feel like a cutthroat environment like you see at some competitive companies Stock Internal education system to learn everything from management skills to programming Quiet work areas Beautiful campus Start up feel Doesn't feel like big company Ability to make things happen quickly If you see something you want to change or take on, go for it! VERY flexible work schedule No dress code

Cons

It can be challenging sometimes figuring out where or how to get information needed for a project Promotion/advancement is totally up to you to initiate Everyone is smart, talented and motivated so you would need to do something pretty remarkable to be noticed as "special" Can be lots of ambiguity, but mainly because a lot of what is being done hasn't necessarily been done before

Advice to Management

More coaching to employees so they have a better understanding of how to advance. Other than that, very happy.

Can be amazing for some people, horrible for others

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon is doing lot's of cool stuff...but lots of boring stuff too. There are really well run teams...and very badly run teams. The experience for software managers and engineers is all over the board, from really run low operational load teams to teams where people burn out after a year. - Amazon is built, quite deliberately, to be Darwinian. You can generally expect that anyone who's been here for more than 2 years is competent and motivated or they wouldn't have survived. You can count on them as long as your priorities are aligned. There aren't many slackers here, and they don't survive long. - We work on so much stuff that there's always an opportunity to find amazing cool stuff to work on (note that it's an 'opportunity', one that you have to pursue) - A chance to make a huge difference - A place where you can learn a lot about all kinds of things, both technical and about yourself - Amazon encourages high mobility - even your manager can't prevent you from moving to another team within 6 weeks (normally, more than a few months under unusual conditions). - Your friends and family have actually heard of the place you work and have at least a vague notion of what Amazon does without you having to explain

Cons

- You're responsible for your own career progression and finding the places and teams that are doing the stuff you want to do. No one is going to take you by the hand and help you with that. - Amazon is built, quite deliberately, to be Darwinian. The strong survive and the weak perish (metaphorically speaking) and the 'bar' is constantly increasing. The level of performance that would have been acceptable five years ago will get you canned today. It's a kind of crucible that'll help you develop a harder edge, if you can survive, that can serve you well in your career and in life, but it's often not a pleasant experience. I wouldn't recommend it as a place to work for just anyone.

Advice to Management

Stack ranking is a horrible practice since it's rife with favoritism. It's also not Amazonian in that it's not data based (arbitrarily designating a certain percentage of employees that must be put on performance management isn't a data driven criterion) and it's not frugal (effectively forcing an individual out of the company in one division who would make the grade in another is either retaining someone who doesn't meet the bar or a waste of talent). The goal is to force managers to actually make the hard decisions about how their team members compare with each other (not everyone can be exceptional), but it has more defects than virtues. Replace it with a common comparison of each person against the bar for their position, based on data. The percentages that are assigned to each performance category will turn out how they turn out, but there will be an evaluation mechanism that's fair and frugal.

Make sure you know exactly what you're getting into

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The name will precede you. This company can legitimately be called a "Disruptor" and perhaps even a world-changer. Customers love it and it's amazing to watch it all unfold at times. It's a pleasure to be even a small part of that. Even low-level employees are given some ownership, more than they might in some other places. Processes like the customer service andon cord demonstrate this. Pay is mostly good, with some caveats (see the Cons section). You will learn a ton. You'll be put through the ringer, but will emerge stronger for it. It's been said that a year at Amazon = two years elsewhere. That's definitely true. You'll learn business, supply chain, tech, retail, you name it. You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly. That was one of my favorite parts about working here. You can bring your dog to the office, dress code is casual, and South Lake Union is a fun neighborhood to work in. Seattle is stunningly beautiful in the summer, too (if you have time to enjoy it, that is.) Bezos is one of the few CEOs I've seen who earns the glowing reputation. He's a genius and a visionary. It's exciting to work in his company, though the thought of what will happen when he moves on is also a bit frightening.

Cons

"Work-life balance" means different things to different people, so I'm not going to say it's bad here per se. That said, long hours are the norm at all levels across the company, and usually that's required and expected just to keep up. Expect 60 hours as your baseline year round and 70 or more during Q4. You should expect that your time and mental energy for kids, hobbies, etc. will be extremely limited. Plan accordingly. Whether this is a negative will depend largely on the individual; just ensure you know where you stand on this before you sign an offer letter. That Amazon is a massive company with tons of smart people at all levels can actually be a huge negative. You might be a solid individual contributor, but so is absolutely everyone else - and you're all fighting for the same attention. It can be very hard to stand out, and you have to ensure your manager and your manager's manager know what value you bring at all times or you're toast. (You may still be toast regardless.) That means politics, backstabbing, and stack ranking do occur, despite some claims to the contrary. People definitely look out for themselves and themselves alone here; it's not a collaborative environment. It's also very easy to get the sense that you are a highly expendable cog even if your contributions bring significant value to the company. Plan to fight for yourself hard here, and be prepared to not get much acknowledgment or praise. Even if you do prove yourself well, know that advancement opportunities are limited. Most transfers in my observation were lateral, with big new hires being external. I've heard that the strategy of many people is to do a few intense years of lateral moves which can then be leveraged into a higher position at another company. Compensation is a mixed bag. Salaries are just average, but you get a huge signing bonus and stock which vests in strange increments over four years. Since the average employee lasts less than two years, you will not see most of that stock and you may need to repay some of that signing bonus (usually awarded over two years) if you leave or are pushed out. Raises are very, very small each year - your salary will not substantially increase even with a good review. Most people work startup hours, so their effective pay rate is pretty low. Additionally, the company espouses frugality as a core value. While this can be a positive, it also means they're downright cheap on some things, including hardware. Employee perks are pretty much nonexistent, and that's compared to most big companies and not just the Googles of the world. Benefits like health insurance and 401k match are mediocre at best. No free Prime accounts. No paid parental leave; moms get disability and dads get zip. (As in zero. None.) I did mention earlier that this isn't the most kid-friendly company to work for.

Advice to Management

It's great to work at a place that highly values customer experience, so please keep that up. Work on your compensation - it's not competitive when compared to other tech giants. If I'm going to work as hard or as much as I did, at least I'd get free haircuts and food and massages at Google. Hell, even some paid paternity leave would be a start.

A huge diverse high tech company with all sorts of stuff

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Disclaimer: My opinions reflect that of an SDE in Amazon. Seems like some operational job functions are very tough. I have read through some of the other Amazon reviews and it seems to me that everyone has a very different experience! This is so true. Within the same team, you can have both workaholics and slackers coexisting and coworking together. I think I am more of the balanced type as I try to stay sane. The Amazon experience is basically the entire spectrum and it is what you make it out to be. Pros in Amazon certainly excludes great benefits, but compensation is competitive. Free food means average quality free coffee, once in a while free pizza for lunch where it is a working lunch, and free beer and finger food in special events. We get a free Orca card to take any bus in the Seattle area for free. $160 per month subsidy for office parking, which is better than nothing. Downtown monthly parking goes for about $200 per month. 401K contribution is 50% of what you put in, where you can put in max 4% of your salary. Not so great. Staff cafeteria food is average and not at all cheaper than outside food, or could be even more expensive. It is hard not to complain about the cafeteria. Vacation days are ok but note that there are no sick leaves. They count as part of your 5 personal days per year. Listing the benefits of Amazon is like listing the cons and not the pros. Work life balance seems to be ok for the most part, and seems to be individually-driven. No one will tell you that you have to come in at what time and stay till what time. I have team mates working every night and weekend, and others getting in at 10am and leaving at 5pm, all in the same team. Managers will focus on your project deliveries instead of how much time you spend working. If you work 40-hour weeks productively, you can definitely outperform someone who works 60-hour weeks but don't deliver stuff. Working less than 40 hours per week is somewhat common, but I can't say how many people are working how long. The view on work life balance is a bit skewed. All it comes down to are the managers and what they think. Projects are always never-ending but I have found that deadlines are very realistic and reasonable, without counting your nights and weekends. Getting some slack time once in a while is probably a sign of a healthy work environment. Everyone needs a break. On-call really really sucks. Basically all it comes down to is having SDEs double-duty as support operations engineers. Note that on-call does not improve the code quality of any team in any way. The on-call experience is particularly bad because you are using services from some other team, and their code is of low quality and fails for the wrong reasons. If the managers had given more time to up the quality, there would not be so many problems. Software is usually delivered with a tough deadline with code that meets the minimum quality bar and never gets improved for the next few years. The code review process does not seem to help improve the code but it really obstructs developers from making great changes as unconventional things will not pass code review in clumsy minds. Innovation and excellence are not the name of the game in Amazon. Searching through the Amazon code base is usually not going to turn up quality code that you can actually reuse. Integration is the name of the game in Amazon. You will need to spend a lot of time to figure out how to integrate your code with another team's services. Whether these other people are cooperative is a hit-or-miss. I have found that most people are responsive and helpful, but there are also quite a number of jerks who are out to make trouble for everybody. It is not easy to work across teams but the experience is mostly positive. Amazon is a huge behemoth and is hiring people like there is no tomorrow. This reflects well on a good growth momentum but also is worrying that the company is not turning much profit. If the company does not make money, where is our bonus going to come from? You can see new faces around the Amazon building almost everyday! Downside is that we are taking in a lot of average to above-average engineers and being an Amazonian SDE certainly does not share the same reputation as the top names. Amazon is a huge mixed bag of some very talented people and some very dumb people. I think the world is not turning up enough SDEs and the only way is for quality to go downhill. As an SDE, expect to spend most of your time talking, writing emails and documents, and maybe around 20-30% of your time coding. In most of the teams, you can work on interesting projects, but probably not revolutionary ones. Note that Amazon is a very down-to-earth company and the work is very down-to-earth as well. You will work on real things that people have actually requested for, and that people will start using as soon as you are done. Work is challenging but not to expect highly technically complex stuff. Most of the work has to do with solving everyday problems. To me, this seems to make sense because I have ever tried working on experimental projects before elsewhere and I did not feel it was a good use of my time. Internal mobility is a key strength of Amazon, and I am not sure which company has done better than Amazon in this aspect. Internal moves are easy. You only need to stay in your team for a year before moving to a different team. There is no easy way to tell which team is a good team to move to because they all have their different pros and cons and people and coming and leaving all the time! Seattle is by much rumour an easier place to live than the Bay area. Overall Amazon is a tough but yet sane place to work. The flexibility of this company is really its core strength. You have the freedom to excel as much as you want and also to slack as much as you want. Bummer. You shouldn't be slacking!

Cons

Beware of bad managers and horrible team mates. They are not specific to Amazon but they do exist in Amazon. I have to admit that Monday is usually a blue day at Amazon and it is very tough to look forward to getting into office. I don't know anyone in Amazon who looks forward to getting in on Mondays. Be realistic about SDE requirements. Coding skills are good to have but they are not the most important part of your job. I think we are hearing the same thing from every company. Medical coverage is average or below average. Expect to pay about $60 per month for singles and about $240 per month for families. $240 per month for families gives you $3000 in medical fees before you have to pay (more) anything out-of-pocket. SDE advancement is unreal difficult. They have about 6 levels total, SDE 1-4, then Senior Principal Engineer, and finally Distinguished Engineer. The number of SDE 1s and 2s are huge. Trying to get to SDE 3 seems to be all-of-a-sudden extremely difficult, but not impossible. So this essentially means that if you come to Amazon as a fresh grad SDE, expect to get about only one or two promotions in your entire career, which obviously is quite a lame expectation and reality. You will probably do much better in your career advancement anywhere else. Employee retention is horrible. I am not sure why the philosophy seems to be trying to undercut existing employees and then hire from external sources. Management all say that they are trying to retain people, but actions don't seem to suggest anything better. Rumour has it that annual pay raises are horrible. This basically mean that either you are a superstar in the company before they will try to retain you, or if you are smart you should not stay in Amazon for too long.

Advice to Management

The thing about thinking long-term is getting more and more worrying as the company has not turned a tidy profit and is trying to conquer the world with its lofty expansion strategies. I don't know what kind of secret recipe management is cooking but seeing the company not making much money never feels comfortable.

Everyone is very nice. Amazon Web Service Team is best out of all. Good work culture. One of the highly paying job.

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

vibrant, fast paced culture - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology - good benefits and perqs

Cons

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

Survival of the fittest!

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pace, Challenges, Learning - One has to deliver work at a rapid pace. Fail fast is a mantra here and there is no space for slackers!

Cons

Normalization - Bottom 10% performers have to be identified at every level each year. It gets tiring after few years as one has to be a survivor every year.

Big scale and complex solutions - loving it

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Amazon about 2 years ago and like most, I read the reviews on glassdoors and got so scared. Amazon is a BIG company. Everyone that has worked for large companies knows that there are always the pockets of bad teams or bad match between a hire and the company. Now, it's also more common for people to write bad feedback than good feedback. As an example, it's rare to get out of a good experience on a restaurant and go write a good review on Yelp. You will usually go and write a bad review when you didn't like something. Back to topic! I'm having an amazing time at Amazon. I manage 2 teams of developers, haven't had any attrition, the team is happy, and all of us work normal hours. We often have social events and there is very minimal top down guidance about how the team works and what we should focus on. We build our own roadmap and think long term. It really feels like working in a startup but much more stable. If you have the chance of working at Amazon, ask lots of questions about the team you're going into, be passionate about the space you're working, and you will have a great time. Oh, and if you by any chance join a bad team, after 1 year you can internally transfer without any problems.

Cons

Main cons is similar to what was I mentioned above. There is the chance of joining bad team - like in ANY other company. At least remember that you can switch after 12 months.

Advice to Management

My main advice would be to add one more SDE level between 2 and 3. The second advice would be to investigate why some teams (and they're a minority!) are having problems with hours worked, and bad middle management. I would also suggest to streamline the recruiting effort across Amazon. Some teams do 2 phone interviews, some do 1, etc...

Hard place to start, but really rewarding

Current Employee - Software Developing Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developing Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Given big responsibility from the start, which is great. There is a lot of trust towards developers. * You won't be given useless projects. Everything is used. * A lot of communication between the business side of a project and the tech side. * Unique, challenging, and interesting problems to solve (although this could vary depending on which part of Amazon) * Values aren't just posted on the walls, they're drilled into everything you do * Easy to transfer internally to a new job (requires at least a year between teams and a good performance review) * Relative transparency between manager and employees. Although it's only with your direct superior. There isn't much interaction with anyone higher than that. * Use of new and relevant technologies (i.e. they're not stuck using outdated languages/stacks). I'm sure this varies from team to team though * This sounds trivial, but the office chairs are amazing. They did not skimp on those. * It's generally easy to work remotely. Although it's not really encouraged, it is doable. * Being able to bring a dog is AWESOME. Seriously huge benefit.

Cons

* Frugality is the one value that you will end up hating. They abuse to the point of being cheap. Pretty much all the negatives about the company stem from this single value. * The development environment you get isn't that great (although they're *slowly* getting better). Laptops and desktops just don't have enough processing power to do what they need to do, and they JUST started issuing dual-monitors as standard. * Growing too fast. Some buildings are filled to the brim. They had to take down the interior walls in some buildings to make room for more people to fit. It literally can feel like a factory sometimes. * No parking on campus * The campus itself is honestly really boring. It's boring to look at, and it doesn't have anything to make it stand out. * Managers are hit and miss. They seem to only care about how they look and not how their employees are doing. * Really tough for those coming right out of college. No one is going to tell you to stop working, so it's incredibly easy to get burned out. The amount of pressure you can receive from your manager is scary. * Way too much bureaucracy (aka too many meetings). * Internal tools have a really high learning curve.

Advice to Management

Instead of being just a mouth-piece for the higher-ups, try learning more about the people who answer to you. Relationships build trust. Repeating Amazon's values at me isn't going to make me better at my job.

Nice place to work.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Winchester, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Winchester, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, great facilities/break areas and friendly people.

Cons

Some managers aren't as good as others but that's with anywhere.

Thank you for a great experience!

Former Employee - Picker in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Picker in Allentown, PA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned how to be a team player and a leader. The fast paced atmosphere is not for the faint of heart.

Cons

This fast pace gives the perception of an uncaring atmosphere, everyone is expected to own their responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Even though I was fired, I had a blast working for Amazon, so whatever your doing, don't stop.

Showing 5,073 of 5,558 reviews