Amazon.com

3,947 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,673 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Can be amazing for some people, horrible for others

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon is doing lot's of cool stuff...but lots of boring stuff too. There are really well run teams...and very badly run teams. The experience for software managers and engineers is all over the board, from really run low operational load teams to teams where people burn out after a year.

- Amazon is built, quite deliberately, to be Darwinian. You can generally expect that anyone who's been here for more than 2 years is competent and motivated or they wouldn't have survived. You can count on them as long as your priorities are aligned. There aren't many slackers here, and they don't survive long.
      - We work on so much stuff that there's always an opportunity to find amazing cool stuff to work on (note that it's an 'opportunity', one that you have to pursue)
      - A chance to make a huge difference
      - A place where you can learn a lot about all kinds of things, both technical and about yourself
      - Amazon encourages high mobility - even your manager can't prevent you from moving to another team within 6 weeks (normally, more than a few months under unusual conditions).
      - Your friends and family have actually heard of the place you work and have at least a vague notion of what Amazon does without you having to explain

Cons

- You're responsible for your own career progression and finding the places and teams that are doing the stuff you want to do. No one is going to take you by the hand and help you with that.
    - Amazon is built, quite deliberately, to be Darwinian. The strong survive and the weak perish (metaphorically speaking) and the 'bar' is constantly increasing. The level of performance that would have been acceptable five years ago will get you canned today. It's a kind of crucible that'll help you develop a harder edge, if you can survive, that can serve you well in your career and in life, but it's often not a pleasant experience.

I wouldn't recommend it as a place to work for just anyone.

Stack ranking is a horrible practice since it's rife with favoritism. It's also not Amazonian in that it's not data based (arbitrarily designating a certain percentage of employees that must be put on performance management isn't a data driven criterion) and it's not frugal (effectively forcing an individual out of the company in one division who would make the grade in another is either retaining someone who doesn't meet the bar or a waste of talent). The goal is to force managers to actually make the hard decisions about how their team members compare with each other (not everyone can be exceptional), but it has more defects than virtues. Replace it with a common comparison of each person against the bar for their position, based on data. The percentages that are assigned to each performance category will turn out how they turn out, but there will be an evaluation mechanism that's fair and frugal.

Make sure you know exactly what you're getting into

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The name will precede you. This company can legitimately be called a "Disruptor" and perhaps even a world-changer. Customers love it and it's amazing to watch it all unfold at times. It's a pleasure to be even a small part of that.

Even low-level employees are given some ownership, more than they might in some other places. Processes like the customer service andon cord demonstrate this.

Pay is mostly good, with some caveats (see the Cons section).

You will learn a ton. You'll be put through the ringer, but will emerge stronger for it. It's been said that a year at Amazon = two years elsewhere. That's definitely true. You'll learn business, supply chain, tech, retail, you name it. You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly. That was one of my favorite parts about working here.

You can bring your dog to the office, dress code is casual, and South Lake Union is a fun neighborhood to work in. Seattle is stunningly beautiful in the summer, too (if you have time to enjoy it, that is.)

Bezos is one of the few CEOs I've seen who earns the glowing reputation. He's a genius and a visionary. It's exciting to work in his company, though the thought of what will happen when he moves on is also a bit frightening.

Cons

"Work-life balance" means different things to different people, so I'm not going to say it's bad here per se. That said, long hours are the norm at all levels across the company, and usually that's required and expected just to keep up. Expect 60 hours as your baseline year round and 70 or more during Q4. You should expect that your time and mental energy for kids, hobbies, etc. will be extremely limited. Plan accordingly. Whether this is a negative will depend largely on the individual; just ensure you know where you stand on this before you sign an offer letter.

That Amazon is a massive company with tons of smart people at all levels can actually be a huge negative. You might be a solid individual contributor, but so is absolutely everyone else - and you're all fighting for the same attention. It can be very hard to stand out, and you have to ensure your manager and your manager's manager know what value you bring at all times or you're toast. (You may still be toast regardless.) That means politics, backstabbing, and stack ranking do occur, despite some claims to the contrary. People definitely look out for themselves and themselves alone here; it's not a collaborative environment. It's also very easy to get the sense that you are a highly expendable cog even if your contributions bring significant value to the company. Plan to fight for yourself hard here, and be prepared to not get much acknowledgment or praise. Even if you do prove yourself well, know that advancement opportunities are limited. Most transfers in my observation were lateral, with big new hires being external. I've heard that the strategy of many people is to do a few intense years of lateral moves which can then be leveraged into a higher position at another company.

Compensation is a mixed bag. Salaries are just average, but you get a huge signing bonus and stock which vests in strange increments over four years. Since the average employee lasts less than two years, you will not see most of that stock and you may need to repay some of that signing bonus (usually awarded over two years) if you leave or are pushed out. Raises are very, very small each year - your salary will not substantially increase even with a good review. Most people work startup hours, so their effective pay rate is pretty low. Additionally, the company espouses frugality as a core value. While this can be a positive, it also means they're downright cheap on some things, including hardware. Employee perks are pretty much nonexistent, and that's compared to most big companies and not just the Googles of the world. Benefits like health insurance and 401k match are mediocre at best. No free Prime accounts. No paid parental leave; moms get disability and dads get zip. (As in zero. None.) I did mention earlier that this isn't the most kid-friendly company to work for.

It's great to work at a place that highly values customer experience, so please keep that up. Work on your compensation - it's not competitive when compared to other tech giants. If I'm going to work as hard or as much as I did, at least I'd get free haircuts and food and massages at Google. Hell, even some paid paternity leave would be a start.

A huge diverse high tech company with all sorts of stuff

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Disclaimer: My opinions reflect that of an SDE in Amazon. Seems like some operational job functions are very tough.

I have read through some of the other Amazon reviews and it seems to me that everyone has a very different experience! This is so true. Within the same team, you can have both workaholics and slackers coexisting and coworking together. I think I am more of the balanced type as I try to stay sane. The Amazon experience is basically the entire spectrum and it is what you make it out to be.

Pros in Amazon certainly excludes great benefits, but compensation is competitive. Free food means average quality free coffee, once in a while free pizza for lunch where it is a working lunch, and free beer and finger food in special events. We get a free Orca card to take any bus in the Seattle area for free. $160 per month subsidy for office parking, which is better than nothing. Downtown monthly parking goes for about $200 per month. 401K contribution is 50% of what you put in, where you can put in max 4% of your salary. Not so great. Staff cafeteria food is average and not at all cheaper than outside food, or could be even more expensive. It is hard not to complain about the cafeteria. Vacation days are ok but note that there are no sick leaves. They count as part of your 5 personal days per year. Listing the benefits of Amazon is like listing the cons and not the pros.

Work life balance seems to be ok for the most part, and seems to be individually-driven. No one will tell you that you have to come in at what time and stay till what time. I have team mates working every night and weekend, and others getting in at 10am and leaving at 5pm, all in the same team. Managers will focus on your project deliveries instead of how much time you spend working. If you work 40-hour weeks productively, you can definitely outperform someone who works 60-hour weeks but don't deliver stuff. Working less than 40 hours per week is somewhat common, but I can't say how many people are working how long. The view on work life balance is a bit skewed. All it comes down to are the managers and what they think. Projects are always never-ending but I have found that deadlines are very realistic and reasonable, without counting your nights and weekends. Getting some slack time once in a while is probably a sign of a healthy work environment. Everyone needs a break.

On-call really really sucks. Basically all it comes down to is having SDEs double-duty as support operations engineers. Note that on-call does not improve the code quality of any team in any way. The on-call experience is particularly bad because you are using services from some other team, and their code is of low quality and fails for the wrong reasons. If the managers had given more time to up the quality, there would not be so many problems. Software is usually delivered with a tough deadline with code that meets the minimum quality bar and never gets improved for the next few years. The code review process does not seem to help improve the code but it really obstructs developers from making great changes as unconventional things will not pass code review in clumsy minds. Innovation and excellence are not the name of the game in Amazon. Searching through the Amazon code base is usually not going to turn up quality code that you can actually reuse.

Integration is the name of the game in Amazon. You will need to spend a lot of time to figure out how to integrate your code with another team's services. Whether these other people are cooperative is a hit-or-miss. I have found that most people are responsive and helpful, but there are also quite a number of jerks who are out to make trouble for everybody. It is not easy to work across teams but the experience is mostly positive.

Amazon is a huge behemoth and is hiring people like there is no tomorrow. This reflects well on a good growth momentum but also is worrying that the company is not turning much profit. If the company does not make money, where is our bonus going to come from? You can see new faces around the Amazon building almost everyday! Downside is that we are taking in a lot of average to above-average engineers and being an Amazonian SDE certainly does not share the same reputation as the top names. Amazon is a huge mixed bag of some very talented people and some very dumb people. I think the world is not turning up enough SDEs and the only way is for quality to go downhill.

As an SDE, expect to spend most of your time talking, writing emails and documents, and maybe around 20-30% of your time coding. In most of the teams, you can work on interesting projects, but probably not revolutionary ones. Note that Amazon is a very down-to-earth company and the work is very down-to-earth as well. You will work on real things that people have actually requested for, and that people will start using as soon as you are done. Work is challenging but not to expect highly technically complex stuff. Most of the work has to do with solving everyday problems. To me, this seems to make sense because I have ever tried working on experimental projects before elsewhere and I did not feel it was a good use of my time.

Internal mobility is a key strength of Amazon, and I am not sure which company has done better than Amazon in this aspect. Internal moves are easy. You only need to stay in your team for a year before moving to a different team. There is no easy way to tell which team is a good team to move to because they all have their different pros and cons and people and coming and leaving all the time!

Seattle is by much rumour an easier place to live than the Bay area.

Overall Amazon is a tough but yet sane place to work. The flexibility of this company is really its core strength. You have the freedom to excel as much as you want and also to slack as much as you want. Bummer. You shouldn't be slacking!

Cons

Beware of bad managers and horrible team mates. They are not specific to Amazon but they do exist in Amazon.

I have to admit that Monday is usually a blue day at Amazon and it is very tough to look forward to getting into office. I don't know anyone in Amazon who looks forward to getting in on Mondays.

Be realistic about SDE requirements. Coding skills are good to have but they are not the most important part of your job. I think we are hearing the same thing from every company.

Medical coverage is average or below average. Expect to pay about $60 per month for singles and about $240 per month for families. $240 per month for families gives you $3000 in medical fees before you have to pay (more) anything out-of-pocket.

SDE advancement is unreal difficult. They have about 6 levels total, SDE 1-4, then Senior Principal Engineer, and finally Distinguished Engineer. The number of SDE 1s and 2s are huge. Trying to get to SDE 3 seems to be all-of-a-sudden extremely difficult, but not impossible. So this essentially means that if you come to Amazon as a fresh grad SDE, expect to get about only one or two promotions in your entire career, which obviously is quite a lame expectation and reality. You will probably do much better in your career advancement anywhere else.

Employee retention is horrible. I am not sure why the philosophy seems to be trying to undercut existing employees and then hire from external sources. Management all say that they are trying to retain people, but actions don't seem to suggest anything better. Rumour has it that annual pay raises are horrible. This basically mean that either you are a superstar in the company before they will try to retain you, or if you are smart you should not stay in Amazon for too long.

The thing about thinking long-term is getting more and more worrying as the company has not turned a tidy profit and is trying to conquer the world with its lofty expansion strategies. I don't know what kind of secret recipe management is cooking but seeing the company not making much money never feels comfortable.

Going to miss this.

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

I absolutely love working in an Amazon Fulfilment Center in Schertz, Tx. I will be sad indeed when seasonal peak is over and they start firing seasonal workers. All of the bosses are wonderful and really contribute to the team feeling you get there. The work is hard but at the end of the day you feel great about yourself.

Cons

The only major con is not really to do with amazon... During peak they hire so many people some are hard to work with but most of my coworkers have great positive attitudes. The only other is the long hours. It's exhausting work and an 11 hour shift leaves you tired.

Freedom and fast pace. Good tech. Management can be better.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can run your own agenda inside this company, there's a lot of freedom to try new ideas. There's a plethora of technology experts and internal services that enable you to build great things. There are tech talks all the time by senior engineers. If you have your own agenda, this is the place to go.

Amazon has built a great software toolbox for its own internal operations. A lot of tools are aimed at analytics. This is a data-driven company and the toolbox is there to empower this thinking. I really love that aspect of Amazon.

I haven't had any bureaucracy problems here. This is a lean company and logistics are very high-performing. IT support is fast and effective.

In Amazon, there's freedom, and that freedom is backed by the leadership principles. You can find them on the company's jobs website. This culture is extremely empowering. They ask you to be a leader, in writing. If you like to do so, you feel backed by the company's culture from the very first day.

The buildings are functional and comfortable. You can bring your dog, and there are kitchenettes in every floor. I like my workplace, it's just right for me.

The office culture looks cold. You don't talk to people unless you need to (including saying hi). This was shocking to me the first days, but now I got used to it and I'm starting to think that it's better to maintain focus.

Cons

Rather than a "con", this is the counterpart of the pros: everyone is busy running their own agenda, and so you need to care about yourself. In particular, you need to be able to back your decisions with data, solid arguments, or evident results.

Now, something that I really don't like is that my boss has been breaking a lot of promises and it looks like he doesn't care about it. That's something plainly bad. I just cannot trust my boss' word.

The food in the cafeterias is rather expensive.

Be ready to negotiate your salary. They will definitely try to save money. Don't undersell yourself.

Don't make breaking promises a policy and give your reports the time they deserve.

Maintain the data-based approach for measuring people's contribution. It's good and fair.

Your experience is based solely on your team, I got lucky

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Felt like I had a lot of real-world impact. My manager was one of few that knew how to treat interns as intelligent people, and gave me quite a bit of flexibility for my project. I'd recommend it in order to grow a career in the future, as I learned a lot.

Cons

Some perks would have been nice. Most tech companies offer this, and Amazon tries to drill into your head that frugality is key. While the compensation was nice and I'm not one to demand all of the silly things Google offers, if there was a daily lunch served, this would have made a big difference in my experience as an intern (not having to stress about cooking food everyday = better intern experience = better conversion rate).

Team also wasn't the most social one around, but hey it gave me more time for relaxing on the weekends I guess.

Find the right balance for your interns. Most of my friends were overworked. A difficult project can be rewarding, but it's gotta still be in scope for a college student who is still learning.

A few thoughts...

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Well run company. Learned a ton

Cons

Challenging environment. Satisfaction depends on you direct manager.

Editorial Manager

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon overall is a great place to work for! The benefits packages are exceptional. I have worked for several Fortune 500 companies and my health benefits are by far some of the best. I am pleased with the compensation packages and how they have progressed yearly as well. It is a fast paced work environment where creativity and hard work are rewarded, which I deeply appreciate. It is a great place to learn and grow your skills in an environment full of well-qualified leaders.

Cons

If you get a good team and good manager you will likely love Amazon. But in management you are stretched quite thin, so if you are at the point in your career where you need or expect coaching it will not happen. Amazon is a survival of the fittest type of atmosphere. Each year the bar is raised to weed out the weak. At first this was a challenge I loved. But then as you aspire to move up levels in the company it becomes a barrier, because you can change titles and clearly shoulder more and more responsibility, more and more projects yet they can state the bar for a promotion is out of reach so it becomes discouraging after all your effort. It is an atmosphere of leaders so in order to stand out you take on more projects to get noticed for promotions. Promotions in general are few and hard to come by unnecessarily which discourages you from staying at the company past a certain timeframe. There are many managers that truly have no idea how to manage people. I am truly glad I started my career in other companies that invest more in HR support prior to coming to Amazon as a people manager.

Good pay for easy entry level positions, but lots of hours.

Current Employee - Packer in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Packer in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of money without requiring a degree, never cuts hours.

Cons

Long days and mandatory overtime during holidays.

Good experience

Former Employee - Picker in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Picker in Allentown, PA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training was great
    Very welcoming, team environment
    Management did seem to care about the employees

Cons

Have to enter building through security, however, I understand why this is done