Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,043 ratings)

2,795 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You're surrounded by smart people who challenge you to grow constantly"
    in 264 reviews
  • "You learn a lot about leadership principles and how to manage people"
    in 78 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel"
    in 438 reviews
  • "Pathetic culture-no work life balance/poor pays shares are deceiving/Extremely political"
    in 100 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Recognition is non-existent, as with compensation

Facilities Service Technician (Current Employee)
San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsSchedule is a plus (4-10's) Company growth.

ConsManagement is amazingly inadequate and incompetent. HR privacy is non-existent. "Work Hard, Have Fun and Make History" should be re-written to read "Work Hard, Work Hard and Get Nothing"
Compensation is minimum. Raises do not keep up with cost of living (if you get a raise).

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the workers that make the business run.

Great "we want you to be happy" business for customers; frugal, "love it or hate it" for employees

Senior Vendor Manager (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros* Very strong focus on the customer (great but can be frustrating at times).
* Great business model and everyone knows the brand.
* Flat structure, no micromanaging / you are given a lot of ownership.
* Reasonable pay (esp. given the work you are doing - see below)
* Opportunity to cycle roles / departments every 18-24 months to keep developing / learning.

Cons* Amazon in the UK is a retail company rather than a tech company (don't fool yourself into thinking it's like Google or has a start-up mentality)
* VERY frugal business model e.g. horrible office in Slough and few meeting rooms which means (embarrassingly) you have to conduct external meetings in the cafeteria!
* It seems the US office has all the perks.
* Culture is real "love or hate" - generally quite bureaucratic and political. Very high churn - At interview, it was mentioned by different people repeatedly that people either stay for six months or 10 years (I stayed less than a year, although I know people who absolutely love it there - maybe the person you are or the department you work for?).
* Amazon operates a lean operating model, heavily reliant on systems and managers have no juniors.
* Real mix of people - some nice and hard-working but quite a few "coasting" doing the bare minimum which can mean it is difficult if you want to achieve and get things done and a few very incompetent / unpleasant / aggressive personalities that have been there for years and will never leave.
* Flat structure, which means that you can move sideways but difficult to get promoted / grow. Titles are essentially meaningless and misleading (you are responsible for entire role / no delegation so you spend all your time fire-fighting and little time (if any) growing the business. Senior Vendor Manager = buyer in any other retail organisation).
* No one seems to care how well you do and it has no effect on compensation. That, plus difficult environment (flat, political) for promotion means a poor incentive to work hard.
* Work is very systems / data-driven and can be extremely mundane (e.g. answering customer complaint cases (like back and forth supplier to Amazon customer care employee to supplier to customer care employee etc etc) .
* You're dumped in the deep end with a very sharp learning curve and no formal training other than you're expected to pick things up yourself or by asking people who have been there longer than you - would be fine ordinarily but there is no explanation of what you are actually meant to be doing (!!) and far too many systems with no explanations of how they work - No one takes accountability for new hires. Massively inefficient.
* Takes about 3 months to master a role and then mundane work for the rest of your time in that position. If you really want to work there and want to get ahead, try to get into a growing area otherwise you're forgotten / it's more of a caretaker role...

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you treat your customers?

Pull the Andon Cord....Recruiting is Broke

Senior Technical Recruiter (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsA good place to see what not to do as a professional recruiter....

ConsAmazon has way too many recruiters, recruiting leads, business partners and sourcers that just continue to rework old candidates in their system. Second, throwing resumes over to a manager when you have not spoken to the candidate or done a minimum qualification is a HUGE disservice and waste of time to managers. Thirdly throwing paper or what I would say are crap candidates at the manager to see what sticks is madness. The odd thing is that they say they are a data driven company but when I asked why are we surveying why people did not accept an offer they said it comes down to two things money or location but we all know if you do not ask you will never really know the truth. I was bullied and brow beaten to send candidates by my RBP when they were not qualified. When I would explain he would say "so what send them anyway". Finally their recruiting tools....OMG they are slow, always breaking down and just a huge mess that should be SEV 1 with Jeff Bezos full attention as Amazon is spending way too much money on recruiting....too many mindless stupid reports that do nothing to get quality candidates in the door and stop the bleed on the other end after people figure this place is just not a good career move. The talk about a flat org...BS this is a mess

Advice to Senior ManagementStop everything right now and fix the tools as they are redundant broken most of the time and too SLOW. There are ways to fix the tools, stop wasting mangers time with candidates that you have neither spoken to or can only verify they have a pulse.

AVOID WHERE POSSIBLE - ITS A DETENTION CAMP!

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)
Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- I could quit and had no ties to the company after 4yrs

*** PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid this place. The shares aren't worth is, the career progression is non-existent, the relocation packages and sign on bonuses are TRAPS***

Cons- Senior Management are absolute idiots, it's all about image and how good they look and not about mentoring and coaching their teams to be better
- It's all about who your drinking buddies are and whether you rub shoulders with VPs (promotions for women are next to impossible unless you do "favors")
- Horrible office environment, they recruit only MBAs which set absolutely unnecessary competitive environment that is not constructive
- Bullying is rampant at all levels, threats are constant, HR never respond to escalations and make your life even worse with legal threats
- Work life balance is non-existent. I was advised to find a better role if I want a life outside of my job.
- People have passed out on the floor from pure exhaustion ( i am not exaggerating). Go to Clausen at 8pm and you will see the offices still full of people. Its Ridiculous!!!
- Pay is awful

Advice to Senior ManagementI've tried to do this in terms that Amazonian "Leaders" will understand:

- "Think Big" - treat your employees better so that you don't have such high turnover. Focus on People Development rather than People Acquisition...
- "Bias for Action" - take action when you see people being bullied and do not ignore it
- "Dive Deep" - HR should investigate escalated issues and get to the bottom of the problem with "real" investigation
- "Frugality" - Sending Senior Management to meetings across the world when they aren't the subject mater experts in areas is nonsense. Send the people that know their stuff
- "Hire and develop the best" - stop compensating managers that do nothing and know nothing. Start looking at teams that have a high turnover of staff
- "Insist on highest standards" - do not accept bullying
- "Vocally self critical" - know when things have gone wrong and remedy them; instead of trying to pursue people with empty legal threats
- "Earn the trust of others" - Be more transparent
- "Deliver Results" - actually deliver some work instead of talking about the Jeff Letter CONSTANTLY
- "Customer Obsession" - Treat your employees like your customers and all would be resolved!
- "Invent and Simplify" - make better leadership principles because it appears that none of the senior management actually know what it means to be a "Leader" versus a "Junior Manager"

Software Engineer

Software Development Engineer II (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsFast paced, customer driving, smart coworker, cutting edge technology

ConsOn call duty, horrible management and work life balance. Avoid it if you have family, or don't enjoy firing people.

Amazon has potential

Digital Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time for more than a year

ProsAmazon has a great potential.

ConsAmazon has potential, but if you can think of "Pinky and the Brain", then well you've got an idea about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice wouldn't do much to change the management.

Not a great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amazon.com

ProsBig companies can have advanages

ConsManagement was overall very poor

No Comment.

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee)
Carlisle, PA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

ProsExtra few cents, for working overnight. ($13.00/hr)

ConsNo balance. No help. Broken equipment. Not enough equipment. No advancement training.

They have NO respect for their employees.

Associate, Ambassador Picker, Packer, Sorter Etc (Current Employee)
Charleston, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

ProsI would not suggest anyone to work for Amazon unless you want to be treated badly.

ConsIt is hard to get the production rate because everytime you turn around they are changing the pick paths so that it is harder for you to get rate. Once you get the rate in any department then they want to change thing so that you can't get the rate. They don't want their employees to work their long they just want temp employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to have respect for employees and you will get more and better work out of them.

Beware.

New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon.com

ProsGreat in theory but has potential

ConsFreelancers beware. Do not be fooled, this studio hires internally, and most of their full time workers and even freelancers are imports from Amazon's other studios. Once they get freelancers in, they eventually force them to teach full time employees to then later push out the freelancers. There is racism, sexism, and nepotism. This operation needs to be removed. Though amazon.com provides a viable marketplace for the .com gen of consumers, the work culture stinks. Beware, beware, beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 2,795 reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.