Amazon.com

3,944 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,671 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazon isn't all it's cracked up to be, unless you're an engineer you probably won't be happy

Current Employee - Sales Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

It looks good on a resume. The visibility of the company may allow you to catch the eye of recruiters in the future.

Cons

The management is arrogant and unprofessional, the seem unqualified. There is such a strong emphasis put on the engineering side of the business, and none on the biz dev side. They do not understand what a sales person needs to be successful, if you are interviewing for a "sales" what they really want is a telemarketer.

Take a management course! Where you went to college shouldn't matter when you are 40+ years old! Take the time to learn how to run your department, understand that engineering isn't the only component in a interactive advertising department/business.

Pay raise? You get stock!

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Name recognition. Free candy. Color printer. Coffee comes quickly and often. As it is required for someone to submit a comment that has a minimum of 100 words, a brief sentence to explain what is necessary can be used to do the needful. Run-on sentences comparing unnecessary aspects were popular in previous corporations where once I worked. How at this point can one bring oneself to reflect upon such experiences yet get some complication out of simplicity can boggle one's mind briefly.

Cons

Low pay. Very crappy technical support internally. Overburdened with life. The office decor is falling apart with disrepair.

Instead of yes men, give El honcho grande a dose of reality sometimes.

Long hours and low pay.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Lexington, KY

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

If you take advantage of the discounts, you can save a good bit of money. You definitely get recognised for doing good work and you can quickly earn respect throughout the company if you earn it. Comp time is easy to arrange if you have a decent manager.

Cons

60-80 hour work weeks are not uncommon during crunch times. You can usually take off a good chunk once the flames die down but Amazon would work you 24 hours a day if they could. Overall, IT staff are stretched thin and severely underpaid for what they are expected to accomplish.

Either hire more entry-level people that are quick learners to ease off on the hours of senior admins or pay people what they're worth. Long hours and low pay do not lead to high retention rates no matter how good it looks for the stock-holders bottom lines.

Amazon.com: great company to work for or GREATEST company to work for? ;)

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

It's an extremely open environment where communication is easy and people are very helpful. You know that you're surrounded by really smart and talented people, and everyone is very supportive and competent. The managers are technical and dependable. They do so many things that it's easy to find your niche, and the office environment itself is nice. At one of the office building you can bring pets with you to work. There's free tea and coffee, too. The layout is a mix of high walls, cubicles, and offices, which I think is neat. Breaks are encouraged for playing foosball and dodgeball and such. The best part is probably knowing that Amazon has so many great businesses that are executed with precise management. They really aren't evil, and are just a great competitive policy. Jeff B even has a policy of not talking publicly about competitors.

Cons

I would've liked more recreational errors. I know that's a Google-y thing to say, but I understand that they're trying to stick to a core value of frugality and I really dig that.

More foosball tables and dart boards and maybe video game areas for lunch breaks? =D Maybe some snacks in the kitchen, like fruits or granola bars. There are other companies who offer a couple of free meals each week so that would be really cool, too. And I wish I could buy corporate gear, because I really am proud to be a part of Amazon.com.

A fair website, but sucks as a place to work

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

You own your own work

Cons

Highly politicized. People are literally not important. Career development is a joke. There is only one upgrade path.

Failure in anything means a halt to upward movement. (I've seen great people stopped because of a relatively trivial error.)

Compensation is truly horrendous, and benefits are Scrooge-like.

Developers are a commodity, and work 80h weeks with oncall duty performing system maintenance.

This is the most seat-of-the-pants and blame-the-victim company I've ever worked for.

Hard work is not rewarded, because it's usually throwaway work.

Long-term planning is a joke.

What do you want to be as a company? How are the actions you take today related in any way to your future? Why do you discard great employees so easily? Why do you hire extremely talented people & then give them gruntwork to do?

About what you'd expect when you sell your soul. You get a good price for it though.

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Money, Money, Money, Money, Money

Cons

Working conditions (small cubes), tools available (one-size-fits-all computers don't really fit all sizes), competence of project managers (disorganized, no formal requirements setting), the need to maintain your own systems (nighttime and weekend calls/pages), lack of testers, lack of support staff. Basically, engineers are highly skilled web developers and system administrators. The compensation scheme also doesn't put much emphasis on performance, so the compensation is pretty similar if you did a good job or a bad. And people who are jerks, who don't get along with anyone and disrupt teams, aren't handled. They stick around forever.

Faster turnaround on evaluations, and put more emphasis on performance when determining compensation -- maybe move to larger bonuses (immediate bonuses -- 2-year-away stock doesn't count). Realize that a significant percentage of the best developers in the industry change jobs every 2-3 years. Make Amazon a place they want to stop in.
    Give developers more freedom to get more tools. You spend over 150K/year on them, but won't give them another gig of RAM? or a third monitor?
    Invest in TPMs. They need to be technical and understand requirements.
    Make it easier to get rid of people.
    Why can't we have more webdev's to do html?
    Why do most of us have pagers and not support staff who aren't developers?
    Why don't we have more testers?

I can't believe I get paid to do what I love!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Amazon.com has endless opportunities, not only for career advancement but for breadth of opportunities. In fact, they have a new shoe and handbag store called endless.com, check it out. Not to mention, amazonfresh.com (grocery delivery), smallparts.com (hardware store for R&D), web services for enterprise clients (target.com, sears.ca, etc.) and just about everything else on amazon.com.

Cons

It's tough to stay focused on one career path with so many different competing opportunities.

Senior Management needs to get in the trenches every once in a while to truly understand the challenges we face with the customer. The manager that do this always seem to have the best perspective of what we are dealing with everyday.

Amazon a hard working and performance based rewards company

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Amazon is an excellent place to work if you are driven and enjoy a fast paced and rewarding career with excellent upside potential. I like it how performance is rewarded with increased responsibiliites and stock based awards. The company is truely customer centric and is continuing to strive toward a better customer experience in all aspects.

Cons

It has very long hours and sometimes difficult to have a good worklife balance. Goals are very aggressive and there are expectations of weekend work.

Maintain the aggressive stance but understand the impact on work hours.

Not. Getting. Better.

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

getting to work on massive scale; seeing how the whole process works; there really is a lot of ownership given to smart developers and teams, with mostly fairly little oversight. You are surrounded by smart and passionate engineers, for the most part, who have choices and want to be there.

Cons

no concern whatsoever for work v. personal life, with the examples starting from the VP level on down; developers spend much more time supporting legacy systems than writing new code; pager duty is unpredictable and can be nightmarish, inducing Stockholm Syndrome; more politics every year that make the place genuinely not fun to put your head down and do good work.

what's the point? there's no evidence they listen.

Amazon.com - a challenging environment where the sky is the limit

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

innovative projects
    darn smart people everywhere
    you will learn a lot
    data is king
    SDE's rule

Cons

employees are treated like a commodity
    few perks
    competitive
    salaries only average and you have to practically beg to get a bump

treat employees as well as you treat your customers and you'd be better off