Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
Employer Engaged

Worst company I ever worked for!!!!

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

The company is famous and will probably help you in getting your next job.

Cons

Every day will be painful and scary..absolutely no work-life balance..This company is a living example of hell..stay away..Unless you are a fresher, do not join this shithole of a company. Before joining this company I heard that it was very infamous but I never believed them. Wow, I was so wrong, this is even worse than what you can expect in your dreams.

Look after your employees. In the long run, it does not help you if people keep quitting on you. Hiring from another city and paying moving cost, so that the employee gets stuck will probably force him to stay in this hell for a year but you wont be able to stop him from quitting.

Amazon was a great employer back when it first started but after 15 years w the company it has turned to crap.

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

not really very many pros working for them anymore. they have good benefits but monthly bonus and give aways and discount has dropped.

Cons

Upper management is usually fresh out of college. No chance of moving up w out degree

No Work Life Balance, No Recognition, No Leadership

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Definite leaders in customer satisfaction. Amazon has even surpassed Disney. If you are an Amazon customer, you can bear witness of this.

Several opportunities and groups. People can make lateral moves with support from their superiors.
    Interesting approach of conducting meetings with no Power Point presentations, but rather having everyone spend 15 minutes reading a 6 page document, then everyone having a very productive 45 minute discussion.

Purchases made at Amazon can be delivered at lockers under your building, which is very convenient. No employee discounts, though.

Orca card can be useful, as parking is limited and super expensive in South Lake Union and downtown Seattle.

Best interview experience in the sense that it was quick, very well organized and recruiter kept me very well informed from beginning to end (very hard interviews, though).

Cons

No work life balance: Long hours, several midnight launches scheduled even on major holidays and weekends, and no extra days off to compensate. On call 7 days a week every few weeks. Working from home even occasionally, is not well seen.

Frugality is a company value, but they take it to the extreme. If you need a headset because your job requires several phone calls, you have to purchase it. I needed Visio because my job requires several diagrams, and I was told to draw them by hand instead. T&E below the industry, you end up putting money out of your pocket on business trips.

Being self critical is another company value, but leadership understands it as only providing negative feedback, not acknowledging achievements, and disregarding wins. With time this becomes discouraging and frustrating.

Following the example of many managers and directors, people tend to be confrontational and destructive. People confuse being professionally aggressive with being aggressive at each other. Never in 25 years I have heard so many people cursing in meetings and even worse, trying to publicly embarrass their peers when they disagree.

Very high turnaround. In my group, 12 people have left in just five months. This increases the workload even more for the ones still left.

Very hard for people who care about their families to succeed. Especially moms with young kids have a very hard time meeting their goals. If their kids get sick, they get whines for having to work from home. If you care about your family and dream of working in Amazon, think it twice. Seriously.

Look in YouTube for the documentary the BBC produced with a hidden camera in the UK fulfilment center. You will get an idea of how little employees are valued in this company.

Promote a culture of respect. People can be open, but should always be respectful. Eliminate this culture of bringing people down and of embarrassing the ones you disagree with instead of keeping a healthy dialogue. Be frugal, but not cheap. Realize your success is at the expense of many people who leave hurt and frustrated. Be more flexible with people who has to work from home, technology nowadays allows for a very productive telecommuting, as many companies have demonstrated.

Stress, long hours, disappointing pay

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of experience quickly

Cons

Pretty much everything else not listed above.

Respect the time of employees, pay in cash, not stock that goes down.

Don't work there

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

No good thing about amazon

Cons

Work life balance, non ethical treatment of employees

Recruiting and HR - just say no! Work someplace else!

Former Employee - University Recruiting
    Former Employee - University Recruiting

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

+Learn an insane amount in a short period of time - feel like I crammed 2 years of education into a few months
    +There are a small number of awesome and nice people here
    +Dogs make everything better.
    +People outside of the company respect that you worked there, so it can be a good stepping stone

Cons

I had reservations about Amazon coming in (partially from Glassdoor reviews, partially from friends who left). Needless to say, the negativity exists for a reason.
    -Chaos - Every day there is a new fire to fight and you have to drop everything to deal with it, even if it's not your fault. It is impossible to be organized and everything is done last minute.
    -Burnout - On my very first week at this job, I worked 65 hours. Things just continued to get worse and I averaged 75-80 hours a week for the majority of my time there. Weekends became a great time to catch up on mounds of emails, weekdays were long (730 AM - 10, 11 PM), and you won't be pleasant when you actually see your family. Over the course of my 3 months on the team, 35% of the team quit. That says something.
    -Poor middle management - Yes, they are also overwhelmed and overworked. But when you come on board as a new employee and literally receive NO training whatsoever, just a 5 page piece of paper with names of people to contact and websites to visits, that is concerning. And when you tell them you are overwhelmed, there isn't much they can do about it since there is so much work to be done and people are quitting all the time.
    -A very bro-ish culture that tolerates and even celebrates bigots and generally terrible people

-Work life balance does not exist, and employees don't feel appreciated even though they work long hours.
    -Honestly, I can't imagine the management likes it here either. It's a toxic culture.

Never the same once Zappos management transitioned to Amazon

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bring A Part of Innovation Recognized Worldwide

Cons

Work/Family/Life Balance was Non-Existent
    Watching an Incredible Zappos Culture be Destroyed Day-by-Day
    Amazon Treated Former Zappos Employees Like Step Children

Realize that employees are as important as customers.

Finance Manager / Sr. Financial Analyst - AWS Finance team --- Stay away!!

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Probably the only team in Amazon with no pros of working in the team except if you have existing strong ties to sr. management of AWS finance team

Cons

Worst team you would ever work for and I am not even exaggerating. Senior people in this group are sadists and are known to be most difficult to work with throughout other Amazon teams that this group interacts with.

I left the team myself in 2014 after 2 years (miserable years). Probably the highest turnover of employees i have ever seen anywhere and this group or HR doesn't care as they think they can just use and throw people however they like. During my tenure itself at least 15-17 employees resigned (including 4-5 that were fired for no clear reasons). In fact, all the girls (around 10 when i started) in this group resigned, except 1-2 that they hired again and the reason is they don't treat them with respect at all. They in fact almost torture them mentally and i have seen literally someone crying every week. Seniors would blame you for their own mistake, take credit of the work that you are doing and will never offer you a promotion or good revier, however hard / smart you may work. People used to say it is a concentration camp internally. Irony is that this group is headed by a female who is probably the most sadist person you would ever meet.

This group has no culture whatsoever or one can say has a poisonous culture that would ruin your health mentally and physcially. The senior managers and above have their own team events and don't invite any junior folks to those events. They in fact call junior employees from these parties to make fun of them by shouting on phone while the other senior employees listen. Above is just an example and tip of an iceberg that people experience in this group.

The hiring philosophy of this group is to use and throw in 1-2 years. Stay away from this group and just email any former member of this team on LinkedIn to get feedback if you want to hear more details.

Senior managers and above are the most sadist people in industry. Please take the feedback from people leaving in the group seriously as the current employees would never speak up given risk to their careers. These guys could easily invite a harassment suit.

Concentrate on keeping the existing employees and find out why there is so much attrition in this time before bringing new people and spoiling their lives.

Twisted culture, bright if awkward colleagues

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

- Smart, if socially awkward/challenged colleagues
    - Great to have on your resume.
    - Brutal culture of unofficial but very much alive stacked ranking.

Cons

- Everything requires data; all data requires SQL.
    - Training = do it yourself.
    - Irrationally frugal.
    - The organization is NOT flat -each level has multiple 'sub-levels'
    - Company makes no profit and hasn't -writing might be on the wall.

Years of service, promoted, re-orged, kicked to the curb

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At high levels (L7), top 20% of people make a killing.

Cons

No real vacation (even away from the office, still tied to the SmartPhone mail and pager app)
    "Vocally Self Critical" often means "Hang Yourself"
    Becoming a Big, Slow, Political Company with growth

Amazon internally is a negative place, and it's perceived as better to make a "hard" decision (e.g. I held this guy accountable and fired him) vs owning and solving the problem (e.g. I didn't set up this guy to succeed, here's why, here's how I'm fixing it). While the stock growth enables the company to continue to treat employees badly, when Amazon turns into a value company (which it likely will do sooner vs later...) they risk turning into the next Microsoft.