Amazon.com Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
4521 reviews filtered by

Great business model, with good customer centric services.

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is extremely lucrative.

Cons

You will work longer hours than you ever thought possible. For two months proceeding Christmas, you will work 7 days a week, and often 12 hour days. This company attracks type A individuals and internal metrics often pit good people against one another because of competing goals.

Stop tolerating verbally abusive treatment with operations managers and directors in the company. There is no reason why people deserve to be treated like that.

Depending on solely 1 person's (lowest rank, mediocre mentor) extremely subjective evaluation in short time period.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

New, clean place. Close to downtown Seattle.

Cons

Inadequate, flawed and unsound management.

Not worth to give an advice.

Toxic management

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, young atmosphere, good base pay for sales, Amazon provides great name recognition

Cons

Huge letdown, overly and overtly political, toxic management, lack of loyalty from Amazon for its employees, concerns of employees are minimized and not addressed leaving negativity to fester, management has unrealistic expectations for sales goals without providing tools, asks sales people to hit a tough quota AND do a lot of side work and projects on top, management is disjointed, huge delusional egos at play, lack of follow through from management, management actually picks on employees, HR is a joke... could go on.

The leadership principles: management frequently uses it to push their agenda, and the meanings can change according to the situation, causing these principles to lose all meaning.
    Amazon Local has lost A LOT of its best, brightest and most talented people due to the complete lack of proper management and is left with the slackers and people who can't find or are too lazy to find other jobs. People come to Amazon with high hopes and are beat up on a daily basis by disingenuous, manipulative, bullying and bordering on narcissistic managers who are trying to make a name for themself quite transparently at the BIG NAME company.
    Will promise you career opportunities if you will just do X,Y and Z, "raise the bar" the #1 WORN OUT motto at Amazon (which translates to "sell your soul, drink the kool-aid and do everything I tell you to", however you will never see any kind of promotion because by the way, you're just a level 4, you have to get to a level 5 by the way... (what is this SCIENTOLOGY??)
    Employees are pressured to drink the kool aid or are branded as negative if they don't go along with the pushed down from the top narrative. If you like being political, enjoy playing "the game" and don't mind kissing butt to get ahead, then you will honestly like it at Amazon Local.
    The good news is people who have left AL keep in touch because it was such an ordeal, and there is a pretty strong networking group outside for ex-Amazonians :)

Great if you live to work...otherwise stay away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Jeff Bezos is a retail and operations genius. I am confident that the company will continue to be successful. You can learn a lot in a very short time. There are many talented, high caliber colleagues that you can learn from.

Cons

Management promotes an aggressive culture that leads to stressful environment. Most long time Amazonions are not very pleasant people to be around. Amazon employees have very high turnover. Teams are intentionally understaffed to promote frugality. Amazon employees have no work/life balance. You are triple invested in the Amazon stock (salary, stock options and 401k are dependent on Amazon success). Compensation is good, benefits are terrible.

Quit treating your employees like commodities. At some point your turnover rate will hurt the business if it hasn't already. It is hard to find talent to bring to Amazon because of the high dissatisfaction among employees.

No compassion for employees above entry level

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

The idea of Amazon, is far better than the reality. I've been with amazon for more than 10 years and can cleanly say the only advantage is that they arent going anywhere.

Cons

Managers are "Force Ranked" meaning at each site a predetermined amount of managers will HAVE to be listed as "Development needed". These unfortunates are then denied raises, the ability to move anywhere else in the company, and are then performance managed out.

Raises are less than 1%. The bulk of your raise will be in stocks ( based on current sell price) which take 2 years to vest. Ofcourse almost no managers make it past 1.5years. This year we found out Amazon decided to stop paying managers quarterly bonuses. Luckily they replaced it with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Managers are not supported day to day. I'm currently in charge of over 200 people. Some managers only have 30. The expectations are the same for all mangers.... In other words though I have 100 times more associates, each with their own issues in need of my attention. The day to day objectives are the same for me for both managers.

Work life balance is non existent.

Managers are quitting in droves. Think very seriously before you apply.

Happy managers lead to better associate engagements. Pay people what they're worth today. Not in two years. Job level these roles.

Great company, terrible managers

Former Employee - Human Resource Assistant in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resource Assistant in Coppell, TX

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

You get to work with the smartest people in the industry. Everyone is degree'd which may or may not be a "Con" too.

Cons

No work-life balance, they expect your entire life to revolve around the company. Complete devotion with no rewards to you.

Stop hiring kids out of college with no managerial experience to be managers. There was no development and worst of all, everyone is pitted against each other. So much for "team work."

The company does not know what to ask from you

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

decent pay for an intern

Cons

As I arrived on the first day. I don't have anything set up, no desk, no computer, NOTHING. Manager did not do his job I guess.
           I qualifies all things I listed on my resume and passed the interview process with no problem. Yet the project I got has nothing to do with my background and I just worked on it as a green.
           Mentorship is a joke. Every time I was to ask a question, he told me to figure it on my own like I figured out the last question. But in the end they criticize on the way I came up to solve the problems.
           Manager cannot care less about you since they are trying to get a promote themselves. We were having weekly one-on-ones. He gives no opinion on how am doing even when I ask but dump a really bad review on me about everything I can think of during the final review meeting.
    REALLY MATURE.....
           Coworkers pretend not knowing you but won't hesitate to make a joke involving you.
           Huge office where people just yell across the room as they don't want to get up from their chair and take a few steps.

Recently cut Manager Wages. Force ranking not based on performance.

Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Looks good on a resume.

Cons

There is NO training provided. New AM's spend a week talking about how awesome Amazaon is before being wisked away to their site. Once there they spend a week learning whats it's like to be an associate in lots of departments. After that you are handed a team and a computer. No training is given on the tools / metrics you need to do your job. No explanation of your department is provided.

Amazon recently removed VCP (variable compensation pay) from managers. VCP is a bonus based on productivity. Annual raises are less than 1% even for top performers. 15ish% of your pay is given in stocks which do not vest for 2 years. Average AM's do not last more than 1.5 years, especially because of their system of "force Ranking" Managers.

You could have met all your deliverable, and even improved year over, and still be force ranked into development needed, denied a raise, or stocks, or worse. Lose your job. Why? Because as part of Amazon.coms Leadership review process, a set percentage of managers working at a given site MUST be listed as development needed and denied a wage increase. Then begins the soul crushing experience of performance management. Managers at Amazon do not have enough time in their day to complete their deliverable as it is. The Manager to associate ratio is, in some cases 4-500 to 1. Performance management doubles the number of weekly / daily deliverable you have to complete, and it lasts as long as 3 months.

Lastly, at Amazon the associate is king. Amazon associates are given a daily survey question about their manager. The results of which are used to determine your popularity. There are no expectations regarding conduct for associates. Associates blame managers for their own performance issues, and are allowed to verbally insult you without repercussion. I my self have been openly threatened in front of my manager, and hr staff and then coached on how I might have handled avoided upsetting the associate.

I believe managers have an obligation to continue to find comfortable ways to discuss their associates performance with them... But a the end of the day, you are telling someone they're failing, and they should not be allowed to verbally abuse you, but here its tolerated.

Pay people what they're worth in real time. Dont make managing hundreds of people a popularity contest. Right size the associate to manager ratio. Train managers in the tools they need to do their job.

It sucked!

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

4 hour days...Too many spanish speaking individuals that did not understand english

Cons

4 hour days...Too many spanish people that spoke no english.

Learn to communicate

AWS - Sr. Financial Analyst / Finance Manager - Stay away!

Former Employee - Finance Manager / Sr. Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager / Sr. Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None and I am completely serious. AWS is the leader in industry but this team is the worst team in Amazon, so dont let AWS name dupe you into accepting anything with AWS finance team. Overall Amazon as a company is really good and you can get an awesome experience learning in a growing environment. But AWS Finance is not worth wasting your career on as the people you will work with are some of the worst, most evil people you will ever come across in your professional life

Cons

AWS Finance team is the worst team at Amazon. Below are the facts:

(1) Highest attrition rate at Amazon - There is ranking done every year by HR to check attrition in various teams. This team is always the worst ranked team in this ranking. Not the second or third from bottom but literally at the bottom. HR will never tell you that of course but you can check with former employees who left this group

(2) Beyond worst team for girls - In 2014 when i was part of this team (left for much better opportunity now), i saw myself 8 girls leaving this team and the ones remaining were on the brink of collapse. Again email any former girls in this team to verify. Every single girl who left this team will tell you that it is a mental harassment to stay in this team

(3) How you can verify above? - All positions in this team are always open from finance manager to financial analyst as they can't retain anyone, except if you are one of the sadist/psycho person yourself. Anyone good in this team is looking for job themselves desperately. The culture driven by management of this team is to use and throw the employees as they think Amazon name will let them hire again. This has changed now as they get known throughout Amazon now as a 'concentration camp'

Here's why this team is worst -

(1) No respect for their sub-ordinates - They consider them slaves esp. girls.

(2) They will call you names. I was amazed the kind of language they use to abuse sub-ordinates. Makes one think why there never have been a lawsuit filed against this team

(3) Team culture is driven by the mood of 2-3 senior people who have compete control over this team. HR or senior management cant see it or have decided to fully ignore it

(4) Highly abusive - Mentally and verbally. I am being repetitive but this is extremely important

(5) People love to take credit of your work in this team. Some people (2-3) literally don't do anything because they are protected by favoritism and just take every opportunity to take credit of your work

(6) You will never get promoted in this team. Also you would never get a good rating from this team. - Amazon allows you to switch internally after a year if you have a good rating. This team will never allow that to happen. And the way they do it is by crushing your rating and along with that your spirit.

I can't reveal any specific examples here to protect my anonymity but again if you have any doubts/questions on above shoot an email to a former member of this team (and i mean ANY who worked in 2013/14) and they would confirm everything said above. Any position in this team is not worth your time and effort.

Finally, this is one team I would not recommend even my enemy to join! I hope that conveys the message.

You are losing some of the best talent in this group at junior level. If you are actually smart you will figure out that the problem is at senior level i.e. at Senior Manager and Director level. You will take swift action else I am afraid you are ruining Amazon's name. Although, I have zero confidence that you will ever act. 80-90% attrition in a team would even make a fool think something is wrong but not AWS finance management / HR.