Amazon.com Reviews

Reset

1. Too hectic and workaholic company

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I

Pros

working with large system across the globe

Cons

hectic schedule and no work life balance

Advice to Management

be more caring for employees

2. Great place to learn

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com (Less than a year)

Pros

- Being my first (and hopefully, not my last) time in a "big company", I realized what the fuss was all about. The people are incredibly smart, and that drives you to do better. - Great work environment... small teams, more productivity. Scrums are a great way of ensuring that no one in the team gets stuck in an issue. - Flexible hours (you'll mostly work longer than 8 hours a day though)

Cons

- Sometimes, the work gets a bit too stressful - Developer machines are pathetic (especially the Windows ones). This issue is slowly being addressed, and hopefully will not be an issue for too long. - No pay for working overtime.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job, but please upgrade the machines (at least, for the developers).

3. Great place to learn quickly

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a great place to start your career. You are expected to learn quickly and constantly and always kept on your toes.

Cons

In some teams the workload can be extreme, and people burn out quickly. Do your research and make sure your team isn't one of the high-stress ones before you sign an offer.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more focus on maintaining talent. Certain teams burn people to the ground with their high expectations. It would be in the interest of the company to reduce employee turnover.

5. Wonderful place to work.

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Ownership of your work. You're encouraged to take charge and take as much responsibility as you're willing to take. It's pretty fantastic. Most places are extremely risk averse, Amazon isn't.

Cons

If you're not able to manage your own risk, you'll need to fall back on your teammates if you bite off more than you can chew. You also should be willing to take feedback without an ego.

Advice to Management

Continue your benefits and compensation packages and you wouldn't lose as many candidates to other companies. Your culture is unique, but it's a shame that you're willing to lose out on talent.

6. The Amazon culture...

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Amazon.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

will be exposed to both smart&dumb retail business details.

Cons

Employees experience double standards across the company. You are unlikely to get a bonus or raise if you do not give them a competing offer. And you might be blamed for trying to leave them for money. Ridiculus.

Advice to Management

No more double standards ! ! !

7. Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Berlin (Germany)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Berlin (Germany)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Great place to develop your career. Excellent, supportive coworkers and extremely interesting work. Business rules that are followed internally, rather than just being something leadership teams come up with and everyone else pays lip service to. Huge stock bonuses which doubled in between the time I signed and my first day. Promising future and many amazing products in the pipeline.

Cons

Stock price fluctuations keep life interesting. Some (external) people have a negative outlook on the working conditions.

Advice to Management

I love working here, but there seems to be a large disconnect between the public's perception of what it's like to work here and the reality. Make some changes so that our customers feel comfortable that they're ordering from a company that treats its employees well.

8. Not too shabby.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lots of opportunity, nice city, a lots of dogs. Great people. Grow fast. Massive scale. A lots to learn.

Cons

I don't know, just joined for 6 month ago, everything seems fine now. No free food, have to go out and spend 1 hour (plus 10$) for lunch.

9. Software Development Manager III

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Super smart people and the freedom to work on tough engineering problems.

Cons

Chaotic and frequently confrontational. Unless you get very aggressive about your own career growth; others who less competent but appear to be retention risk will pass you by. Different orgs seem to have a different bar for promotions and it seems to be driven by the level of desperation in retaining talent in a particular org than a pure merit based system.

Advice to Management

Focus on training your managers in aspects of people management in addition to product/project management.

Great Company

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Company actually makes product decisions based on what's best for customers. Decision making is based around rational arguments (usually written docs). People actually follow the leadership principles instead of making decisions based on personal biases.

Cons

Have to move to Seattle to be in main office. Be in SLU is nice, but if you want to drive you'll have to join a waitlist for a company parking spot.

M

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great impact- ur work reaches couple hundred million people Good for fresh grads who can give it all and sacrifice their personal life

Cons

No real mentorship- New joinees have to find their way out, extremely lofty goals, expected to think of ways to solve on commute/shower. This was something my manager often communicated hinting at taking up stuff beyond tightly planned scrum deadlines. No room for unexpected delays due to inter team integration issues- get chastised in appraisal for the same. Felt like a unsatiable task master, I used to work from 10:30am to 10pm every day and i clearly fell short since i didn't work on the weekends or was not smart enough.

Advice to Management

Please have empathy towards employees-Yes they are humans

Showing 991 of 6,006 reviews