Amazon.com

3,960 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,681 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great company. Lots of intelligent people. Tons of opportunity to work on different products and GTM strategies.

Cons

Slow promotions, very political hierarchy. Management is too busy to develop anyone and you find yourself taking on as many projects as possible just to get noticed.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Lot of challenging tasks. Working around very smart people and learning a lot.

Cons

Work life balance can be tough.

It was a very fun experience

Current Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Middletown, DE
    Current Employee - Amazon Warehouse Worker in Middletown, DE

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good job easy to get in

Cons

Cant use doctor notes they will fire you if you come in with on and have no time to use. Management favortism. I mean thats everywhere my amazon is bad with.

Learn what you are doing

Amazon.com Warehouse Associate (Pick, Pack, Rebin, Wrange, Tranship, SLAM)

Current Employee - Slam Operator in Hebron, KY
    Current Employee - Slam Operator in Hebron, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work environment, opportunities to work your way up, and learn new things.

Cons

The shifts can be 11 hours for 5 days a week during the "Peak" (Christmas) Season.

Please Take our advise and suggestions more seriously. We work these processes every day, and know them very well. Our input should be of the utmost importance.

Good for starter

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-pace, cutting edge technology, the company-wide training and on boarding program is very good for junior dev. The company has a very unique way to do business.

Cons

Work life balance is bad, not recommended for someone with a family and kids.

Great place to work

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

flexibility, stimulation, smart people, high paced environment where you can make decisions and be an actor of the company's growth

Cons

high workload, have to be willing to be scruffy at times to get work done

This is a company that is growing each day

Current Employee - Human Resources in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary is very competitive compared to many other companies.

Cons

Long hours and work/life balance is the one con that I feel is the biggest issue.

Worked in AWS. It was a very good learning experience. The team was very open and supportive.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good Compensation
    Seattle is a lovely place
    The management is rather open to your ideas
    You get the freedom to work the way you want

Cons

Work life balance is a little skewed to the work side

Sr. Human Resource Assistant

Former Employee - Senior Human Resource Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resource Assistant

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would recommend, but with strong hesitancy:

-Straight out of college I made $50k with no experience in Human Resources. Heck, my degree was in liberal arts. Very few of my peers could say the same.

-If you want to see different places, Amazon has a lot of different locations around the US and transfers are pretty commonplace.

-You will meet enthusiastic, intelligent people who you will learn to love like family.

-You will grow an incredible amount professionally, I do appreciate what Amazon did for me professionally. I went from a Sr. Human Resource Assistant position at Amazon to a Human Resources Manager position at another company after my stay with Amazon.

Cons

-Zero work/life balance. Do you have children? Are you married? If you answered yes, look somewhere else. You will virtually never see your children and/or your spouse. I know mothers and father who were constantly torn between family and career, don't do that to yourself, no paycheck is worth it.

-High turnover in HR and in other departments is a definite discouragement.

-They say you can take personal time at "any time" but for Human Resources, that is a joke. Unless you are sick/doc appt/car trouble, you will be guilted into coming in every day except for the precious 7-10 days you take off for vacation. I used my personal time for coming in 10 min late every day for several weeks because I knew I was never going to take off a whole day and I was reprimanded.

-You will be expected to do in 40 hrs a week what should really take 50-55 hrs a week. I was hourly but I regularly took my computer home to work on work without pay.

-They do tell you upfront that you will work the holidays, I was told that in my first interview. But, you have to work the holidays. You will learn to semi-dread the holidays.

-I received little to no training coming into my role. I've heard they're finally setting something up, but Amazon is like nowhere you've ever worked before, and a 2-3 week training is quite simply, never going to be enough.

-Running lean will only get you so far until you've exhausted your employees. Human Resources doesn't have the resources (ha!) to do their job adequately, mostly in the realm of sufficient manpower. \

-Personal growth: Really really difficult to change out of your position or get into another track unless you hound upper management that an Amazon coworker of a coworker who's boss occasionally pings someone in upper management. Make it more streamlined and offer more variety, especially to those in fulfillment centers.

Worked hard. Did not have fun. I'm history!

Former Employee - Machine Learning Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Machine Learning Scientist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazon thinks big and dives deep. They are willing to pay big bucks for the right people that can get the job done. The hiring process is borderline neurotic, so almost all employees are there to work hard. Jeff Bezos, the CEO is also the founder. He is a brilliant guy.

Cons

They are first and foremost an online retailer. Product development takes second place. The most frustrating element is the middle management. Most of them are workaholics that are never satisfied with anything anyone ever does. Some companies expect your professional life to take precedence before your personal life. At Amazon, people do not have personal lives. They're always working. Most employees only last one year. There is a high amount of turnover. The management knows that you will eventually burn out, so they stoke the fires to get as much out of you until you quit. The most frustrating part is that Jeff Bezos loves to experiment and try new things, but the middle management hates it. Many employees have a mindset that Amazonians are superior to other people outside the company. That gets in the way of hiring people that can do things they cannot do. The people at Amazon are very proud and not in a good way!

Amazon is getting too big. They are trying to do so many things, they cannot possibly expect to be good at everything. Inside the company, feudal kingdoms are starting to coalesce. There are factions forming within software development, customer service, etc. Your middle management does not know what it is doing and refuses to listen to the people they hire to develop new things. That is a recipe for disaster! The Microsoft way of racking and stacking employees based on feedback from peers is not working.