Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
Employer Engaged

Great if you live to work...otherwise stay away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Jeff Bezos is a retail and operations genius. I am confident that the company will continue to be successful. You can learn a lot in a very short time. There are many talented, high caliber colleagues that you can learn from.

Cons

Management promotes an aggressive culture that leads to stressful environment. Most long time Amazonions are not very pleasant people to be around. Amazon employees have very high turnover. Teams are intentionally understaffed to promote frugality. Amazon employees have no work/life balance. You are triple invested in the Amazon stock (salary, stock options and 401k are dependent on Amazon success). Compensation is good, benefits are terrible.

Quit treating your employees like commodities. At some point your turnover rate will hurt the business if it hasn't already. It is hard to find talent to bring to Amazon because of the high dissatisfaction among employees.

Provide onsite medical care for all warehouse associates.

Former Employee - Onsite Medical Representative in Campbellsvlle, KY
    Former Employee - Onsite Medical Representative in Campbellsvlle, KY

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Office setting. Very low stress environment.

Cons

Low pay. No adrenalin rush.

No compassion for employees above entry level

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

The idea of Amazon, is far better than the reality. I've been with amazon for more than 10 years and can cleanly say the only advantage is that they arent going anywhere.

Cons

Managers are "Force Ranked" meaning at each site a predetermined amount of managers will HAVE to be listed as "Development needed". These unfortunates are then denied raises, the ability to move anywhere else in the company, and are then performance managed out.

Raises are less than 1%. The bulk of your raise will be in stocks ( based on current sell price) which take 2 years to vest. Ofcourse almost no managers make it past 1.5years. This year we found out Amazon decided to stop paying managers quarterly bonuses. Luckily they replaced it with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Managers are not supported day to day. I'm currently in charge of over 200 people. Some managers only have 30. The expectations are the same for all mangers.... In other words though I have 100 times more associates, each with their own issues in need of my attention. The day to day objectives are the same for me for both managers.

Work life balance is non existent.

Managers are quitting in droves. Think very seriously before you apply.

Happy managers lead to better associate engagements. Pay people what they're worth today. Not in two years. Job level these roles.

Former Employee - Rissk Analyst
    Former Employee - Rissk Analyst

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

It was an Innovative culture with opportunities for Growth within the organization, if you dedicate a number of hours for the company

Cons

It was very stressful and had no national holidays too

Working with this company has helped me to grow in leadership considerably.

Current Employee - Freight Scheduler in Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Freight Scheduler in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership progression is very high within this company.

Cons

The pay as a tier 1 associate is very low compared to any and all leadership positions.

good benefits

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

great job for young emplotees

Cons

from a former employee that was a very dedicated, did my job correctly, the way I was taught, just not fast enough for to keep my "NUMBERS" up, even tho, before I helped out as a "Andon Associate" during peak, actually I would DO ANYTHING that was ask of me. FIRST , packed orders how they were suppose to be packed for "Our Customers", because that's how Amazon keeps in business SECOND stowed products how they were suppose to, which includes, putting product in the correct bin, putting BOOKS, which is how Amazon started in Jeff Bezos garage, Upright, not laying down, not in small bins with the pages beginning destroyed cause of improper stowing, but that's what Amazon all about, NUMBERS, and awarding employees for their IMPROPER packing and stowing, not the employees well-being
    Really, all I wanted was, to go where I was strong at, by my resume, have a "LOT" of receiving

LOOK at how warehouse are ran

Producer - freelancer

Former Employee - Producer - Photo Studio
    Former Employee - Producer - Photo Studio

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

compensates rates well, innovative, unique experience from industry leader ( a plus to have on resume)

Cons

competitive, cut-throat, limits freelancers from too much internal information. difficult to be efficient and manage expectations

10+ years, several groups and projects

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

On the right team and project, Amazon is a great place to work. Extremely talented people, and interesting problems. Amazon leans heavily towards investing in the long term which means it explores some fascinating areas and makes big bets. Think of it as a well funded VC firm funding many startups (AWS, Amazon Instant Video, Amazon Fresh, etc.)

Cons

As it grows, Amazon is becoming more "corporate". Also, oncall responsibilities can be a burden on the wrong team.

Fun

Current Employee - Receiver in Ruskin, FL
    Current Employee - Receiver in Ruskin, FL

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Laid back. Nice pay. Fun. Great management.

Cons

Long shifts. Always on your feet. Very big building.

None. Keep up the awesome work. Don't change how you do things.

Great company, terrible managers

Former Employee - Human Resource Assistant in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resource Assistant in Coppell, TX

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

You get to work with the smartest people in the industry. Everyone is degree'd which may or may not be a "Con" too.

Cons

No work-life balance, they expect your entire life to revolve around the company. Complete devotion with no rewards to you.

Stop hiring kids out of college with no managerial experience to be managers. There was no development and worst of all, everyone is pitted against each other. So much for "team work."