Amazon.com Reviews

3,552 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,474 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Prettty good environment

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Good pay. Would never regret it.

Cons

Very busy. Make time for other things than the job

Pretty organized

Working at Amazon

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great customer base, passion around the operations side of the business. Always innovating for better customer experience.

Cons

Employees have unrealistic goals and very few perks to compensate. Amazon completely relies on their stock price to attract and retain. No consensus on how to move forward with priorities on the corporate side of the business.

More recognition for even smaller goal deliverables.

No growth for MBAs

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Nothing much to say at all.

Cons

Getting in as Vendor Manager at Amazon with an MBA degree is a waste of your intellect. Any good sales person with a bachelor's degree will do the job well. You do a 100 menial tasks which keeps you occupied all through the day, rather than 2-3 big strategic projects. You are really busy and work 80 hours a week but it all adds up to nothing.

Amazon's compensation structure is based on a breakage model where the hope and expectation is that people will quit after a year or two at the company and they dont have to end up paying the big RSU component.

Its a burn out factory.

The wheels will keep spinning until the stock price is high and then what?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

uncommicative, disrespectful, ungratful

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Pay is decent, the company could do better.

Cons

Hard labor, little help from managers in paths. Its all about numbers. managera do not care about employees.

Amazon hires people straight out of college, a lot of the managers have never actually had a job prior to working at amazon.

Stay far away from this company!

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

if you want to work for Amazon, work as a contractor. You will be treated a lot better then if you were a full time employee.

Cons

Expect not 110% of you but more like 150% Be prepare to work hard and if you want to advance you need to not only do the job required but expected to do more. Don't expect this to be your dream job. Very hard to advance. If you are liked by the management, you'll have the opportunity to advice if you can prove yourself. You need to know the cultures and values inside and out, eat, sleep and breath the culture and you'll do ok. You just won't have a life. Amazon is becoming the online Wal-mart.

Absolutely no job security!

Current Employee - Picker  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Picker in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay its decent, but doesn't match work expected.

Cons

No matter how hard you work its never good enough.

Learn to treat the employees like humans, not robots.

Worst Employer of All Time

Former Employee - Investigation Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Investigation Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible start and end times.

Cons

There are plenty of news articles pooping up about how terrible this company is to work for.
    Everything about working for this company was a nightmare. Some of the worst management I have ever dealt with, not to mention how astoundingly unintelligent everyone is except for programmers and engineers.
    This company is a joke, and Bezos has no idea how to treat employees, only customers.

Take some notes on how other tech companies treat their employees.

Joined because the products intrigued me as a customer; internally as an engineer, it was nothing short of a nightmare.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Other companies think AWS's products are cool and innovative. Thus they assume AWS engineers must be high-quality, which facilitates the job search :).

Cons

People are treated very poorly -- I don't think they are even trying to compete with other top tech companies for engineers.

My team inherited too much technical debt and brittle legacy systems that had been neglected for years despite causing increasingly serious problems as the business scaled. We spent all our time remediating customer issues but never building anything new or even properly maintaining our broken software. The on-call, status reporting, deployment processes, etc., were brutal as well. Overall, every aspect of working here was draining and I left as soon as I could. Fortunately I discovered that being an engineer outside of Amazon isn't so painful :).

Don't allow desperate managers to throw mountains of technical debt/legacy systems at new grads just because nobody else wants it -- within a year, you'll lose those people forever and they'll become detractors of the company.

You are just a number

Current Employee - Seller Support  in  Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Seller Support in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are not unemployed (even if at times you wish you were) and you can meet people from all over Europe.
    I cannot think to anything else, really.

Cons

The managers are just incompetent. You as an individual have no value, they do not care if you have a life outside the office, I would almost say that they would like you not to have a life. If you refuse to do overtime you do not understand business needs, and in the last quarter of the year overtime became mandatory.
    They can change your schedule at any time, so you cannot do any plan, and can in this way make you skip your days off and you will not will be given them back. The training is just ridiculous, you are expected to know things that nobody explained to you, and most of the managers have no idea what is your job about.
    Work for this company is what is closer to slavery you can find in the Western World.

Learn how to be managers, understand that manage people does not mean undermining their confidence.
    Apply the frugality concept to yourselves as well and not only to agents.

Cheap, cheap, cheap.

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work hours are OK. Nice people working there with only a few exceptions. As long as you don't have an ounce of creativity, you'll do just fine.

Cons

Backwards org structure with insubordination actively encouraged and rewarded.
    Extremely political office with total lack of definition of roles and job responsibilities.
    "Leadership principles" are used as a weapon and justification for bad decisions.
    I've never worked at a company which invests in its own employees less, both from a career development and an infrastructure POV - they don't invest in infrastructure unless it's 100% customer-facing.

Stop being so cheap with your employees. Small perks cost the company very little and would add a lot in terms of employee loyalty.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!