Amazon.com Reviews

3,516 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,433 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazon

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, Talented people around, Flexible

Cons

Work life balance.
    Completely focused on work

There is definitely room for improvement in the Distribution Center.

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate  in  Robbinsville, NJ
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Robbinsville, NJ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The medical benefits are relatively inexpensive and there is a coffee machine in some of the break rooms. The unpaid time off is somewhat generous.

Cons

Many of the managers treat their employees in an extremely condescending manner. The performance goals are extremely difficult to achieve without injuring yourself. There isn't enough time to rest during the scheduled break periods and this also adds to the discomfort. Mediocre employees are promoted while some talented people are left behind. However, the facility is relatively new so this may change as time wears on. Improvement is possible but this remains to be seen.

Slightly longer break periods and a less patronizing attitude toward the newer employees.

personal growth, amazing technology, independence - but for a price

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to work on a huge distributed system with a lot of independence Amazon is a great place. Every team acts like a small start-up and has a lot of freedom. You will learn very quickly and get a lot of responsibility. There is no bureaucracy or processes which get in your way, so you will be able to decide on your own (with peer guidance) and build quickly. I was amazed every day how complex and challenging things I can do and how much I learned.

If you want to have an interesting job where you can grow and do not mind to work hard you may be willing to accept that Amazon is not perfect. Yes, there are few companies which are equally interesting and have a better culture and perks, but it's much easier to fail interviews there - you know, the prettiest girl in town may be fussy like hell. Not that it's trivial to get to Amazon, but it's for sure easier.

The unique knowledge and experience that you will get in Amazon is priceless and worth all the disadvantages described below. You will not learn distributed systems just from books and Amazon is a perfect place to do it. And there is a chance that you will fall in love with the company and stay there for long. If not, what you learn will significantly increase your chances to get a much better job.

Cons

There is a lot of stress and pressure, so many people around you will be overwhelmed. For the same reason personnel rotation is very high, so knowledge is constantly being lost and you are expected to live with that.

The recruiter who contacts you at the beginning determines which team you will be in for the first year, you have very little to say about that. So ask about it at the beginning and try to find a different recruiter if you do not like what the team does.

There are basically no perks, free food, raises or bonuses in Amazon as it operates on low margins and invests all profits. That make it very frugal. Assume that the salary & stocks which you get at the beginning is what you will receive for few years. In your office you will find all that you need, but it will not be a pretty place which you want to show to friends.

In most cases you will be expected to be accessible by phone at any time as you are responsible for your systems to be always up and running. On-call duty takes 7 days every 6 to 9 weeks, you will not be able to code or travel during the weekend when you are on-call.

Do not expect too much guidance from managers, often they have little technical skills.
    Your colleagues will be intelligent, but often quite competitive.

Stop putting so much pressure on lower management, it propagates down to the bottom and destroys morale.
    Emphasize the value of a team instead of worshiping individuals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership: Amazon gives employees a lot of ownership over the projects they are working on.

Career growth: There are tons of internal opportunities for growth and you are able to drive you own career trajectory. Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Work life balance: I heard some of the complaints about work life balance before joining Amazon, but in my time here I have not experienced any issues with work life balance. The work schedule is flexible and I rarely take any work home with me.

Cons

Company can be a bit too frugal at times, not a lot of perks. Fortunately the frugality is not reflected in the compensation. I would like to see a better 401(k) match.

Make the 401(k) more competitive to other companies in the industry.

Fulfillment Bait & Switch - Non-sort Facilities are Rough

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate  in  Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits were nice, and the job itself provided a nice way to stay active.

Cons

First, there are two types of facilities: Sort and non-sort. The latter manages large, heavy, and oddball items. What this means for those involved is that heavy lifting is a requirement. During training, an option was given to pick or pack items. What was not told to us was the frequency which an associate is forced to do jobs outside of their job description. Specifically, I refer to the Outbound Dock. Safety seems to be a huge priority for Amazon, yet very little is exercised on the dock. The pace is breakneck and impossible to safely keep up with, especially with the heavier items of a non-sort facility. You will be tasked with filling multiple trailers, and god help you if they all get backed up (like they always do). If you are moderately ok at the job, you will be tasked with it more and more, instead of the job you were hired to do. The only way out of dock work is through a medical exemption - never mind that it is likely the most difficult and dangerous job in the facility. Weekly injury reports indicate that the dock sustains the most injuries, so the nature of the beast is known by the powers that be. Actual shipping companies pay more and conduct dock work in a safer manner. Feels a lot like bait and switch, with associates being taken advantage of. Also, the breaks are a complete joke, given the time it takes to get through the facility. Glad I'm getting out before the 12 hour x 5 day mandatory overtime starts.

Let people do the jobs they were hired to do, learn your associates' talents, hire separate dock associates, stop pretending Amazon is an aspiring startup.

Needs to be more personalized

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Big company, can gain valuable experience in developing large distributed system related projects. Open to many chances if you are a work maniac.

Cons

Unexpected call-in times with no additional compensation -- they made you agree with it. The culture makes you feel small about yourself.

Solid growning company. Internal pomotional opportunities can be challenging.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no shortage of overtime hours if you want them.

Cons

It is easier to get a high level position if you are an external candidate then a current employee.

Promote more people from within the current employee pool rather then favoring external candidates

Good And Bad, But Overall Okay

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company.

a). Amazon is perhaps one of the best companies when it comes to interesting projects. Almost includes all areas you can think of. It's leading in cloud computing and also releasing new devices yearly. Tons of challenges. Great leadership from Jeff Bezos. I like where this company is headed.

b). Amazon has an official dog policy that allows you to bring your dog to work on a daily basis which is really cool.

c). Paid time off 6 days. Pretty good. 3 sick days. Okay.

Cons

a). In terms of compensation, average base salary, great sign-on bonus, lame stock bonus over first 2 years(4 years allocation ratio of your stock bonus: 5%, 15%, 40%, 40%) then it's better. No cash bonus ever after the sign-on bonus though. You also won't receive any stock bonus on your first performance review, either. Last but not the least, their salary bump is minimal compared to other IT companies.

b). No perk at all. You want free food? Go elsewhere. You want free parking? Go elsewhere. You want office? Go elsewhere.

c). No green card for immigrant SDE1s because you are not valuable to the company. SDE2s will get theirs going after half a year of service. Although exceptions can be given from time to time. And usually managers understands it and will help you.

d). Oncall experience is different significantly from teams to teams. Cannot say much about that. My team is mostly okay. But I have heard horrible stories, and I am not planning to experience those.

e). People move very frequently. Promotion can be a problem when your manager keeps coming and going and nobody has a set of continuous datapoints of you.

f). 2 weeks of vacation in the first year. Then 3 weeks starting from your second year. 2 weeks is well below IT company standard. Although they kind of making up for it by adding 9 extra days(6 PTO + 3 sick days)

Grant green card for immigrants immediately. Add perk. Those will help you keep your employees from moving.

Good work, good people but too frugal

Current Employee - Software Development Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Work is good. People are good to work with. Compensation is good.

Cons

Too frugal, gets irritating sometimes. Work-life balance not much.

There is a thin line between frugality and cheapness. Try not to cross it. Employee satisfactions is important and there is a reason other companies are trying make their employees life easier/happier.

TECHNICAL ANALYST

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good compensation, friendly people and work environment.

Cons

Lacks employee development opportunities and lack of discipline in management.

Take responsible actions.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!