Amazon.com Reviews

5,109 Employee Reviews

Hard work!

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Haslet, TX
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Haslet, TX

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance - best in the industry.

Cons

1.2M sq. ft. warehouse, read lots of walking; waterfall schedule; 10 hr work days 4 days a week w/3 days off; during peak (Thanksgiving to Christmas) 11.5 hr work days 5 days a week w/2 days off; ; $.25 raises every month for 3 years, then you're capped out and must promote to management.

Advice to Management

Lead by example to improve moral; show associates respect and appreciation on a daily basis. Promote older employees (38+) not just the youngsters!

2. Good Company, still finding its feet

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Awesome opportunities due to growth +Your voice totally matters +Ability to innovate as much as you want

Cons

-Most of the time you are drinking from a firehose -The lack of structure is both a benefit and a hinderance -Corporate employees get treated way better than field

Advice to Management

Find your balance. Invest in the FC network with more than just infrastructure or incentive based programs. They bring in the money but are treated with the least amount of true respect in the company.

3. Depends on the team

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

First if all, as with most big companies, your experience at Amazon will vary greatly with your business unit, and your team. Mine are great. I work in the Kindle org, and overall it's a great place to work. The work is definitely interesting, I've worked in backend systems where the challenge is reliability and dealing with big data. The work-life balance is great, and I almost never spend more than 9 hours at work. When I do it's almost always because I'm working on something that's really interesting to me and I just want to get more done that day. I really buy in to the whole customer centric thing. We really do make choices that we thing would be better for the user (than the alternatives) even though it may be more painful for us in the short run.

Cons

The requirements still change very often and you'll find your sprints often interrupted with something that just HAS to happen. The company of so huge that there is often overlap between what different teams are doing. It can help to just get things done quickly, but often it seems like a waste when one of the solutions is eventually discarded.

Advice to Management

Keep the company culture alive. Recently I've been noticing more politicking going on - don't let yourselves turn into a bureaucracy.

5. Vendor Manager CCLDP

Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very good platform to run real retail business. teams are not political.

Cons

Lack of enough human resources and need to follow up very detailed things leading to low work efficiency and lots of non value added work. maybe good experience for very junior employees such as fresh graduates

6. No Standards as to how you move up just luck of the draw

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Robbinsville, NJ
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Robbinsville, NJ

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

benefits and 401k. and paid time off

Cons

lets see where to start i started 3 months ago a proved to be the best at every position i was put in. for example packing multi good the rate was 142 an hour i did 200 an hour so i was quickly moved to rebbin which the rate was 400 i did 552 an hour then was moved after i asked about 6 times about other positions to induct which the rate is 1000 i did 1200 so i proved myself very well.. but when a kid younger then me and was only there for 2 weeks was put in a position that was my boss because they needed people when I've been asking for awhile came over to help me and had no idea what he was doing where i had to help him it pissed me off it comes down to he lived in the same town as the manager and they did little talking so as u can see where am going with this doesn't matter how good you do its about favorites. not to mention when you get a break its not the time they say you have a 15 minute break is really 8 because of the far walk you have to take to the break room ... i was also denied to go to the bathroom which was annoying considering i had to hold it for another hour

Advice to Management

acknowledge a good worker when you have one and not burn them out and abuse them..

The fun is gone and the operation burden keeps coming.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- If you are a college hire, you will learn a lot, from discussing business requirements, writing tech specs, coding and testing, to deploying features to productions. You will learn them all. - Project is very cool sometimes, but get buried so much under processes and guidelines. Just let me build the thing already. - What else? What else is there? I don't know. Probably nothing else.

Cons

- Healthcare and Benefits: from what I hear from my friends working at other tech companies, Amazon pretty much has nothing. Just nothing. - Work Equipment: horrible. I am still using the Macbook from 2011 and not allowed to upgrade to newer machine until 2017. I would have to pay out of my pocket for memory upgrade and switch from normal hard drive to ssd. Of course, all in the name of "Frugality". I am just not sure how it can be frugal where I have to spend a lot of time waiting for things to run and process while on the clock. And once upon a time, we were so looking forward to acquire monitor from interns who are about to leave, because Amazon would refuse to give us two monitors of 22". Luckily, at least that's over. - Performance Review and Salary: I have had many reviews so far and it always seems subjective. Like April this year, I got exceed for engineer rating and solid for leader principle, and I got <2% pay raise. Total compensation, stock included, goes down from last year. In another word, I get a pay cut for a good performance review. Who does that? Talked to manager and HR, nothing they can do about it. And thanks to Glassdoor, I know that I am underpaid even comparing to other engineers at the same level at the SAME company. - Retention rate is very low. My department is considered one of the good one in term of work life balance and everybody is nice and such, But people keep leaving. Business keeps asking for projects to be built while we don't have enough resources and don't even care about operational support. They just want things to be done for their own promotion, then get promoted, and leave the burden behind. Engineers are quoted on their words about "rough/initial" estimation and got pressured onto that "promises" to get things done. Inexperienced engineers make that amateur mistakes all the times and burn themselves out. Engineers like me stay in the department because of promises about promotion, different and interesting project, but of course pay raise is kinda out of question but only for a very few people. (Perhaps I am not that good of an engineer. If so, why even bother rating me exceed in engineer performance many years in a row?) - Technical challenge: not much. Once you passed the first 1 or 2 years of learning as new hires, it pretty much dies down from there. - Pager (it especially sucks if your team has less than 5 people. That means you would be oncall once a month or more) - Mentor: hit and miss. I am fortunate to have some very great mentors. But my friends seem to have a complete opposite of spectrum. He has to learn everything, plays nice with his mentor although that mentor is not even helpful. - Managers and some engineers tend to present the Amazon's problem in a very engineer way: it is not perfect and very challenging but there will always be room for improvement and you can contribute to that. Sure, it's possible, if only you work their days and nights, weekend included to get your work done and achieve those goals. You probably ask why I am still working there after so many complaints I made above. Well, I love my teammates. They are some of the best engineers I have had a chance to work with. They are all moving on now. I am the last man standing. Prepping for the interviews now. If you are working for Amazon, move on, NOW. If you plan to work for Amazon, at least ask for the ton of money or a very special project. Last word, just get out.

Advice to Management

- Having so many diverse projects without any focus is not a GOOD thing. - Postponing tech mandates to deliver some milestones will bite everyone eventually. - Dealing with your teammates to make sure that everyone is happy is your JOB. That's what you get paid for. Not making everyone fight each other and gets paid. - Lack of communications and give out empty promises to keep engineers around might work in the short term but words will go around. Good luck moving to a new team or new company where your old engineers share their experiences with others. Tech community is pretty small. It will come back and be friend with you very soon.

8. Working in an Amazon Fulfillment center

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Robbinsville, NJ
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Robbinsville, NJ

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits in terms of 401k, reserve stock units after 2 years of work, lots of opportunities for promotion from within after working for a reasonable amount of time. They give you way more personal paid time off as well as allow for a number of hours of unpaid time off, on top of all this is vacation time which accrues every paycheck. The managers and employees were all relatively nice.

Cons

You have to be able to stand and/or walk swiftly for 10 hours. Some jobs require you to pick up and move 50 lbs or more boxes all day. Depending on where you work in the facility, the job can be physically demanding or not at all.

Advice to Management

Let people do jobs they are especially good at, instead of rotating them to others for the sole sake of crosstraining.

9. Fast pace

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

The company is very fast pace so you do get to be motivated. There are cutting edge technologies. People are pretty sharp.

Cons

Sometimes the impact you can make is limited, which is a common thing among giant companies. Depending on your team, you might have to spend a lot of time on bug fixes instead of adding bright and shiny features.

Advice to Management

Managers are too busy to spend time on things that can help engineers to grow.

Interesting problems, poor treatment of employees

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll get to work on a lot of cool and interesting problems

Cons

Work / life balance is usually crappy, particularly on the really interesting projects. Also stack ranking can be quite hindering to collaboration.

11. Great Place to be from

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is fast paced, always willing to try new things innovative and improve. There's alot of opportunity to move around and try different roles. It's never boring.

Cons

Seldom willing to try OLD things, always wants to reinvent the wheel, often changes direction too quickly without giving the original idea a chance to succeed which results in alot of unnecessary chaos. Chaos defines the operating environment, There's tons of teams involved in new projects, but the people who need answers don't know who the owners are and problems get passed around without resolution a lot. This leads to virtually no work-life balance as the organization is always both in crisis and undermanned.

Advice to Management

Tighten up internal structure to add clarity of responsibility and transparency or you will never resolve root causes. Amazon calls their problems "Zombies" because they keep coming back. This is driven by an endemic attitude of quick fixes and stop gap solutions. Amazon's pace is breakneck but sometimes "slow is fast" and acknowledging and fixing a problem is sometimes more important than overcoming it's short term impact.

Showing 5,109 of 5,597 reviews