Amazon.com

3,515 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,445 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Very helpful, growth-oriented company

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

I am surrounded by great leaders and great co-workers. Everyone is smart, friendly and helpful which makes for a sales-organization pretty much unlike any other I've worked for.

Cons

Amazon is not a sales org. Which is not what you would think right off the bat. But I am in one of the few sales-oriented divisions here at Amazon which means that there have been growing pains, to put it lightly. Compensation, goals and metrics have changed on us multiple times since I started.

Good Company

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate  in  Haslet, TX
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Haslet, TX

Pros

Better than average hourly rates; work/life balance depends on you; a most bodacious experience; always maintain a positive attitude.

Cons

It really is hard work. You are expected to perform within certain parameters which are not unreal expectations.

Remain positive and proactive for your employees. Remember THEY make YOU look good.

Great stuff

Pros

Good money. Easy hiring. Keeps you active. Work independently. Decent benefits.

Cons

The strictness of maintaining an ever-increasing stow rate is challenging and a lot of the fulfillment centers show favoritism among management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great college experience working for Amazon.com

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Long Beach, CA

Pros

The company pays very well and the coworkers are very exciting people. I love the culture and the company values. I felt valued by the management greatly. It is just a great company to work for, but not much room for advancement if you aren't from a top-tier university.

Cons

The interview is a little whacky and unorganized. Leadership is shaky and sometimes unorganized. The deadlines are very strict and timely. Lots of pressure from cohorts and upper management.

Hire more college grads

Good Learning

Pros

Start up culture, great learning, smart people

Cons

Cant really think of a lot

Fullfilment

Pros

easy job but the hours can be long

Cons

can be physical, you are just a number with no regard to you as an asset to the company.

THINK about who produces your bonuses

Financial Analyst Intern

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great learning opportunity, unlike many internships you are expected to contribute and deliver work at the same level as a Financial Analyst.

Cons

Depending on your manager feedback on your work and expectations can be very unclear. This is a con that may not be specific to Amazon. Your over all experience and learning is very dependent on the team you are on and your direct manager.

partly good, partly "OK"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

Pros

A lot of talented highly skilled people
    Non-trivial projects
    ability to develop, enhance skills, learn

Cons

oncall: hard to maintain life-work balance due to oncall
    minimal company benefits

pay more attention to employees, make the, feel valued

HIGH turnover, Some OT and maybe some unpaid voluntary time off

Current Employee - Picker  in  Chester, VA
    Current Employee - Picker in Chester, VA

Pros

You get to meet people who are from most age groups. If you can stay long enough you can try most anything at your skill level or lower. Pay is ok

Cons

Did I say High turnover? I'd say that 50 percent of all new hires leave after 30 days or less. The performance rate they want is hard to achieve considering the work flows they put on you are challenging at best. They WILL terminate you for not meeting rate. You might stay with one manager for about 6 months then either they promote move or leave.

Listen to what your employees say about the atmosphere of the company

Darwin walks the halls here - you'd think we were curing a major disease

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

1. Incredibly smart, driven and dedicated teams;
    2. Scope and responsibility like no where else you'll work;
    3. Likelihood of having one or more "Jeff" meetings is fairly high depending upon the team you join, which is mind-blowing the first time (then it's a slog);
    4. Leadership principles are practiced across all aspects of the business (hiring, meetings, talent management), which is more than I can say for other companies that hand-wave at similar tenets once or twice a year during reviews.

Cons

1. Pay (they don't tell you the full story when you're hired) and that signing bonus is a scam. The stock plan is designed to insure that you burnout before reaching the bulk of the $$$;
    2. Talent is not developed here ... at all;
    3. Amazon does fire people - they burn right through you;
    4. Leadership has NO backbone despite the leadership principle. No one disagrees with Jeff;
    5. At 18-months, I am considered a tenured employee in my org as most have left;
    6. I've worked more in the last two years than I did in the previous five combined, including multiple 100-hour weeks and 7am-1am days. Weekends are not off-limits by any means;
    7. If you're female, amplify all the above ^n.

Invest in people. Amazon will find the bottom of the talent pool as you cannot sustain a 1.3 years turnover rate with 125K+ employees. The IP is walking right out the door.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!