Amazon.com Reviews

3,516 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,433 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay experience. Didn't meet my expectations.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Freedom to code, design. Casual dress code.

Cons

Very Frugal. No need to show frugality where its not required.

Please chop off unwanted projects that are going no where because it wastes man power, time and talent.

Fulfillment Associate

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate  in  DuPont, WA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in DuPont, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are great and they start from day one

Cons

The shifts are ten and a half hours long, the breaks should be at least 20 min because of the distance to breakrooms

Amazon does an amazing job ensuring employees are treated fairly, but I would suggest less micro management

Great Learning and a big ownership

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Learning and a big ownership - very cross-functional experience, working for a company that is long term focused, very ambitious and puts customer first, very strong culture

Cons

Very intense, not big on formal training (you are expected to learn on the job), most people find work-life balance getting skewed in favor of work, strong culture means you either fit in or would not survive for long

Provide more BI support to business teams, have a process to check the managers who only manage upward

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customers First at the Expense of Employees

Current Employee - Instock Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Instock Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart Coworkers
    At Amazon you’re going to work with some really bright individuals. Everyone I work with is very intelligent and very hard working. That’s evident by the clock ticking down to 6:00 and seeing all your coworkers typing still at their door desks.

Interesting Work
    The work you do at Amazon is already quite fun. On the retail side it’s like running your own business. There’s so much to do and you’re never bored with the work. It’s neat to see how everything you do impacts your business and improves it.

Casual Work Environment
    It's also quite nice that you can go to work in jeans and a t-shirt. Bringing your dog to work is great also, but really it's just a wait to keep you there longer.

Cons

Before I go into the cons I’m going to say that this is based upon my personal experience during my 3 positions on the retail side of the company.

No Work Life Balance
    60 hour work weeks are normal. Meetings at 5:00 happen and people regularly work past 7:00. It feels like I go to work, get home, work some more, go to sleep, and repeat. On the weekends I get a bit of a break, but I still am required to work as I have certain reports and other tasks that have not yet been automated to complete. Amazon work kills all hope I have of an outside life.

Always on call
    Even being on vacation doesn’t matter as you’ll receive high priority emails management wants answered right away. Holidays are no exceptions. I was called once at 6:00 AM on a holiday because of a promotion running at a competitor I had to match. I finished all tasks associated with the promotion at about 8:00 PM. I didn’t have a holiday as a result, but customers were able to get a good deal on the retail products I was in charge of.

Single People Preferred
    Do not expect to see your kids or significant other regularly. If you mention you have to leave early, like 5:00 (which is a normal 8 to 5 day) to pick up your kids or go to a dinner date, expect to be mocked by your boss after you’re gone. I’m regularly late now to almost all after work events because of work that is given and required to be completed after 5:00.

Too Much Work
    This is great as you’re never bored, but it also means you’ll constantly be working. Lunch normally doesn’t happen as you’re in a meeting during that time, completing something for later deadline, or rushing for a fire drill. It’s basically survival of the fittest here. You will need to automate your tasks or risk drowning in a pile of endless work. There are a lot of improvements needed to be made at Amazon and management wants them done now.

High Bars
    Once you’ve automated your work and reached your goals, you’ll be asked to surpass that the next year. Eventually your goals will become impossible to achieve. I’ve mentioned this to management and their answers are normally along the lines of “I’m not sure how you’ll be able to improve, but you need to.”

Small Raises
    I’ve been lucky that I’ve achieved high ratings on my reviews and so my raises have been just above inflation. Even so, they’re laughable. Raises occur only on your base pay and your base pay is relatively a small portion of your compensation.

Golden-handcuffs
    Amazon entices you with a bonus your first two years and stock every year afterwards. If you leave the company before the end of the year in which you received a bonus you’ll have to pay it back. If you leave during one of the years in which your stock vest it’s like you worked for nothing. My stock is almost equal to my base pay for example. This keeps you working for the company.

Low Base Pay
    Living off your base pay is also terrible as the cost of living here in Seattle is rising. You’re income on paper will look like you make a decent amount of money, but only because of your stock/bonuses. If you choose not to cash out of it when it vests you’ll be living by meager means as most of your pay will go to rent and other expenses. Having a low base pay also puts you in a different bracket for loans as they don’t consider your grants and bonuses reliable income.

Frugality
    Only the bus pass is free. Parking is not and parking is expensive. Amazon will reimburse up $160 worth of parking, but at over $25.00 a day it doesn’t go very far. If you can get monthly parking you’ll pay less, but there’s a long wait list. On the bright side most people leave after 2 years so you may get a spot if you stay long enough. There are also no employee perks that I’m aware of, except free coffee and tea in the kitchen.

Performance Improvement Plans
    PIP is very real at Amazon. A certain number of people in your department every year will be put on it. Essentially the weakest link will be eliminated. If you don’t perform better than someone else you’ll be let go. Politics are very real and active as well. Consider it similar to Game of Thrones. Make sure someone owes you a favor and preferably that’s someone at a higher level.

Promotions
    Lateral moves are common, promotions are not. Most people rotate after 1-1/2 years. Getting promoted requires laterally moving to a high job level. Once in that level you will need to perform the job better than coworkers doing the same job at the level you’re trying to get promoted to. This accounts to doing a much harder job with more work at a lower wage than everyone else until you’ve proven yourself. You’re also competing with other coworkers at your level and job for the promotion. This works great for the company, but makes you feel like you’re way underpaid for the job you’re doing.

Turnover
    I’m not sure the exact numbers as Amazon is constantly hiring new people, but it seems high. I’ve seen lots of people leave Amazon that I’ve worked with. The average stay seems to be about 2 years. After that people leave for better opportunities. Consider this place a stepping stone to the next job. Also expect your workload to increase each time someone leaves until they fill that position. You may be moving on before that happens though as Amazon has a really high bar for hiring.

Amazon could be a great place to work. I actually enjoyed working for the company for the first 1-1/2 years. After that I realized things were not going to get better. My work days did not get shorter, only longer. I now feel like all I do is work and am starting to burn out as a result. I could probably deal with most of the other flaws, but I work to live not live to work. I’m counting down the days until my next stock grant and then I’m heading for the door.

I’m not the only one either that thinks like this. Most people will not speak the truth; even if you ask me to my face I’ll lie and say I’m not going anywhere. I’d lie because I know the politics of the place would stab me in the back if I told the truth. Working at Amazon is a job, not a career.

If the stock ever crashes you can also expect a mass exodus of workers as our base pay isn’t comparable to other offers out there.

My advice is to look at my list of cons and figure out a way to fix them. We do the same thing to improve the experience of the customer, why don’t we improve the work life of our employees? How many good people have to leave before Amazon upper management figures this out?

Working there 1 year was like working there 3.

Former Employee - HRA  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - HRA in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot. Training was excellent, they seemed to value me.

Cons

Lean. Required to do a lot with little assistance. May processes and policies are changing constantly.

Summer Internship at AWS

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

1. Competitive compensation
    2. Flexible working time

Cons

1. Team where I am in is too large
    2. The assignment is boring

Divide the group into more subgroups

Not that bad

Current Employee - Labor  in  Schertz, TX
    Current Employee - Labor in Schertz, TX

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The amazon fulfillment center is always hiring. One major bonus is they will hire you with little to no experience. So long as you have an ID and high school diploma you'll be okay.

Cons

The work is not easy. They expect you to he fast paced and get stuff done. It is very easy to get written up if you don't meet they're time standards. They're all about the rates.

Great experience. Gave me guts to start my own company

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture. If you want to learn without frills, then this is the place to be. The whole organization is very decentralized with lots of room to try & learn. Each team almost works like a start up in itself. Great brand in your resume as well.

Cons

Not necessarily the best pay master. If you are looking to have a very chilled work-life, then do not join. The culture is very frugal too - so no free food, extravagant offsites, company interiors, Mac airs, etc.

Also, I've found that there are many senior folks who are pretty dumb and these are mostly hired from outside. Folks who have grown within are amazing, but Amazon has failed where senior folks are plugged in from outside.

Try focusing on growing folks from within. If you do plug-in senior folks from outside - do try to weed them out sooner rather than later. You wouldn't want to have 3rd & 4th layer behave like a Microsoft now, do we?

Review

I worked at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Customer focused, innovative, competent, performance oriented.

Cons

High expectations translate into long hours

Provide more opportunities for employees to interact in informal ways.

SDE Intern at Amazon Seattle HQ.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great pay. Good working environment. Dog lover. Their internship is one of the best one. You have your own project. Learn a lot from their process. Also easier than some other companies to get return offer.

Cons

Food is bad. Nothing is for free. Don't like company culture.

I don't like the company culture.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!