Amazon.com Reviews

3,561 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,478 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay Away

Current Employee - Buyer  in  Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Buyer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

No Pros, left hand does know what the right hand is doing. Blame when things go wrong rolls down hill. Lazy and uncaring Management. Very disjointed compay

Cons

Use you then turn you loose.

Get your act together. Paying people to quit doesn't solve the problems, try fixing them.

One of the worst jobs I've ever had

Former Employee - Picker  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Picker in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The money is decent and the hours are okay. You might also get in shape.

Cons

You will hurt yourself, even doing things the right way and the management will try and make it all your fault. I even got a verbal warning for time off task when I threw out my knee trying to satisfy my jerk of a boss and I was on light duty. The quotas that they expect you to meet are COMPLETELY unrealistic and if you try and discuss it with management, they just say "Well, such-and-such makes quota". Yeah, well not everyone is cut from the same cloth. Some people can work super hard and only pick 985 items a day instead of 1000. Punishing them for it is discrimination. If you...pardon me, WHEN you don't make quota, they will treat you like, even tell you, you're not trying. I busted my butt for this place and got treated like a lazy teenager who was just looking for an easy buck. I saw LOTS of hard working people get fired by management who didn't even know their names, much less how hard they worked. What's worse, management will tell you "Hey, were here to help. We're here for you. If you have questions or concerns, bring them to us." Then, when you do, they talk to you like you're dirt, make up excuses, lie, roll their eyes... These are bad people who have learned to sound friendly. The company destroys peoples' bodies, psyches, emotional health and self esteem and then acts like their pathetic for not being able to take it. Of course, management can screw up, be lazy, fail, whatever and it's perfectly okay. There are policies of zero tolerance AND zero accountability. AVOID THIS COMPANY AND DON'T BUY FROM THEM. AMAZON IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA.

Grow up. Be realistic. Stop lying to, abusing and dismissing your employees. Get out on the floor and try doing your subordinates' jobs for a day more often. And when employees who REALLY DO WORK EXTRA HARD come to you with concerns try not to be a jerk.

Amazon is not what you think it is! It is definitely not a place that values family or your personal life.

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazon hires really smart people and you will learn a lot really fast. You can also grow fast if you are willing to risk your personal/family life for a few years to get there. If you are money hungry and will do anything for money, this is a great place for you as the money will come. FYI The glassdoor comments are true. Please read. It is not disgruntle employees that write these reviews. Its real people trying to give you the real truth so you can make an informed decision.

Cons

Exempt/professional "non" Seattle based employees (i.e. operations, HR, safety, security, learning, occupational health, etc.) are treated very poorly. This demand comes from the top, not locally, its the culture.) There is no consideration whatsoever for your personal life especially children or a spouse. The professionals working in the warehouse, you will work 10-12 hr days on a regular basis and work on site 6 days a week and then on-call that 7th day, you are never free from work to regroup and refresh. Nights, weekends, holidays, etc. Merit increases are very minimal about 1-3%. Seattle based employees are treated much better.

Burning very talented people out will eventually get out on the streets and no one of "any real value" will want to work for you. Its very sad to treat professionals the way you do. The divorce rate is very high at Amazon for a reason.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finance Director at Amazon

Current Employee - Finance Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Finance Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here. Advice to those: Get a life - have confidence in your abilities and MOVE!

Cons

Work Life Balance: It is a sweat shop, it is as simple as that. What makes it worse is that company doesn't care for its employees at all (no free food and then a mile long line to get salad, let alone everything else). I don't remember once over the last one year when I had a lunch not at my desk. Lunch meetings (without lunch) is a norm. In the name of diving deep, these guys will just kill you.

Politics: Yes, I understand every company has it, but this place is insane. They will keep telling you: 'Earn Trust' one of their leadership principles is where you are not performing well, without putting any thought to what the hell does that even mean?

Company Values: Great for the customers, I love Amazon as a customer. But with employees, even though I am a Finance Director, which is fairly senior at Amazon, there is barely anything in the name of values, they treat people like slaves. The company has no soul PERIOD.

Promotions: Don't even think about it, once you are in, you are competing with your peers who have given up and have decided to stay at that level for the rest of their careers. They are not going up, and they won't let you either. It is unbelievable to see how some superstar performers don't get promoted, so forget it even if you are a star performer.

I know you don't have too much margins to play with and it's fine to live with the frugality principle, but at least invest some time in identifying and then penalizing/rewarding bad/good people managers. You have just created a bunch of bullies who won't even leave given how comfortable they've got with bullying and with the stock that they've been loaded on.

Get on the Cloud Computing Wave (although it comes at a BIG price)

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. You will get experience from the top cloud computing company out there, it's months ahead of the competition (Microsoft are catching up)
    2. Most customer centric company I've ever worked for
    3. You will learn where technology is headed for the next 10+ years
    4. This job will set you up for your next job - Most sales people leave after 18-24 months, many employees actually call it a "Cloud MBA" since it will open up many opportunities after your initial 12 months there.
    5. Getting a meeting with new customers is a lot easier than any other company I've worked for (people really do love the Amazon brand)

Cons

1. Very poor compensation and benefits (Most employees I've talked to took a pay cut to join AWS)
    2. Least employee centric company I've worked for (employees are treated as a commodity)
    3. Reaching your sales quota has to do a lot more with luck and there is no real science that goes into calculating it
    4. You won't get any "real" professional development training
    5. Be prepared to be heavily micro managed
    6. Highly immature and condescending management team
    7. You will spend more time attending territory reviews, building account plans and will be attending internal meetings, rather than meeting with customers.

There is a massive skills gap in the middle management and top level management. You need to either change them or train them.

Like being in a religious cult...

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

The only thing I can think of is that you can put Amazon on your resume and other employers will be impressed...

Cons

Poor training, so many acronyms that I'm willing to bet no one knows what they all mean, too metric driven, operation is ruled by Finance, poor treatment of their associates, incredibly frugal/cheap, absolutely no work/life balance (extremely long hours and during peak period, you are putting in an incredible amount of hours)

Associates/Employees are not machines (even though that's probably where Amazon is heading, using robots for their orders)

Much happier as a customer than an employee.

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The RSU's. The smooth-as-glass, impressive recruiting process.

Cons

Everything else. Horrific work environment. The arrogance ("We're Amazon!", "You have two years to be promoted to my position or else you're out of a job."; "If you don't want to do it there are 300 people waiting to do your job.". Each center operates autonomously like the wild frontier, and I never saw two similar/identical HR situations handled in any way consistently. You have to constantly watch your back. And, best yet, how about physical reprimands? 14 hour workdays were not unique or out of the ordinary. The burnout factor is amazingly high.

Get over yourself; even Rome fell. Take that incredible company and start treating people like the assets they are instead of burning them out and crushing their souls!

Operations Manager

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Mississauga Valley, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Mississauga Valley, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company leer you by offering above average pay for management level. Base pay is not above average but they do offer higher than normal signing bonus meant to keep you engaged for two years.

Cons

Overall, the worst place I have worked. They have a lot of good things on paper but the company does not care about it employees. Managers are not allowed vacation between October 01 and December 31. Because you cannot take vacation you accumulate many vacation days and if you try and take them you a made to feel like you are not a good employee. You literally are demoralized for using a vacation day.

I am white male. The company will hire minorities but treat them as a slave labor force, including the managers. Minorities on all levels are treated poorly. In less than one year I have seen 11 managers get fired and 7 resign. Managers come and go. Do not leave your job for Amazon and do not be fooled buy the huge signing bonus and offer of RSU. You will regret taking the bonus because when you are either fired or resign you will be made to repay.

Worst place to work. As soon as I complete my two years here as Operations Manager I am resigning.

Engage People Attack Process

Grueling job with unrealistic goals.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon.com part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are unable to afford a higher education, this job may be great for you. Pay is better than your typical fast food joint, but don't expect to be treated any better.

Cons

Unrealistic speed and accuracy requirements cause temporary employees to do all the work while full time employees hang about and talk. Your speed is always measured against you, don't help out your overweight friend who is struggling moving around and on all fours looking for a single Lego man in the wrong bin because he's in aisle 32 instead of 23. You better hurry using the restroom, stopping for water, and if you have problems scanning an item with your gun (Amazon's error with these sticker barcodes haphazardly stuck on by hurrying employees); tough luck. So much for the morning you worked yourself ragged for, only 8 hours left in your shift. Even one second late sliding your time card, both when you arrive or take your extremely tiny breaks for 12 hour shifts, adds points toward you being fired. Therefore you cut breaks short to avoid being late, often lines form at check in units where slow employees can sabotage even your most valiant efforts to swipe your card before the bell. Five of your 15 minute breaks are spent waiting at the security check point, guzzling your coffee and jamming down a 75 cent cheese danish is a dream come true.

Dont hire people with an education, save your time and lost revenue. Hire drones with GEDs and offer dropouts who have a reason to work the grind. Don't use your staffing company to grade your employees, you make decisions, especially with all the money you lose hiring respectful employees to be rudely put down by ego driven staffing veterans who insist you grind through four 12 shifts in a row while that "leader" discusses last night's reality tv show with their peers. Let temporary employees go earlier than watching them struggle and firing them.

company is not sorry to overwork their employees. Unethical to their workers.

Current Employee - SDE2  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SDE2 in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are innovative. HQ is close to Seattle downtown

Cons

Company expects employees to consistently overwork. Average work hour goes frequently over 50 hrs/week. The compensation is misleading many times as their stock options will not materialize for mist of people as average SDE stays there about 1 year. It's hard to learn much from seniors so many people leave often.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!