Amazon.com

3.3 3,302 reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

(2,299 ratings)

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights
3,302 Employee Reviews

Amazon is a great company if you are a customer, not so much if you happen to work there!

Sales (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to learn. Working with the best in the industry

ConsPoor management approach where individual managers do not take responsibility and provide no guidance/mentoring. When something goes wrong, they can wash their hands of it using the 'leadership principles' as cover. Poor pay. Bad office conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some responsibility and don't hide behind the silly leadership principles. Provide better growth opportunities to staff.

Great name but be careful

Vendor Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros-The people are great. A lot of smart people who are a ton of fun.
    -If you're on the right team, you can take on a lot of ownership and move quickly.
    -Good stock compensation if you're willing to wait a few years.
    -Good relocation (if you don't leave before the 2 year mark)
    -Work from home.
    -Name looks great on your resume and can open doors if you market your time well.

Cons-Lots of politics behind decision making.
    -Relocation payback for employees who leave before the 2 year mark which makes employees resent the company and some people feel stuck.
    -High turnover rate means projects often stagnate or are passed over constantly. Don't be surprised to have 3+ managers your first year.
    -Company relies on internal data and tools which may not be transferable to other companies, especially problematic for young employees.
    -Internal transfers can be difficult, especially for levels less represented in the org. It is not unusual to be told to leave the company + come back in order to get that level up. Also managers can squash internal moves with false negative reviews even if your annual review goes well.
    -Older teams are not the best for growth. Company is divided into "growth" and "optimization" teams--avoid the latter if you want a meaningful developmental experience.
    -The manager//job function you interview for will often be different than the one you actually get and your role can change at any second when understaffed.
    -Annual review process is incredibly stressful, with some managers mandating up to 15 peer reviews which is difficult for newer employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of bringing in new people to replace those who have burnt out, start investing in employee development. Employees don't need free lunches or crazy perks, just acknowledgment of their good work and some sort of stability in their management so that they can make great things happen. You get the smartest people by virtue of being a well known consumer facing brand---stop wasting resources on training new employees and burning successful people out. It is incredible how many smart people just up and leave this place because they can be treated better at virtually any other major company.

An exercise in frustration

Software Development Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPay is very good for an internship.

Projects are generally important, but relatively small (compared to full time employees) features or services. In general, they seem more important than projects interns at other companies talk about getting.

Lots of opportunities and events hosted for interns to learn about other parts of the company or learn in general.

Smart coworkers.

Frequent events and talks on interesting subjects across the company.

ConsDue to unique circumstances, I ended up being expected to complete a full-summer project in only half the time any other intern had, due to issues with my original project.

Corporate housing can be very difficult, I ended up in a hotel without a way to do laundry or cook food (only a 1.3 cu ft. mini-fridge and a coffee pot) with a meal-plan for breakfast/dinner only that didn't fully cover the cost of food at that hotel (pricey, exclusive club hotel). Ended up spending quite a bit of money eating out to avoid eating the same 4 things from their menu all the time. Hotel offered dry-cleaning at $8/shirt and $10-16/pair of pants and no laundromat in the area. (Didn't know about the laundry until I arrived)

Management frequently changed their minds on aspects of my 2nd project that prevented me from making progress at all for the first few weeks.

No training for team-specific tools (on my team at least) and methods, only the general training for new employees which wasn't enough for either of my projects.

Poor documentation of many of the existing systems, making it difficult to learn how they work and how to use them.

Full-time employees frequently work weekends in addition to 50-60+ hour work weeks during normal working days.

Seeing full-time employees on pager duty looks terrible (the hours they end up being in the office and woken up in the middle of the night/on weekends would eat up nearly 100% of anyone's spare time).

Parking at the office is not free or paid for by the company. Parking costs quite a bit more than the amount you can file to have reimbursed every month. (I didn't bring a car to avoid this issue, in addition to parking at corporate housing not being paid for at all.)

Pay is on a monthly basis, plan ahead for your start date if you don't have enough money going in to pay for food/parking/laundry.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR - pay closer attention to the hotels you choose; stranding an intern without a way to clean their clothes isn't cool (or at least inform them that laundry facilities aren't at their hotel when it is assigned so they can plan ahead)

Managers - plan the project ahead of time, it gets very confusing to have things get changed on a daily basis for the first few weeks on the project because it wasn't planned out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazon culture

SDEII (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

ProsGood business future, good infrastrcture for developer.

Consbureaucracy from managers and bad habit to evaluate what's a good engineer

Never again!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros*Given the diverse nature of the business, there are ample opportunities to learn something new everyday.

Cons*No work-life balance
    *Serious politics & high egos.
    *Most employees overworked. My manager had a stash of 5 hour energy which kept him running. Seriously, i don't want to be him!
    *Micro management & increasing pressure.
    *No clear direction. Everything changes overnight.
    *Very customer centric but not employee centric. Every week our team would consider how to reduce cost. And most of the time the cuts would impact employees adversely

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the political leaders and place more emphasis on employees

Machine Learning

Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAmazon is a well oiled machine and you'll learn a lot if you have the stomach to stay plugged in.

ConsNegatives outweigh the positives - long hours, politics, unreasonable demands, and disconnect from leadership principles and from employees make it an environment better suited for robots.

Swamped with legacy hacks

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are great opportunities and the scale at which Amazon operates is amazing.

ConsOnly 10% of the time is spent on new development, and the rest we are putting out fires. Prepare to inherit a legacy of hacks with little tests and no documentation (tribal knowledge is the norm). You will have to keep this software running 24/7 and do whatever it takes to keep it up to date with whatever changes in the runtime environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some process in place for change management, and have less process when it comes to bureaucracy.

Great company to settle down ; but not for freshers

Technical Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCore Competencies holds good for global professional values

ConsGrowth ladder will be difficult to climb when you're fresh out of school

Good place to work.

Deal Quality Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Amenities, buildings, location
    - Pay, the people you work with

ConsDepends on the department
    Long Hours
    Working all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementValue work/life balance a little more

Awesome place to work with amazing people

Software Development Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsSuper talented people, great amount of opportunities to learn

ConsNone as of now.................................

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!