Amazon.com Reviews

3,507 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,429 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place for interns!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Associate in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Fun working place.
    Mobility in the organization is high

Cons

Work can get tedious sometimes

Good experience for a customer service job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Kennewick, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kennewick, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They really want to see you succeed. They give you so much training and help.

Cons

The hours you work are really tough

Constant meetings

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is relatively good with great benefits.

Cons

Too big of a company. Work life balance is not recommended.

If management would tell you how well you're doing and encourage you to keep growing, career wise. Providing a little bit of mentorship would be greatly appreciated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

easy work but really boring

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

sort center is really easy, no one is on your as unless you don't meet rate, mgr listens but is responsible for too much, very busy

Cons

repetitive and boring, not many different things to do. probably 4 different positions in whole warehouse

luke warm

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

people are great to work with

Cons

how associates are treated over all

get ready ti kiss butt if you want to advance

Fun Challenging Team working on innovating with customer input on the retail website

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Own your own product from end to end. From design and vision through to technology stack and ownership

Cons

Getting the opportunity really depends on what team you land in within the company. Some roles are fantastic some are terrible

Management needs to go beyond and above to ensure that the people they manage are happy. The fact that they are not complaining is not a positive. If they are not singing your praises then something can be improved. Keep a finger on the pulse

Customers first employees last!

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great experience and brand value. Good set of responsibilities with little or no guidance. At management is always in meetings and works less than 40hrs a week while mid management and lower level employees work 60hrs a week.

Cons

Management is not willing to invest in team growth. All work and zero play for most part!

What I would have talked at an exit interview (if I had one)

Former Employee - Research Scientist II  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Maybe it will look good on your resume. There are a lot of data and you may be able to do an interesting analysis (only if you are patient enough to wait for your query to run; see below). Work-life balance was not bad for me. There are a few smart and honest people.

Cons

Almost everything I wanted to say is in this review by another "research scientist II" on Aug 11, 2014 (Glassdoor does not allow a link in the review; filter reviews with "research scientist II"). Noise level is terrible because of overcrowded office with ridiculously noisy SDEs who have no notion that there may be somebody who needs a quiet environment for his work. We don't have access to academic journals and conference papers, and we need to ask people in academia to get a copy, which I believe is against the policy of publishers. 3yr vesting of 401k matching contributions was what I did not know before I left and what I regret the most.

Amazon claims itself to be the world's most costumer-centric company. That in turn implies it does not care much about the employees. Basically, employees are dispensable and replaceable.

Company is not investing enough for its internal infrastructures, because they are not directly connected to customer satisfaction. Databases have much less processing capacity than what is needed; the situation worsened much more since 2013 and it is not a surprise if it takes more than a few hours to run a very simple SQL query. I wonder how people, especially data scientist type of people, do their work with such a poor environment.

Note that work environments for research scientists may be quite different depending on what area you are in. For machine learning and computer vision researchers, the company seems to be relaxing its strict policy on publications. However, on more traditional supply chain area that I was in, nothing seems to be changing; after all, we are probably not doing state-of-the-art research that is worth publishing. We are just coming up with ad-hoc patches for problems, without understanding anything and accumulating any knowledge.

Promotions are rare and it looks tougher for research scientists compared to SDEs. While SDEs have clearer measurements on their work, it is often unclear how to measure the contribution of research scientists' work. Management, which is dominated by MBA-type of people, does not understand the value of long-term research and they are only looking at short-term cost savings, which are often estimated based on dubious calculations using inaccurate financial figures.

There is no career path for research scientists. Internal transfers to other groups should be a good opportunity for employees to grow, but from my experiences, people are generally narrow-minded and reject you when you do not have past experiences in the exact area, even if you have good records of performance reviews. They basically treat you as just another external candidate.

One last thing. My employment was terminated 2 days after I submitted a formal letter of resignation, even though I was requesting to leave one week later. Not only I lost 1 week of income, I also lost health insurance coverage one month earlier, because I would have been covered until the end of month if I quitted in the beginning of the month as I planned, but they have "fired" me in the end of previous month and the insurance was terminated at the same time. I didn't even have an exit interview. I couldn't believe how badly the company treats me after more than 2 years of service. Beware, because this can happen to a person like me, who was performing well enough to get promoted just several months ago. This whole thing illustrates how the company disregards its employees.

I just copy a sentence from the aforementioned review: "Employees are stakeholders, too -- investing in them should payoff." Think more about the satisfaction of current employees. Get more organized about the strategy and avoid duplicate efforts in the same organization.

I work with awesome people doing what I like to do - and get paid a whole lot to do it

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time for more than a year

Pros

I get to work on very visible, customer-facing projects that make a difference to thousands of people a day. My management cares about my career growth and work-life balance. I am paid very well.

Cons

Many people, including myself, work 10-12 hours per day pretty frequently. On-call shifts are stressful.

Upper management is open to ideas from people at all levels, and they legitimately care about their employees' career growth.

They are very focused on rates.

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Fairly good worknig conditions.

Cons

Focused on rate so much somtimes compromise quality and safety.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!