Amazon.com

3,944 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,671 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay Away. No Work-Life Balance. Management is Hideous, Awful, Narcissistic.

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

To some it may sound good. Until you hear the "they are just the Walmart for online shopping." There's little to hang your hat on. The initiatives get watered down, but at least there are initiatives.

Cons

Everything. The company is cheap. Prides themselves on door desks. The Management could not be any more cocky (and I despise that word,) and narcissistic. HR is corrupt. Mostly men, and the women can't keep up so they become bullies and mean girls. No one wants to stay much more than a year.

Understand your employees better. Slow down and stop being so full of yourself. Work on time-off policies and compensation.

Super Company ever to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

leadership, employee benefits ad all

Cons

timings, pricing, compemssation, life, benefits

Perks

At Amazon, we love to build systems. Systems that are distributes, and that talk to each other and get the business done

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to open technologies, highly competitive salary, smart people, good culture

Cons

Operational stuff to be done by devs, slower promotions, less hikes, disparity of salary between lateral hires and existing people

Keep the salaries of veterans at par with laterals

The Darwinistic Game of Thrones for the leadership incompetant

Former Employee - Software Development Manager III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Nice Campus, Great Technology, Major tooling (both a pro and con, but the common infrastructure is great)

Cons

Favoritism, Politics, "Old Guard", Excessive Overhead, Perpetual Abuse from Management, Weak Leadership, Darwinistic Cut-Throat

Very prone to favoritism and politics - they stack rank at all levels applying a very Darwinian "survival of the fittest" mold to the employee population. This often yields itself well to games of politics where other managers try to 'put people down' to make themselves appear better. (You will see this when stack ranking your reports as well....basically if you don't speak the way they want you to, your people will suffer). Be warned...there is some serious 'group think' at play, so much so, if you differ in belief you will find yourself quickly outed. I learned the hard-way where my manager frequently would engage in political discussion baiting me into defending my differing beliefs (my fault for engaging that idiot).

Management may or may not be from an engineering background. My manager was actually a TPM and very obvious he's never had to be responsible for a budget or delivering a project on a deadline. His lack of technical expertise...and more 'theoretical' science made the work relationship extremely tenuous. He did not do a good job at providing leadership, only was able to take credit for the projects I put forward.

Main point, management is weak and only experienced in their way of management (not very adaptable, more 'good old boys').

In terms of the large culture - - there is a habit for management in different teams to make very bold commitments to the S-Team (Senior VPs), without recognizing the cost or funding dependent teams. This often leads to tough resourcing decisions where if the team doesn't get their way they will write 'anonymous' feedback - which if your management is a putz will not be vetted, discussed, but just held against you. Essentially you can provide 'feedback' on any body at any time with or without reason and it will appear in their bi-annual review.

They say they have a "Bias for Action" - which is not very true.... they tend to spend more time writing documents than prototyping or engineering. As a manager at Amazon you will essentially write documents (size of a thesis) to promote your employees, define the projects you will work on, fire your employees, answer to teams wondering why you are not working on their very special request, etc. If I would be to break down my time, I spent at least 50% customer meetings, 20% meetings with reports, 10% meeting with management, 20% answering email. Now that's just the 50 hours you will spend in the office, after that you have to find time in your personal life to do the things you think actually provide value / writing docs.

Compensation is ok...the max salary is $160k a year by policy, so they pad the rest in Stock (after it vests). The effect is you feel your raises at least a year delayed (if the stock performs), salary hardly every raises with inflation or just to meet increases in rent.

Stop buying every company under the sun and start turning a profit. Drop the non-kindle hardware, the phones were stupid and didn't have the app ecosphere to support. If we are to take most of our compensation in stock, it needs to at least grow 15% YOY as you project it to.

Invest in your managers, senior management should know how to develop new managers without micromanaging or being completely handsoff - you will never develop management from different backgrounds than yourself that way.

Writing docs is not the only way to think, nor the most effective way. You can express intelligent thought that is easier to parse in bullet point or presentation. (Every doc review you end up having to present the whole thing again anyways as they are always so long and hard to parse).

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great company. Lots of intelligent people. Tons of opportunity to work on different products and GTM strategies.

Cons

Slow promotions, very political hierarchy. Management is too busy to develop anyone and you find yourself taking on as many projects as possible just to get noticed.

nice place to work with ti and ti

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

nice culture nice place nice environmennt nice people

Cons

nothing is there to tell bad about these

no advice

It has been a great experience working with Amazon

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work culture
    Ownership
    Work life balance - Right place to settle down late in your career

Cons

Learning
    Salary
    visibility/transparency on growth path is not that good

Incredibly unpleasant experience. Avoid like the plague

Former Employee - Kindle in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Kindle in London, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Well paid
    Genuinely cannot think of any more pros

Cons

Work life balance
    Systems that would frequently fail
    No communication between teams
    Unsupportive management, I had a line manager who would openly berate and insult me on an open floor office
    Minimal training, thrown in at the deep end with little to no assistance
    Understaffed, workload distributed unevenly between staff

Train line managers in how to treat employees with respect
    Hire more staff for big projects

good working environment

Current Employee - Finance in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

professional, clean, nice, high tech, fun

Cons

none, nones, no, nothing, noway

Ambassador

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Like any other associate we are just one step forward. We are consider to be in the Leadership team. Work is hard but is enjoyable when you are with the right people and when people respect you as you respect them. Leadership is awesome and there is great communication between all of them.

Cons

Associates spend to much time on the belt complaining there paycheck and amount of work. They just stand talking about nothing and want others to do their job for them. Sometimes its noisy with the Pit drivers and the sort alarm. Sometimes temperature got as high as 78 degrees which make it feel like it is 90 because of constant movement.