Amazon.com

3,947 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,673 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Chaotic

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people and good salary for the first two years of employment.

Cons

Frugal - very little perks. Very big company with lots of moving parts. Lots of dependencies create a slow moving behemoth.

Stop churning engineers. The average employment is around 2 years (right when the initial 2 year sign on bonus goes away and the rest of your compensation is based on stock). I don't want to wait until my next set of options vest.

Was Great , Now Horrible. I worked in corporate there for 5 yrs

Former Employee - Corporate Employee
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work with smart people
    casual dress
    nice downtown location
    transit and parking subsidies

Cons

Every man for himself attitude
    No perks
    no career guidance
    Promotions unheard of
    stacked seating and honeycomb cubes
    you can only make lateral job transfers. You cannot apply for jobs above your current level
    politics, politics and politics

stop living the new Amazon motto "frugality" and clean up management

Look before you leap

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to drive a big idea to fruition and be part of one of the most innovative, fast-paced companies on earth. Amazon is best suited for highly motivated and unencumbered folks who want to pour everything they have into their work and career. You are your own biggest obstacle in how much you can accomplish. The culture is very entrepreneurial and scrappy, so if you thrive on that sort of environment, you may fit in well. Brush up on your writing skills and ditch PowerPoint as a communication tool; it's not used here. Instead, you will hone the craft of pointed business narrative writing, which is a great skill to acquire in any career path.

Cons

Don't plan on a much of a personal life, work/life balance, or relaxing holidays. Amazon is intense and not for everyone. There a very high attrition rate, mostly due to burnout. As a young recent college grad looking to make a notable dent in your career with a Tier 1 brand, it's a great place to work. For those who have years of experience and no kids, I'd say it's still a great place to carve out a cool career, maybe. But for those who value being present in your family life - for your spouse and kids - I'd not recommend Amazon. The pressure and pace equates to lots of stress, which isn't good for your health or that of your family.

I have not seem much community outreach or much encouragement to volunteer. Seems odd. Are we that busy that we can't take time to give back? Also, there's a ton of focus on Work Hard and Make History, but very little on Have Fun. High attrition is not good for the company when you look at the cost of recruiting top talent. The culture seems sterile and cold. Maybe it's a by-product of being so busy 24/7 trying to keep up. In any case, it's off-putting to new employees.

It was a fantastic learning experience.

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of project, code and product diversity.

Cons

Pager! Little to no pre-release testing.

Great place to learn but not a culture of recognition

Former Employee - Program Manager in Ireland, IN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Ireland, IN

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people around you, lots of things to learn.

Cons

Too much politics. People should be measured against their goals, not against impressions.

Measure success based on results, not politics.

Depending on where you are...

Current Employee - Data Engineer II in Pendleton, OR
    Current Employee - Data Engineer II in Pendleton, OR

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Kool-Aid at Amazon is quite tasty. I've heard my fair share of internal corporate BS, but at Amazon the folks really seem to take it seriously. The requirement is that you stand up for the customer, that you improve processes, and that you're vocal about things that waste time or make things worse. You are encouraged to point out problems and suggest solutions. You are given the responsibility - and the power - to effect positive change.

Cons

The corporate structure is a little unweildy and it doesn't seem to make many efforts to observe (or correct) bad managers. While one location in a specific department might be completely awsome, all it takes is one horrible manager with bad (non-Amazon) ideas to come and screw it all up. While the system is supposedly designed to obliterate the self-serving corporate sociopaths that plague the industry, apparently they can still sneak in and wreak havoc.

Pay attention to the staff under you and the way that the rest of Amazon does business. Actually GO to the orientation meeting instead of convincing some HR person to put a checkmark in the box. Realize that if Amazon were run like "every other company", it would be as "good" of a place to work as "every other company". It's awsome because it's different - don't make it awful.

No Work Life Balance

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay; Network of peers offered support and knowledge.

Cons

No work life balance. Expectations for professionals who work in the FC (fulfillment center) are that you must work ridiculous hours to be rewarded. The company rolled out a 'work-life balance' policy. Really? If you have to roll out a policy to tell people it's ok to not work 14 hours a day, seven days a week, a culture change needs to take place.

There are some General Managers who run their building by intimidation and fear. I have heard a GM curse and scream (literally) at an Operations Manager.

People are often moved from one building to another for 'development opportunities' only to discover they have been sent to fail. Easy way to get rid of someone in the FC. Amazon does not care about its employees.

Treat your employees the way Bezos wants you to treat the customer.

It's all based on leadership roulette.

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest pro for me is the smart, driven coworkers who are passionate about what they're doing. The people on my team are dependable and truly care about their customers, and it's refreshing after previous occupations with people who lazed through the day.

Cons

Your enjoyment at Amazon will boil down to whether or not you like to work a lot for potentially low pay but high emotional satisfaction, and the quality of your management -- or leadership roulette, as I said in the title. If your manager is good, then it's likely you'll enjoy your time at Amazon, even if you're working yourself to the bone. If your manager isn't so good, then it's likely you're going to hate the whole venture. Additionally, there's not a lot of recourse if your manager IS bad -- if they're returning the results the higher ups want to see, they're really not going to do anything about the fact that your manager is bad at their job, regardless of how many times you express your concerns about the situation. (HR's pretty much a dead end too.) Results > people at Amazon. When you're supported by good people, then it's fantastic -- but it can be a nightmare otherwise.

Even when a team is delivering the results you want it to, the team may be operating inefficiently due to breakdowns in command; take employees' comments seriously. The emotional health of a team is equally as important as the results of the team -- otherwise you get burnout, and lose employees quickly and without warning. (It's happened twice in the last three months, for example.) Additionally, an employee's growth is obviously that employee's responsibility, but it's also the responsibility of their manager; managers should have the skills needed to help their direct reports succeed. If a manager doesn't have these skills, then they shouldn't be in that position.

Hard work low pay Like a sweat shop!!

Current Employee - Line Packer in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Line Packer in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think only pro is health benefits.

Cons

So many where to start lets start by being on your feet for 10 hours a day that alone will do you in high turn over rate I started with a group of 10 by the week end we are down to 3 counting me. I would say with warehouse having no AC in Florida it is a nightmare. I know they try to make you feel like a team but your just a number have your team has quota which suck if your stuck on a slow team also supervisors are not out on floor as much a lot people cherry picking what they want to pack and leave all the heavy stuff for you. I have to say for 10.50 and hour it just not worth it and after working at Amazon I will stop shopping there for good. I mean they give you only a 30 min break for working a long 10 hour shift it is crazy you sweat all day and by the time your done all you want to do is go home shower and sleep also with mandatory over time on top of that it just nuts no way to run a company plus you work on Thanksgiving half a day which is lame I can not wait to quit.

Start over and treat your employees better and look at your turn over rate for a reason make changes follow your own core values..

Stress stress and more stress

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work with really good people
    Good pay
    Impact lots of customers
    Work with the edge of technology

Cons

Unreasonable workloads with rediculous deadlines. Combine this with Micromanagement everywhere, you get teams that are miserable and doomed to failure when one or two small things go off track.

This results in insane hours to try to fix things as well as bored out front line managers and engineers.

Let Managers treat their teams better. There are smart people throughout Amazon - let them build.