Amazon.com

4,190 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,802 Ratings

Pros
  • You can definitely learn a lot in short spam in Amazon as they make you work a lot (in 118 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 352 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 636 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Good steady Job, 4 ten hour days a week.

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work schedule is a pro with only working 4 ten hour days a week. Overtime is available most weeks if you want to work it

Cons

Lack of career growth available unless you want to move to a new location/building

Decent work environment

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Can be good to work on products that have such a huge customer base. Despite being such a big company, a lot of the teams are still relatively small.

Cons

On many teams, i've heard the work-life balance can be terrible. It seems like a lot of people here burnout pretty fast. Largely depends on your team though. Career-wise, there aren't too many positions within the Software Engineering career path. The majority of the engineers get to either the SDE 1 or SDE 2 level before they leave.

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

pay every week, overtime and work hours

Cons

short breaks/ lunches, health care

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Trainer
    Current Employee - Trainer

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and projected company growth

Cons

Hard work, Management isn't always forthright, sometimes it seems as though employees voices aren't heard.

Focus more on the success of the associate, not so much the bottom line.

Can be good, but highly dependent on the team

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ironically, the best perk for me is being able to bring my dogs to work. On my team, we've got a solid codebase to work from, a fantastic manager, amazing coworkers, and even our interns can create products that are seen by millions of people. Being able to work on really highly visible projects that have a significant impact is awesome. There is some *really cool stuff* to work on, and a lot of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Amazon doesn't really give a feeling of warm fuzzy caring for its developers. Makes sense, since the profit margin is pretty low and we have to make it up in volume, but the lack of perks and decent developer hardware makes us feel kind of unloved at times ("frugality" is even one of our core leadership principles). I try to think of it as making us morally superior to companies that splurge on pampering the developers, but I do get jealous on occasion.

Also, depending on the team... there can be a lot of obnoxious interference from business managers, randomization, and terrible codebases (we're moving away from Perl as the main language for website templating, but it's not happening nearly fast enough.) And sometimes teams are just meatgrinders - Amazon has a hard time hiring enough to keep up with project growth, much less to keep up with maintenance and OE. I'm also not a huge fan of future-vesting stocks in the place of actual money for bonuses/part of salary.

Good for a few years

Current Employee - Amazon Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Amazon Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Great company to get experience in a fast paced operational environment. Quickly growing company with tons of opportunities for getting promoted.

Cons

Horrible work life balance during the Holidays. Expect to work atleast 55-60 hours through November and December. Very political company with stack ranking type of review. Difficult to find mentors with your best interest in mind. You can get lost in the company if you are not a manager favorite. Depending what building you go to, it can be a nightmare to manage the associates. Most are miserable working for the company and take it out on their manager. Managers are constantly getting in trouble for associates complaining about them, you have to watch your every move. Area Managers do not get offices or any place to put their stuff. They are forced to stand at desks on the operational floor for 12 hours a day. Not a company that you stay with for very long because they burn out their managers so quickly.

Interesting work with very capable people

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

I interned at Amazon for 12 weeks and found the work culture awesome. Many people are willing to help you. A lot to learn.

Cons

My team was a relatively laid back team but other interns mentioned there work at Amazon can be quite inte intesne

They have a very nice training program.

Learning Development Assosiate

Current Employee - L+D Associate in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - L+D Associate in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great growth potential and variety of areas you can be running a team within 3 years as the training is available to you, fantastic meaning to working at Amazon and having the opportunity after only 8 months of promotion was a great plus.

Cons

Work conditions can be a bit tough with heat in the factories however when I left I am aware they were working on this.

More focus of listening to people on the floor and keep up the work of getting people pumped to work for Amazon.

Great company!

Former Employee - CSA in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - CSA in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Concerned about employee welfare, great hours, work from home.

Cons

Manger not involved enough about training or coaching.

Need more coaching and more heads up about expectations.

ISS Representatave

Current Employee - ISS Representative in Chester, VA
    Current Employee - ISS Representative in Chester, VA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It give you the opportunity lo develop a lot of problem solve skills and experience with the vendors and vendor support.

Cons

It do not give you the ability to develop the leadership skills that you need in oder to move up in the company