Amazon.com Reviews

3,489 Reviews

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
2,418 Ratings

Pros
  • Good opportunity to learn a lot in a particular area of software development (in 101 reviews)

• Density of talent: Some really smart people spoiling their careers here (in 306 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is not at all sorry to screw people's work-life balance for itself to excel (in 540 reviews)

• There is literally no work life balance inside this company (in 125 reviews)

More Highlights

it was hard interview

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer IIo  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer IIo in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

good package and i suggest it to every fresher to try for it and get selected and if selected they provide high salary and very good incentives

Cons

hectic work and you should work in rotational shifts mostly on night shifts

Never-ending work with little or no opportunity to advance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This was not an unpleasant company to work for. I was there for 8 years so something must have been good about it. The office culture was mostly great as you were encouraged to be casual, bring your dog to work, and interact with other employees, both on your team and on other teams. I did enjoy that. With the right manager, personal growth was a priority so that was a benefit.

Cons

On the other hand, I found myself constantly working. With the company proudly touting the word "Frugal" as the most important leadership principle, you can get the idea of what it was like. They give everyone a company laptop and silently encourage you to work from home after putting in a full day at the office. Well, maybe not so silently since many times meetings were with other teams in India or Japan or China making calls at odd hours of the day in Seattle.

Pay scale was kinda strange. Being there as long as I was I would have expected higher base pay but that wasn't the case. Everyone around me who did reveal their salary to me was making more even for similar work with shorter time at the company. I did have greater stock awards then they did but even with selling those, my annual take home was much less.

Amazon has this long list of leadership principles which, to most people, really make very little sense. It all sounds great on paper but applying to real life and real work situations it's almost impossible. Yes these principles show up everywhere especially in the lengthy annual performance reviews where you're asked to evaluate yourself, your manager and any peer reviews that requested based on these concepts.

Get some consistency in your responses to situations and employees. Stop treating SDE and other developers like they matter more. There are other ways to innovate that don't involve computer code. Throw some support in that direction once in a while and stop treating the non-technical employees as disposable.

Park yur barin at the door

Former Employee - Warehouse Employee  in  Whitestown, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Employee in Whitestown, IN

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

During peak season, all the overtime you could want, and more. Lots of $$$ to be made, if that is your only objective.

Cons

The mind numbing repetition sucks your will to live. Managers aske "how are you doing", but they REALLY don't want to know. During peak season, a DJ blasts music through the warehouse to create a "fun" atmosphere, but for some people, it's just hell on earth.

Realie that these are PEOPLE working for you, not robots.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Area Manager  in  Patterson, CA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Patterson, CA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging opportunity but you have the opportunity to really meet customer expectations. The organization is very focused on the making the customer and their associates happy.

Cons

Focus more on meeting the need of your management staff. Many of them work long hours and do not feel that their work is appreciated but that it is expected.

Engage your managers similar to the way you engage the associates.

Great

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fast paced work culture
    -New teams have startup atmosphere
    -Learn new stuff daily

Cons

- Oncall pressure
    - Perks could be better

SDE Intern at Amazon Seattle HQ.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great pay. Good working environment. Dog lover. Their internship is one of the best one. You have your own project. Learn a lot from their process. Also easier than some other companies to get return offer.

Cons

Food is bad. Nothing is for free. Don't like company culture.

I don't like the company culture.

be prepared

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

HR department does a tremendous job in selling Amazon (friendliness, perks, "chance for growth within"). Good place for college students before graduation.

Cons

Training material is not thorough and is not timely given to employees. Lots of waste in fulfillment causing frustration. Working conditions good be improved. Extremely slow in advancing employees.

Need to revamp many processes and adapt "lean" business principles.

Great Learning and a big ownership

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Learning and a big ownership - very cross-functional experience, working for a company that is long term focused, very ambitious and puts customer first, very strong culture

Cons

Very intense, not big on formal training (you are expected to learn on the job), most people find work-life balance getting skewed in favor of work, strong culture means you either fit in or would not survive for long

Provide more BI support to business teams, have a process to check the managers who only manage upward

Expect to put in lots of energy, hours of overtime work and carry a pager

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Looks good on CV and friendly colleagues. But then again there're other big tech companies which look good on CV.

Cons

- Expected to put in extra hours and hours of work without paying you overtime salary or other benefits
    - On call and carry a pager. You have to stay home and be close to your work laptop since you are expected to respond within 15 minutes when you get paged.
    - Number of times paged when on call is really plenty or should i say 80-90 percent of the time.
    - Bad mangers and management. Managers have no idea of your work most of the time.
    - Managers hand out more and more projects and deadlines to team members without consideration for the overworked team members.
    - Overworked equals to lack creativity and more errors and mistakes on the job which adds to more work for other team members as well.
    - Lost passion because of bad management and work overload as well as being paged.

Come to your senses and stop saying we will solve the problems and then do nothing about it and expect everyone to be happy and willing to give you our all. Just talk and talk but when it comes to solving and hard questions, pretend you don't know or say we are working on it. What a disappointment to the company and the hard-working employees!

Work hard and have fun

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer I  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer I in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance and great work encironment

Cons

Need to deal with targets and work pressure during Q4

Need to be more transparent on appraisal

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!