Amazon.com

Amazon.com Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos

Jeff Bezos

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hectic yet rewarding career

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Chattanooga, TN

ProsMoney, career development, learning, growing potential, opportunities, stability, brand, recognition, very smart people around this will stretch you to limits you never thought about.

ConsWork - life balance...due to the business model it is hard to meet life and work balance. AMZN won't stop moving forward or fast, you must be willing to put 60-70 hours of work/week, if not this is not the place for you. Q1 and Q3 could be an awful experience if you are not an Amazonian at heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen more.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

One of the worst jobs I've ever had

Picker (Former Employee)
    Murfreesboro, TN

ProsThe money is decent and the hours are okay. You might also get in shape.

ConsYou will hurt yourself, even doing things the right way and the management will try and make it all your fault. I even got a verbal warning for time off task when I threw out my knee trying to satisfy my jerk of a boss and I was on light duty. The quotas that they expect you to meet are COMPLETELY unrealistic and if you try and discuss it with management, they just say "Well, such-and-such makes quota". Yeah, well not everyone is cut from the same cloth. Some people can work super hard and only pick 985 items a day instead of 1000. Punishing them for it is discrimination. If you...pardon me, WHEN you don't make quota, they will treat you like, even tell you, you're not trying. I busted my butt for this place and got treated like a lazy teenager who was just looking for an easy buck. I saw LOTS of hard working people get fired by management who didn't even know their names, much less how hard they worked. What's worse, management will tell you "Hey, were here to help. We're here for you. If you have questions or concerns, bring them to us." Then, when you do, they talk to you like you're dirt, make up excuses, lie, roll their eyes... These are bad people who have learned to sound friendly. The company destroys peoples' bodies, psyches, emotional health and self esteem and then acts like their pathetic for not being able to take it. Of course, management can screw up, be lazy, fail, whatever and it's perfectly okay. There are policies of zero tolerance AND zero accountability. AVOID THIS COMPANY AND DON'T BUY FROM THEM. AMAZON IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Be realistic. Stop lying to, abusing and dismissing your employees. Get out on the floor and try doing your subordinates' jobs for a day more often. And when employees who REALLY DO WORK EXTRA HARD come to you with concerns try not to be a jerk.

Just a temporary job not a career move.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chattanooga, TN

ProsI worked for amazon CHA1 location for over 2 years. The benefits are better than most places, but you pay for it a lot. The overall core values of Amazon is the reason i wanted to work there. But on paper everything looks good.

ConsFavoritism is rampant at Sr management level, Rule is by stick and will take advantage of every possible idea someone else has and then implement as their own. Everything looks good on paper but that is the full extent. Management is changed and lost at an unlivable rate. In two years 5 GMs 4 SR operations managers, 6 ops managers, 8 area managers. I found out through other sights turn over in management is on average 2 to 3 years.
    It is easier to start out in management then to move up from a T3 level. You are expected to perform at 2 levels above your pay grade without a real performance review that matches. Reviews are set at a constant level throughout your time in a position no matter if you perform at 100% or at 150%.
    As stated above in the pros section Amazon core values seem to be top notch but only on paper. FC's do not follow their own leadership principals, or core values except for one majority of the time, to take care of the customer.
    management is to be political in every sense of the word, meaning half truths, lies and deceit. Most managers that do not follow this type of rule do not last. Treating the lower level employees as a number and not people is the norm. Raising rates on employees without a real evaluation of deviations.
    Training is poor to say the least its a sink or swim attitude.
    average turn over rate at T1 is every 6 months this results in the company being able to say that they will being hiring so many more people when in fact the are just replacing.

Cost effectiveness, leadership style will catch up to amazon eventually. The only thing keeping amazon growing and not showing how its internal workings are dangerous to any other company is the customer expansion. Every company will eventually level out as seen in every business, once this does happen the internal management style will show drastic negative numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your management style when it comes to employees, Be truthful, honest, basically practice what you preach. Treating your lower level employees like you care will yield positive results. " cost effective, innovation, true ownership of processes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Area Manager

Amazon Area Manager (Current Employee)
    Charleston, TN

ProsSalary, time off, freedom to change processes, movement up

Consno work life balance, lack of communication

SHADY BUSINESS! DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!

Sales (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsIf you enjoy being taken advantage of, this is your place. You are guaranteed to be spoken down to and embarrassed on multiple levels and occasions.

Consthey will cheat and lie to their advantage every time. They lie to you about what to expect. You cannot get an answer to any real problems. They will manipulate their huge policies and procedures to their benefit and then tell you you're the stupid one for not being familiar with their policies and procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better.

nothing good to say

Pcker (Current Employee)

Prosjob ..getting a pay check

Conshrs. always worried about being replace

Advice to Senior Managementpay moore money

Job, yes. Career, no.

Outbound (Current Employee)
    Murfreesboro, TN

Pros- Stability. In a year and one-half, I've never worked less than forty hours.
    - Variety. Amazon offers the opportunity to work in almost aspect of the business, from receiving to shipping.
    - Overtime. On average, our facility offers fifty hour weeks, for those that want it.
    - Schedule. Four ten hour days, three days off.
    - Shifts. The opportunity to change shifts as your schedule deems fit.
    - Leadership. Through the Ambassador program, Amazon offers entry level 'leadership skills', welcoming new associates into the company/dept.
    - Workload. The amount of work week to week 'weeds out' unproductive workers, most of the time.
    - Technology and Efficiency. Amazon has streamlined the processes where almost anyone can succeed at their job. Its almost (almost) stupid proof, and usually easily correctable when a mistake is made.
    - Benefits. Very cheap and start almost immediately after hire date.
    - Opportunity. Amazon offers the opportunity to open new facilities around the country. They will pay your travel, lodging, meals and overtime pay for the duration of your assignment. This is also your best option for promotion. Amazon offers an attractive compensation package that pays for moving expenses to open new facilities.

Cons- Overtime. Especially around holidays, the company expects you to work mandatory 50-60 hour weeks. To quote something I read on Facebook: 'Amazon, where you OD on OT.'
    - Schedule. During 'peak', those ten hour shifts get longer and longer.
    - Pay. I'd call it 'adequate', but not enough for the amount of work the company asks of you.
    - 'Bonus'. The 'monthly bonus' is calculated on the FC as a whole. So, the person making 80% gets the same paycheck as the person making 180%. Aside from 'positive feedback', the company does not recognize individual achievement when calculating this monthly 'bonus'.
    - Management. I have been working since I was 16 years old, and have never seen this much management turnover in my life. My department alone has gone through four managers and 'leads' in the last 18 months. I can't keep up with all the senior management turnover.
    - Turnover. Not a huge problem in my dept, but as a whole, Amazon has a large turnover rate, more so than most my previous jobs combined. Its hard work, long hours, not friendly to families or the elderly.
    - Constant Change. While this is a condition we signed up for, management is very unclear and nontransparent when it comes to such change. They observe you working with a stop watch and pedometer for a week, turn your dept upside down, raise rates, then expect you to 'adapt' and learn the new process.
    - Promotion, or lack thereof. The competition for these jobs are fierce, and graded on some kind of point system. Most of the time, the most qualified fail this system and the least qualified candidate gets the position. Despite the companies claim to transparency, the veil of secrecy surrounding these jobs remains shrouded.

Advice to Senior Management- Listen to your associates more often. We know the job, do it everyday, some inclusion in radical redesign of layout and procedures would be nice.
    - There needs to be more transparency when it comes to promotion opportunities.
    - The monthly 'bonus' should include individual achievements. It is grossly unfair that an under performer should get the same paycheck as someone who exceeds rate and makes the effort to show up on time everyday.

grueling work and almost impossible standards, sweatshop

Shipper/Stower (Former Employee)
    Chattanooga, TN

Prosif you really need a job, their pay is above some places

Cons12 hour shifts with little notice, long way to tightly monitored breakroom, cannot sit down on job.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your workers, they still want to do their job correctly

Fast pace company. The company is willing to let you try something new.

Strategy Intern (Former Employee)
    Chattanooga, TN

ProsLots of opportunity. Can do a lot of innovation improvements.

ConsHigh pressure. Fast pace. Data and result oriented

They have NO respect for their employees.

Associate, Ambassador Picker, Packer, Sorter Etc (Current Employee)
    Charleston, TN

ProsI would not suggest anyone to work for Amazon unless you want to be treated badly.

ConsIt is hard to get the production rate because everytime you turn around they are changing the pick paths so that it is harder for you to get rate. Once you get the rate in any department then they want to change thing so that you can't get the rate. They don't want their employees to work their long they just want temp employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to have respect for employees and you will get more and better work out of them.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Amazon.com Videos

Amazon.com – Why Work for Us?

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings in Tennessee — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.