Amcom Software

Amcom Software Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Amcom Software President Colin Balmforth

Colin Balmforth

Overall, a great place to build up skills and move around, or forward with a career. Often seems to be a stepping stone.

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time

ProsEveryone is overall friendly and ready to talk. Overall, people are recognized for their talents. Also, individuals can make a positive impact on their department with enough effort.

ConsThe health plan...had better benefits before it was bought by USA Mobility.

Also, the company gets more business than it can handle, but still takes on the responsibilities. It often causes departments like Development, Support and Services to stretch themselves and really wear down on the employees.

It isn't expected of you to do more than you were hired for, but you'll find yourself unsuspectingly working longer hours then you'd expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstandably, its hard to balance the mission of an organization with the desires of the employees, but time devoted to skill building would be greatly appreciated. Application of a 80/20 rule, like Google implements, could see benefits overall.

Too many changes too little support

Remote, OR

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time for more than a year

ProsMost people are nice. The product has a good concept.

ConsNo training, and direction keeps changing. Run away as fast as you can. This company is toxic. Most peole are dissatified with their positions and management is not in tune with the market. The merger has sucked out the fiber of the company and now expect folks to just be happy they have a job. There is a general resentment of having to pay salesor any of the supporting roles any commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Work to fix the internal issues before making or buying another company. Be more transparent with employees. Address the internal conflicts.

Company seems to have the opinion that working for them is a privilege and aren't you lucky that you even have a job?

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time

ProsNew technology and innovative product line keep things interesting.

ConsSome management seem to be completely clueless and are only motivated by numbers or have questionable motivations. I've seen some pretty bad decisions made that make things more difficult on the employees and customers alike. More and more 'perks' are being done away with as we move to a unified environment. Unrealistic expectations on employees, people get taken advantage of. We keep on hearing that things are getting better, but in reality they are getting worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand this is a large business, but more attention should be paid to quality rather than quantity. Invest a little more in keeping the employees motivated appropriately, rather than taking away those little things we look forward to and having ever increasing expectations thrust upon us.

Excellent company focused on Healthcare

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Amcom Software full-time

ProsGood company to work for. Family atmosphere before management change.

ConsChange in philosophys and management has dynamically changed how they interact with customers and clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave solutions vetted before roll out

Exceptional place to work!

I have been working at Amcom Software

Pros- great team-oriented culture where people are more than willing to help out
- feel valued for the work that you do and know you're making a difference
- fun culture with great social activities and a casual dress code

ConsHonestly, nothing I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery transparent company where leaders seem to have a good grasp on the future plans, opportunities, competition, etc. of the company. As an employee, I feel that leadership is trustworthy and you know what's going on with the company, which is great!

Good experience but not a very exciting or fun internship.

Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Amcom Software as an intern for less than a year

ProsSmall company, very friendly people, working on products that matter and can help in saving lives. Fairly relaxed work environment. Great experience in a real work environment and working with the Agile development methodology.

ConsDidn't feel very included as an intern; wasn't introduced to very many people/other areas of the business, wasn't invited to meetings, didn't really have an idea of what was going in other areas of the business or in the business as a whole. Didn't really have any idea of the how or why, wasn't that interested in the products, was just given bits and pieces of work to do. Day-to-day work was rather uninteresting. Felt relieved when the internship was over.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Small Company that is Growing

Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time for more than a year

Pros-Casual dress code, you can wear jeans and T-shirt if you'd like or Shorts/flipflops in the summer, Baseball caps are allowed.
-Breakfast provided every Friday, along with free coffee/tea every day.
-Company is growing and acquiring more business and constantly hiring people.
-Great place to learn a lot of different aspects of technology. Linux, Java, apache, Databases, sql queries, custom software applications that run on Windows. Plus a bunch more.

Cons- having to take on call (they do tell you up front in the interview) but they don't really say how intense it is, expect upwards of 20 cases in one oncall period (M-F or F-Sun). You do get compensated for on-call, but in the end it's not really worth it. and throws off the whole work/life balance thing.
- Development is difficult to work with
- Amcom was recently purchased by Another company and we have been taking on alot of their products to support, but not getting the required training.
- No opportunities to advance within the company outside of the department
- Constantly acquiring new products to support but not getting the sufficient training to support the product.
- In getting the new products there is no process in place for hand off between old company and Amcom
- They took away the holiday potlucks and early release for holidays, doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but they had these practices in place for over 5 years.
- In being acquired by another company and the CEO leaving and getting a new CEO the "Small business, family feel" is slowly fading away.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop adding so many products for us to support. Stop giving the same 4 or 5 people all the on-call shifts. People are getting burnt out so have something in place so we can move beyond support and grow our career with a company we love.

Software engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmall company environment, a lot of growth

Consno excise room, lunch break is boring

Great opportunities for knowledge advancement, excellent employee recognition, but career burnout!

Technical Support Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Amcom Software

ProsEmployee recognition is the best I've ever experienced and there are opportunities for advancement. Management feedback is stellar and the selection process for promotions is extremely fair. Fun and challenging work environment, great small company feel.

ConsHuman Resources micro-managed absolutely everthing. Senior management would commit to executive decisions without using any democractic or negotiating tactics. Although they claimed they were all for balance between personal and work lives it seemed as if it was an unsaid expectation that you work 60 to 70 hours a week. Burnout was common among most of the employees. Health benefits were reasonably priced, but the coverage was pretty poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to assess the burnout potential and stress levels of your employees. You need to take a more democractic approach when planning and making decisions.

A great place to work and develop your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Amcom Software

ProsGreat people to work with. Very transparent company, they share everything with you. Willing to invest time, money and resources in order to get the job done. Extremely professional.

ConsThey tend to run out of product in stock and have extremely long lead times on pagers and middleware devices.

Worked for Amcom Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amcom Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amcom Software CEO Colin Balmforth. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Amcom Software employees.