Amcom Software Reviews

3.8
Colin Balmforth

1. Cool products and solutions, great people, and big name customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a team-oriented, collaborative environment. Team members are willing to help each other out and people care a lot about the customer. It is awesome to work for a technology company where the products are focused on improving the safety and lives of community members whether it be in a healthcare, university, or just general public setting. In most roles, Amcom offers a lot of flexibility as well as a casual dress code. There are company meetings every month where leaders share information on company performance, department updates and new product features. Compared to past employers, I feel well informed working at this company.

Cons

Every company changes, some quicker than others. Amcom is going through a lot of change because of growth and that has brought both challenges and opportunities. While much of it is positive, some people are adapting well to the changes while others are not.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and to listen to employees.

2. Engineer

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time

Pros

Decent place to work for

Cons

Old people in the company

Advice to Management

Better pay

3. Manager

Pros

The two best reasons are gone, Chris Heim and Dan Mayleben

Cons

Declining business, heavy increase in overhead and lower cash flow -- are layoffs near. ? CEO is clueless just get honest answers from senior managers -- plenty of ego Products are unreliable Core applications are end of life and this has been hidden from customers of Xtend and Amcom

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO with a true technology leader

5. Too many changes too little support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are nice. The product has a good concept.

Cons

No training, and direction keeps changing. Run away as fast as you can. This company is toxic. Most peole are dissatified with their positions and management is not in tune with the market. The merger has sucked out the fiber of the company and now expect folks to just be happy they have a job. There is a general resentment of having to pay salesor any of the supporting roles any commission.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Work to fix the internal issues before making or buying another company. Be more transparent with employees. Address the internal conflicts.

Company seems to have the opinion that working for them is a privilege and aren't you lucky that you even have a job?

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time

Pros

New technology and innovative product line keep things interesting.

Cons

Some management seem to be completely clueless and are only motivated by numbers or have questionable motivations. I've seen some pretty bad decisions made that make things more difficult on the employees and customers alike. More and more 'perks' are being done away with as we move to a unified environment. Unrealistic expectations on employees, people get taken advantage of. We keep on hearing that things are getting better, but in reality they are getting worse.

Advice to Management

I understand this is a large business, but more attention should be paid to quality rather than quantity. Invest a little more in keeping the employees motivated appropriately, rather than taking away those little things we look forward to and having ever increasing expectations thrust upon us.

7. Overall, a great place to build up skills and move around, or forward with a career. Often seems to be a stepping stone.

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time

Pros

Everyone is overall friendly and ready to talk. Overall, people are recognized for their talents. Also, individuals can make a positive impact on their department with enough effort.

Cons

The health plan...had better benefits before it was bought by USA Mobility. Also, the company gets more business than it can handle, but still takes on the responsibilities. It often causes departments like Development, Support and Services to stretch themselves and really wear down on the employees. It isn't expected of you to do more than you were hired for, but you'll find yourself unsuspectingly working longer hours then you'd expect.

Advice to Management

Understandably, its hard to balance the mission of an organization with the desires of the employees, but time devoted to skill building would be greatly appreciated. Application of a 80/20 rule, like Google implements, could see benefits overall.

8. Excellent company focused on Healthcare

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Amcom Software full-time

Pros

Good company to work for. Family atmosphere before management change.

Cons

Change in philosophys and management has dynamically changed how they interact with customers and clients.

Advice to Management

Have solutions vetted before roll out

Exceptional place to work!

Pros

- great team-oriented culture where people are more than willing to help out - feel valued for the work that you do and know you're making a difference - fun culture with great social activities and a casual dress code

Cons

Honestly, nothing I can think of.

Advice to Management

Very transparent company where leaders seem to have a good grasp on the future plans, opportunities, competition, etc. of the company. As an employee, I feel that leadership is trustworthy and you know what's going on with the company, which is great!

Small Company that is Growing

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Casual dress code, you can wear jeans and T-shirt if you'd like or Shorts/flipflops in the summer, Baseball caps are allowed. -Breakfast provided every Friday, along with free coffee/tea every day. -Company is growing and acquiring more business and constantly hiring people. -Great place to learn a lot of different aspects of technology. Linux, Java, apache, Databases, sql queries, custom software applications that run on Windows. Plus a bunch more.

Cons

- having to take on call (they do tell you up front in the interview) but they don't really say how intense it is, expect upwards of 20 cases in one oncall period (M-F or F-Sun). You do get compensated for on-call, but in the end it's not really worth it. and throws off the whole work/life balance thing. - Development is difficult to work with - Amcom was recently purchased by Another company and we have been taking on alot of their products to support, but not getting the required training. - No opportunities to advance within the company outside of the department - Constantly acquiring new products to support but not getting the sufficient training to support the product. - In getting the new products there is no process in place for hand off between old company and Amcom - They took away the holiday potlucks and early release for holidays, doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but they had these practices in place for over 5 years. - In being acquired by another company and the CEO leaving and getting a new CEO the "Small business, family feel" is slowly fading away.

Advice to Management

Stop adding so many products for us to support. Stop giving the same 4 or 5 people all the on-call shifts. People are getting burnt out so have something in place so we can move beyond support and grow our career with a company we love.

11. Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Amcom Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company environment, a lot of growth

Cons

no excise room, lunch break is boring

RSS Feed </> Embed