Amdocs Reviews

Reset
4.0
Amdocs President, CEO, and Director Eli Gelman
Eli Gelman

Pros
  • They try to encourage a work/life balance (in 89 reviews)

• depending on project/location - work culture varies (in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • The worst part involved the infamous lack of work/life balance (in 153 reviews)

• Management seems proud that there is no work life balance (in 40 reviews)

Amdocs: Intense, International and Absolutely Rewarding

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in San Jose, CA

Pros

The top 3 reasons to work @ Amdocs: 1. The ability to easily travel the world, and relocate to other countries. I started with Amdocs in South East Asia, moved with them to Europe for a few years, and now in the US. There is no friction to relocate to another country, if there is a position available that suits your skills. There is a knowledgeable relocation department that organizes visas, moves, etc. 2. If you're into IT, and specifically, enterprise software, you will face some of the most complex challenges that exist in this space. End to end implementations that span every touch point of the customer experience: sales, ordering, customer relationship management, billing, service management, OSS, activation & provisioning, service assurance, fulfillment; literally 1000's of business processes, spanning multiple sub-verticals: wireless, wireline, IPTV, Content, Broadband, Cable, Satellite, High Tech Manufacturing. This is a place where you can make communications YOUR area of expertise. End to end. 3. Diversity of culture Amdocs has over 17500 employees, spread across the world (over 52 countries). There are over 9 development centers, in the US, Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, literally everywhere. We have customers all over the globe, and all of them are tier 1-2 service providers. You get to interact with ton s of people with a wide background, from our colleagues at Longshine in China, to our friends down in Australia, etc. This is truly an international environment, with business running 24/7 spanning all timezones.

Cons

3 downsides of working @ Amdocs 1. If you work in the product management or marketing fields, then beware: one look at the Annual Report (which I recommend you download and read if you're considering a job here) will tell you that we are a very service centric company. Even though we are pushing hard to get our product heritage to market, a vast majority of our revenue comes from customized solutions, and managed services deals. This makes it very difficult to effectively manage your product in such a service centric environment. Because Amdocs has a track record of always completing a project (Amdocs does most of its implementations), this can de-stabilize product roadmap activities as R&D resources get recommitted to making our customers complex implementations successful. You will have to be able to juggle these priorities, as firedrills will happen. On the other hand, we are known for our successful implementations (unlike an infamous competitor of ours... ;0) 2. Bi-Polarization A large part of Amdocs' senior management team is based in Israel. This creates almost a nucleus of managerial power. This also sometimes creates a sense of disconnect with the heart of the organization. This can affect some more than others. I suspect that our colleagues based in Australia, India, or South Africa, or even LATAM feel this more than the European and North American offices. You will have to be prepared to travel frequently to Israel to keep your visibility going, and make sure that you can gain traction with your market and product initiatives. The managerial responsibilities are globalizing gradually, so there is signs of improvement here.

Advice to Management

If you truly want Amdocs to become a "premier" software company, then we need to allocate significantly more R&D budget in order to effectively compete and meet market demands. Having an end to end set of products that span BSS to OSS is excellent. The CES Blueprint (see amdocs.com/ces) is a great vision that speaks to our customers: yet, we need to execute on it through faster time to integration, lower TCO, and clear ROI.

2. Amdocs is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Consultant in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Richardson, TX

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

Consulting can require much travel.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to change.

Dysfunctional, foreign, but they keep paying me well and we've got complimentary beer.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Benefits, relative stability. I attempted to resign once, but was given a large pay increase if I agreed to stay. Things didn't really change, but I was basically paid to stop whining and get back to work. That's cool I suppose.

Cons

There are some cultural challenges to overcome. Amdocs has offices all over with the world with it's global HQ in Israel. It's difficult to advocate US software engineering practices to a large organization with thousands of developers in places like India, China and Cyprus.

Advice to Management

Consider a paradigm shift with the current business model. Mobile telecommunication (ATT, Sprint, etc.) may not rule the world forever. Don't ignore technical advances in this space by google in others, just because it may offend our long time clients.

5. You won't starve at work!!

Current Employee - Senior SME in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior SME in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Good pantry.. On a serious note the pay is good. &You have good chances to get ahead if you are in ur manager's in-group.

Cons

There is a bias towards Israelis

Advice to Management

It'll be great to see Amdocs as culturally cosmopolitan.. There are right now ppl from many countries,but many non Israelis still feel uncomfortable with the company culture & opportunities

6. Good place to be if you'll change possition often.

Current Employee - Group Leader in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Redmond, WA

Pros

Career Opportunities, Work/Life Balance, Fairness

Cons

Communication, Employee Morale, Respect, Benefits

Advice to Management

More transparency is needed. Internal audit is needed to uncover management improvement points. Measurements are needed to be unified

7. So far, so good.

Current Employee - Senior SME
    Current Employee - Senior SME

Pros

They seem to care about thier employees. Nice extra: Snacks are provided, good beneifts, extra days and money are given as gifts for weddings and birth of a child. Overal, the company treats its employees much better than other companies i have worked for. Senior management really doesn't like to sugarcoat its messages, and then may be putting off to people who are used to the usual song and dance most companies executives give thier employees.

Cons

Haven't worked here long enough to know of any.

Advice to Management

The talk has been straight forward, just make sure to back up those words with action.

8. Great benefits, but culture needs improvement

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

It offers flexibility in schedule and family friendly. The benefits and compensation plans are competitive with others in the industry so I am satisfied with my salary and compensation. They also offer bonuses for outstanding acheivement which is a plus. I really like my team and my director.

Cons

The culture. It needs to motivate employees more. A lot of attrition but there does not seem to be a proactive approach to retain the top talent that are leaving.

Advice to Management

Have better communication

9. Lots of opportunities if you can deal with the downsides

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Chance to travel, interact with employees from a variety of backgrounds and lots of work on advanced software and technologies. It is not difficult to travel and participate in other projects once you are an expert in your field and have done some basic networking with your peers.

Cons

Very long work hours. Occasionally inflexible policies made from "on high" that have unintended consequences because of insufficient investigation about the actual problem. Some coworkers can be difficult to work with because of cultural differences and expectations.

Advice to Management

Spend more time assuring the accuracy of the information you receive. Specifically spreadsheets and numbers that are used to make policy decisions.

10. Good people, cool technology

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Adheres to solid engineering practices. Friendly and collegial staff. Some budget for having fun. Great location, near Pike Place Market, on the waterfront.

Cons

Feel jerked around by HQ in Israel, loss of local control. Senior management is not stable. Few customers, but they are big -- so there is a power mismatch. Because of the customers, it sometimes seems like Amdocs is enabling the "dark side", technology that profits from telecom end-users, but not necessarily customer-centric. Scummy workplace neighborhood in Belltown.

Advice to Management

Encourage staff to have fun while working, to build morale and teamwork. Stay at the waterfront location. Try harder to establish a local corporate identity -- like the old "Qpassion".

Amdocs

Former Employee - Director in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Chesterfield, MO

Pros

Amdocs is a large enough company to be strong and resourceful in the market, but small enough to be nimble and decisive when needed. The company is multi-national and multi-cultural with a presence in over 50 countries. Employees are strongly encouraged to think outside the box and find new ways of doing things. Amdocs has some of the brightest and hardest working people that I've ever been associated with in my 25-year IT career. The company is agressive and dynamic with plenty of challenges and rewards, especially for Type A personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment. The company has some great leading edge products and one of the best software delivery records in the world. Amdocs prides itself on doing whatever it takes.

Cons

There can be some stigma working at Amdocs. Historically, the company has been seen as overly agressive with both its customers and employees. Amdocs managerment may be perceived as pushy or arrogant by some customers, and employees are sometimes overworked and complain about their work/life balance. The company is very strong on the technical skill side, but has room to grow on the people skills side.

Advice to Management

From a pure business standpoint, Amdocs is doing well and remains profitable for its shareholders. Customers sometimes struggle with Amdocs' business model but they are generally happy with the company's products and services. The remaining stakeholder group, Amdocs employees, is where more improvements are needed, especially related to employee retention and work/life balance.

Showing 566 of 1,549 reviews