Amec Foster Wheeler Reviews

Reset
3.5
Amec Foster Wheeler Chief Executive Samir Brikho
Samir Brikho

Pros
  • Great ethos on work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits working away from home, good training scheme (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Weak Management, lack of communication (in 6 reviews)

• Unless they are brimming with projects, there is an issue with job security (in 5 reviews)

1. Senior Project Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Talented and professional discipline team members.

Cons

Schedules and poor communications between disciplines for what their needs are.

Advice to Management

Work on management of change

2. Good environment and good people, mediocre policy enforcement

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time

Pros

The guys you work with daily and talk to daily are good people.

Cons

Upper management will allow other satellite offices dictate how you are to do your job even though they have no experience about your discipline. Being an engineer, it is common knowledge that you must possess the ability to accept change and growth. However, the job duties I applied for in the original job description are completely different than the job duties currently required. Safety beyond Zero is a joke. I was told to do something in regards to a ladder and vertical heights which completely violated every safety code violation there is. I got yelled at when I was not even able to properly review aspects in field because I cat climb an 8 foot ladder to get to a 15 foot roof.

Advice to Management

Promote an environment of comfortable communication for your employees. I personally did not ever feel comfortable. Also, try and remember what your employees tell you during the interview process of what they know how to do and what they don't. It's tough months into the job and then you're expected to be the expert on an area you were told you did not know. Lastly, please ensure that new employees are properly initiated and given the time to review company policy, safety, and all the other massive undertaking just to begin.

3. Noisy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company with good benefit

Cons

Not many projects (laying off)

Advice to Management

Get more project

Former employee, after 10 years -lay off, no projects.

Former Employee - Designer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Designer II in Houston, TX

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler (More than 8 years)

Pros

That was interesting to work with nice people.

Cons

Last time-no projects, no work.

Advice to Management

To do responsibilities: find projects and give work employees.

I would work for them, again.

Former Employee - Piping Designer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Piping Designer II in Houston, TX

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Amec Foster Wheeler are: the people are very helpful and patient, especially with new department recruits; the upper management personnel strive to make sure their people are being paid adequately and are happy; there was always work to be done; the benefits were great.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at Amec Foster Wheeler are: location, the merge from Foster Wheeler to Amec Foster Wheeler, the unexpected loss of jobs due to the merger.

7. Technical Professional 1

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime pay 1.5x. good coffee

Cons

Poor management and communication. Rude project managers. unfeasible expectations.

Advice to Management

pay junior employees more. Give employees time to learn. Dont blame employees for management problems. Target better projects.

Good company, experiencing growing pains currently

Current Employee - Fied Engineer in Boulder City, NV
    Current Employee - Fied Engineer in Boulder City, NV

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, my managers have been willing to work with me and help me grow in my career, which has been the biggest benefit to my employment. I think I am compensated fairy, but I am not sure (no other professional experience outside of my time here). My managers do not usually micromanage me, they allow me to make my own decisions for the most part and allow me to learn and try new things. If they feel I'm on an unproductive path, they will intervene. If I need support, I can go to them and I feel comfortable doing so.

Cons

Construction group still has a "smaller company" feel, but is making the steady march toward a large corporate environment. Some company goals seem to be too aggressive and without sufficient execution plans. Seems like in order to be more competitive, the company has decided to make compensations trimmer and trimmer, as well as bonuses. It's also seems like new employees hiring In at the same level as I, are compensated differently which is frustrating. "Career path" options are not clearly defined and communicated, Professional Development Review (PDR) system is poorly executed and not reinforced well enough. Bonuses are not consistent (with regard to frequency, or amount, system seems too subjective and subject to influences outside of your control, i.e. excellent performance is not a good metric or insurance for bonus likelihood here). Expense reporting system is poor and inconsistent for some parts of the company, expenses can take as little as 1 week and as much as 6-8 weeks to receive depending on the part of the organization you work in.

Advice to Management

Please remember how important it is to develop a relationship with your subordinates and have some understanding of their working style. It is absolutely critical to an employee's mental health and success to fee comfortable talking to their superior (in a professional manner) about their concerns, their goals, and their aspirations. It's equally important to follow through on whatever action you suggest or agree to. Don't make promises you can't keep, be as clear as possible on your intentions, I understand you may not always be able to divulge all of the information, but being cryptic or withholding information only breeds skepticism among your subordinates.

Slow Transition

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time

Pros

Good work environment, professional peers, good benefits.

Cons

Poor internal communication during ongoing integration. New work process not yet in place.

Advice to Management

Provide feedback to employees regarding current and future project prospects. Good personnel may leave the company soon due to the lack of communication.

10. EVP

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perryville, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perryville, NJ

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employee involvement. Proactive initiatives geared toward employee training. Active encouragements for employee advancement within the organization.

Cons

The corporate pay schedules are somewhat dated. Communication form management to employees is fair at best. Heavy dedication toward oil & gas.

Advice to Management

The employees are the most important asset within the company and they should be dealt with with frankness with respect to corporate goals and financial position.

11. San Diego Office a great place to work!

Current Employee - Aquatic Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Aquatic Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable staff and approachable management (for most departments). My group, aquatic sciences, is a super fun group to work in with amazing senior management. I'm very happy in my position.

Cons

It's a large company so there's a chance to get lost in the shuffle. Recent merger has added some additional emphasis on individuals as numbers and not people.

Advice to Management

Bridge the gap! More events that unite staff. Be mindful of over-hiring instead of training existing personnel.

RSS Feed </> Embed