Amec Foster Wheeler Reviews

Reset
3.4
Amec Foster Wheeler Chief Executive Samir Brikho
Samir Brikho

Pros
  • Great ethos on work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits working away from home, good training scheme (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Weak Management, lack of communication (in 6 reviews)

• Unless they are brimming with projects, there is an issue with job security (in 5 reviews)

1. Former employee, after 10 years -lay off, no projects.

Former Employee - Designer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Designer II in Houston, TX

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler (More than 8 years)

Pros

That was interesting to work with nice people.

Cons

Last time-no projects, no work.

Advice to Management

To do responsibilities: find projects and give work employees.

2. I would work for them, again.

Former Employee - Piping Designer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Piping Designer II in Houston, TX

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Amec Foster Wheeler are: the people are very helpful and patient, especially with new department recruits; the upper management personnel strive to make sure their people are being paid adequately and are happy; there was always work to be done; the benefits were great.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at Amec Foster Wheeler are: location, the merge from Foster Wheeler to Amec Foster Wheeler, the unexpected loss of jobs due to the merger.

3. Good company, experiencing growing pains currently

Current Employee - Fied Engineer in Boulder City, NV
    Current Employee - Fied Engineer in Boulder City, NV

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, my managers have been willing to work with me and help me grow in my career, which has been the biggest benefit to my employment. I think I am compensated fairy, but I am not sure (no other professional experience outside of my time here). My managers do not usually micromanage me, they allow me to make my own decisions for the most part and allow me to learn and try new things. If they feel I'm on an unproductive path, they will intervene. If I need support, I can go to them and I feel comfortable doing so.

Cons

Construction group still has a "smaller company" feel, but is making the steady march toward a large corporate environment. Some company goals seem to be too aggressive and without sufficient execution plans. Seems like in order to be more competitive, the company has decided to make compensations trimmer and trimmer, as well as bonuses. It's also seems like new employees hiring In at the same level as I, are compensated differently which is frustrating. "Career path" options are not clearly defined and communicated, Professional Development Review (PDR) system is poorly executed and not reinforced well enough. Bonuses are not consistent (with regard to frequency, or amount, system seems too subjective and subject to influences outside of your control, i.e. excellent performance is not a good metric or insurance for bonus likelihood here). Expense reporting system is poor and inconsistent for some parts of the company, expenses can take as little as 1 week and as much as 6-8 weeks to receive depending on the part of the organization you work in.

Advice to Management

Please remember how important it is to develop a relationship with your subordinates and have some understanding of their working style. It is absolutely critical to an employee's mental health and success to fee comfortable talking to their superior (in a professional manner) about their concerns, their goals, and their aspirations. It's equally important to follow through on whatever action you suggest or agree to. Don't make promises you can't keep, be as clear as possible on your intentions, I understand you may not always be able to divulge all of the information, but being cryptic or withholding information only breeds skepticism among your subordinates.

5. Slow Transition

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time

Pros

Good work environment, professional peers, good benefits.

Cons

Poor internal communication during ongoing integration. New work process not yet in place.

Advice to Management

Provide feedback to employees regarding current and future project prospects. Good personnel may leave the company soon due to the lack of communication.

6. EVP

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perryville, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perryville, NJ

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employee involvement. Proactive initiatives geared toward employee training. Active encouragements for employee advancement within the organization.

Cons

The corporate pay schedules are somewhat dated. Communication form management to employees is fair at best. Heavy dedication toward oil & gas.

Advice to Management

The employees are the most important asset within the company and they should be dealt with with frankness with respect to corporate goals and financial position.

7. San Diego Office a great place to work!

Current Employee - Aquatic Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Aquatic Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable staff and approachable management (for most departments). My group, aquatic sciences, is a super fun group to work in with amazing senior management. I'm very happy in my position.

Cons

It's a large company so there's a chance to get lost in the shuffle. Recent merger has added some additional emphasis on individuals as numbers and not people.

Advice to Management

Bridge the gap! More events that unite staff. Be mindful of over-hiring instead of training existing personnel.

8. AMEC Foster Wheeler

Current Employee - Finance in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Finance in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler

Pros

good pay and some positions are OT eligble

Cons

recent purchase of Foster Wheeler, changes coming down the pike

9. poor mangement

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler

Pros

grows by acquiring other small companies

Cons

limited opportunities, short sighted management, too many bosses

10. Definitely one of ones to watch in 2015

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer 6 in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer 6 in Katy, TX

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worldwide locations, Excellent compensation package. Friendly and helpful employees.

Cons

Some of the Houston office work is being awarded to other worldwide locations and they are having to lay off American workers in the Houston office.

Advice to Management

Push back on AMECs tendency to ship work overseas. These projects started in Houston, let's keep them in Houston.

11. Must learn on the fly in stressful workplace

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler

Pros

Lots of good worker bees, can learn a lot depending on how much you invest yourself Benefits are standard to industry, pay is ok, work-life balance is ok if you stick to a schedule Opportunity to work on global projects and travel the world

Cons

Disconnected senior management who do not seem to understand challenges of the worker bees and do not support them with tangible and practical solutions and support The way "valued" staff are treated would suggest otherwise and makes you want to be an un-motivated clock-puncher Strong pressure on being reimbursable and to meet the bottom line; some departments and staff have immunity regardless of market reality or poor performance

Advice to Management

Need stronger leadership from the bottom. Why so many senior managers with vague "leadership" positions? Proportion of senior managers to reimbursable staff is over-weighted If people are the company's greatest asset, stop treating worker bees as a revenue stream or have people rationalize why they should be employed by the company whilst doing 2 to 3 jobs

RSS Feed </> Embed